Canadian Premier League

ted

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, matty said:

That actually seems plausible what with the new D3

That's not the only way this can be interpreted:

The USL president has admitted to have had “started some pretty substantial conversations” with the Canadian Soccer Association “in terms of how we can help.”

given the original plan was a Canadian division of the NASL.

3 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

That's not the only way this can be interpreted:

The USL president has admitted to have had “started some pretty substantial conversations” with the Canadian Soccer Association “in terms of how we can help.”

given the original plan was a Canadian division of the NASL.

I don't think either, them as the reservist league or what you seem to be implying, is at all likely.

BTW just curious for your thoughts on the recent concerns about the seeming lack of anyone in the pipeline to take over for Guzan and Howard. It seems there is a fair bit on concern over the way MLS handle goalkeepers and how they're trained in the US system. Is it well placed or is it being overblown?

9 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about with that second bit and how it relates to this thread.

There's been a fair bit of media and fan concern over the state of the USMNT goalkeeping picture as it seems there is no heir to the current top choices (who are all well over 30). The recent crop of MLS guys seem to some to be more error prone than they were in the past to truly step into the role. It's causing some to question if the overall approach the US has for keepers is working or not.

It relates mainly because of yourself and a few others here who are pro-CPL as semi-part of the MLS system. So I'm just wondering if for you and the other's thoughts on this issue.

Personally, I think it's being overblown.

1 hour ago, Oranje said:

He can't be that bright, he posted his phone number to twitter

Could have been worse but yea found that part odd. Kid at least has spirit

Anyways there was a brief blurb about the CPL today in the Brandon Sun.

"....The soon-to-be-announced Canadian Premier League is expected to be sanctioned by the CSA as a domestic Division 1 league...."

Not really news (no mention of sources so might just be the writer was reading on here) but I think it's the first non-soccer outlet to say the level of the league. The article is mainly about L1O and its grads.

http://www.brandonsun.com/sports/breaking-news/league-1-kicks-off-ontario-soccer-season-offering-a-chance-to-rise-up-the-ranks-420755663.html?thx=y

21 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

TIL that Brandon has a newspaper, and the CPL is enough of a thing to be featured in it.

The article seems to be syndicated. Have seen it published by the Vancouver Sun, Ottawa Citizen, Calgary Herald, Times Colonist, Metro and 680 News.

Isnt this the guy that does the look at canada lose to "insert small country here" and look there are no fans watching, type of articles in the past??  I guess any kind of a soccer story that gets picked up and goes nationally is a good thing. 

4 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Isnt this the guy that does the look at canada lose to "insert small country here" and look there are no fans watching, type of articles in the past??  I guess any kind of a soccer story that gets picked up and goes nationally is a good thing. 

I haven't read this article yet, but Neil Davidson is the closest thing to a CMNT beat writer that we have. He is good, knows his stuff, and occasionally comments on this forum I believe. Not the guy you are thinking of. I remember the article you seem to be referencing, but don't remember who wrote it. It definitely wasn't someone as knowledgeable as Davidson.

8 hours ago, Bison44 said:

well if the haters are coming around, why should we complain ;)

41 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Halifax city council recently put a tender out for a better soccer/rugby field to be installed. There was a bit of a fiasco with a visiting Scottish rugby team two years ago:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/halifax-rugby-turf-deemed-unsafe-international-game-forced-to-move-1.3205836

It's not related to the pop-up, which is being considered separately.

29 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Halifax city council recently put a tender out for a better soccer/rugby field to be installed. There was a bit of a fiasco with a visiting Scottish rugby team two years ago:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/halifax-rugby-turf-deemed-unsafe-international-game-forced-to-move-1.3205836

It's not related to the pop-up, which is being considered separately.

I'm guessing they've been told off the record the stadiums going to be a go and are now building hype for both the stadium and the league (remember the stadium needs to happen for the league to happen in its current proposed form)

Interesting scenario to think about regarding the 3 Canadian Clubs:

• It's year 2032
  • MLS capped their max teams at 32 teams
  • Rich multi billionaires wants to join MLS but no spots are available except buying existing franchises
  • They are all viable

Hypothetical, Bill Gates (net worth $81B), Jeff Bezos (net worth $67B) and Mark Zuckerberg (net worth $55B) or anyone else in the ballpark are adamant to own a club.

• They offer Toronto-Montreal-Vancouver over $500M to buy and move them to the US
  • With their expansion fees being between $10M to $35M initially, they could make a huge return
  • The 3 clubs counters with : more cash + retaining their brands and identity.
  • They sell for an insane amount of money
  • They turn around and pay a much smaller expansion fee and uses their retained brands and Identities to join CPL

If you're an owner, do you do it?

How much would it take for you to sell and start over in CPL?

Archived