Canadian Premier League

ted

3 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

On another note, I fully believe Anthony Totera could be President some day.

If that's the case we may as well not even bother with the league. He may be passionate but in my eyes is more of a self-promoter and a loudmouth dimwit. I wouldn't let him run a church bingo.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, longlugan said:

If that's the case we may as well not even bother with the league. He may be passionate but in my eyes is more of a self-promoter and a loudmouth dimwit. I wouldn't let him run a church bingo.

I think it was more of a Trump reference. 

Though I prefer the rambly Don Cherry comparison 

2 hours ago, longlugan said:

Yeah, it was a Trump reference.

4 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

Yeah, it was a Trump reference.

Whew...in that case my apologies...it did seem weird for you to propose him as head of this league. Just to clarify I'm not a Totera hater by any means...he just is what he is.

Lol okay last pitch for hypothetical support of my modified pro/rel idea

Imagine the entire season, the recently promoted L1 squad is gonna have anyone in any way related to a potential challenger team watching like "omg is the door going to be open or not!?  They're hovering around 6th!". 

You have to admit it would create compelling drama.  

Also, if the window is closed, you could have a system where teams from several years qualify when the window does open.  Say if you finish 1st in L1O two years in a row you get a bye but if two different teams finish first in PLSQ they have to square of in a prelim round.

Does that make sense?

32 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/soccer/canadian-soccer-association-to-choose-successor-for-victor-montagliani-421453353.html

Both of the leading candidates for CSA president see CPL as one of the two pillars of the future of Canadian soccer (the other being 2026)

Thanks for the article. Given what I've heard about the past Smale scares me a little wanting to give the provinces more of a say.  That being said can't really judge from one small article lol.

7 hours ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

Lol okay last pitch for hypothetical support of my modified pro/rel idea

Imagine the entire season, the recently promoted L1 squad is gonna have anyone in any way related to a potential challenger team watching like "omg is the door going to be open or not!?  They're hovering around 6th!". 

You have to admit it would create compelling drama.  

Also, if the window is closed, you could have a system where teams from several years qualify when the window does open.  Say if you finish 1st in L1O two years in a row you get a bye but if two different teams finish first in PLSQ they have to square of in a prelim round.

Does that make sense?

NO

4 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

Of course I'm courteous.  I really respect you as a poster.  

I just don't ever see need for pro/rel to ever happen in Canada.  It's a solution to a problem we will never have.

Dare to dream ;) 

ain't saying you're wrong just spitballing about how it could be done if so.

thats the point of message boards right?

soon enough we'll have more to talk about.

36 minutes ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

lol no need to be a dick

I don't mean to be and I do respect you as a poster but I see this as such pie-in- the-sky wishful thinking that it makes no sense to me to be wasting time on this topic. Trust me many of my dreams for this league aren't anchored in reality either but I won't waste anyone's time with them until Hamilton Steelers/United/City win the Club World Cup over Bayern Munich :huh:. My apologies if I offended you.

1 hour ago, longlugan said:

I don't mean to be and I do respect you as a poster but I see this as such pie-in- the-sky wishful thinking that it makes no sense to me to be wasting time on this topic. Trust me many of my dreams for this league aren't anchored in reality either but I won't waste anyone's time with them until Hamilton Steelers/United/City win the Club World Cup over Bayern Munich :huh:. My apologies if I offended you.

all good.  I know it's fairly pie in the sky but I'm kinda bored and we have no news.  I have too much time to day dream on the LRT these days.

I expect we will get some news tomorrow.  

The CanPL vote will pass unanimously I'm sure.  Montagliani is behind it,  all the candidates to replace him are behind it and guys like Nick Bontis are actively campaigning for it.  It will be a slam dunk.

Then most of the mainstream media will run a story on it and I hope more details start to come out.

10 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

I expect we will get some news tomorrow.  

The CanPL vote will pass unanimously I'm sure.  Montagliani is behind it,  all the candidates to replace him are behind it and guys like Nick Bontis are actively campaigning for it.  It will be a slam dunk.

Then most of the mainstream media will run a story on it and I hope more details start to come out.

I seriously hope we hear almost nothing until the formal announcement. The launch needs coverage and coverage of the ratification could seriously deflate it and weaken its needed impact.

I'm really surprised that I'm antsy today regarding some kind of word on the vote.  Not that I doubt it happens/passes but an anticipation antsy.

Nothing really important but bored and work and felt like sharing that lol

23 hours ago, Rheo said:

Thanks for the article. Given what I've heard about the past Smale scares me a little wanting to give the provinces more of a say.  That being said can't really judge from one small article lol.

I've always hated campaign slogans like that - you're running to lead a soccer association, not defend everyone's once-glorious liberties in their now-trampled fiefdoms.  Always struck me as a lack of vision.

Archived