Canadian Premier League

ted

1 minute ago, Macksam said:

The TV bubble bursting is concerning and well known. However, mark my words, these sports leagues will sign live lucrative streaming deals with Netflix in the next decade or sooner to make up for it. The games will be available live with commercials and available up to a week after its initial air date. Whether Netflix offers these games with their original package or charge a little extra for each league is another issue.

Hopefully it happens sooner rather than later. I'd still have MLS Live if it weren't for most TFC games being blacked out

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Oranje said:

They are bluffing. 

Just like Daryl Katz of the Edmonton Oilers. He had threatened to move the team if he didn't get his way. It's a negotiation tactics... a shitty one that's getting old

I'm calling bullshit on the Flames moving out of Calgary if they don't get a taxpayer funded arena. Outside of Quebec City (which has long been rumoured as an expansion target), there isn't a market in North America that will have the size of fan base paying the dollars they do to watch NHL hockey that the Flames have. Given that the NHL refuses to move clubs in cities that are losing millions on millions of dollars every year to Quebec City, I can't see them approving a move of a profitable club to a market which may have an equivalent ability to generate revenue. This is not the same scenario as the Jets and Nordiques moving in the mid 90's.

I don't know if this has been posted, but the city is moving forward with a Plan B of a Victoria Park arena as well as renovations to McMahon stadium.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/arena-vision-plan-b-report-city-council-1.4079031

http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/city-has-a-first-look-at-plan-b-for-new-flames-arena-1.3381870

1 hour ago, shermanator said:

I'm calling bullshit on the Flames moving out of Calgary if they don't get a taxpayer funded arena. Outside of Quebec City (which has long been rumoured as an expansion target), there isn't a market in North America that will have the size of fan base paying the dollars they do to watch NHL hockey that the Flames have. Given that the NHL refuses to move clubs in cities that are losing millions on millions of dollars every year to Quebec City, I can't see them approving a move of a profitable club to a market which may have an equivalent ability to generate revenue. This is not the same scenario as the Jets and Nordiques moving in the mid 90's.

I don't know if this has been posted, but the city is moving forward with a Plan B of a Victoria Park arena as well as renovations to McMahon stadium.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/arena-vision-plan-b-report-city-council-1.4079031

http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/city-has-a-first-look-at-plan-b-for-new-flames-arena-1.3381870

Are there any blue prints how the new Arena and renovated stadium will look like?

Here is a good rebuttal to the toilet paper replacement caliber Calgary Sun article posted earlier. Doesn't really relate at all to a potential CPL club, but since the article itself didn't either, it's worth posting.

https://flamesnation.ca/2017/05/01/two-years-in-still-no-critical-thought-of-new-arena-project/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I do not agree with the city on all issues, and I definitely think the mayor could stand to tone it down a bit, but those are two issues that are not at all connected to the stadium debate, and exploring the former does not further the latter. The mayor is a bit of a loudmouth. Some of the things the city spends money on are questionable. Regardless, he should still not spend millions of public dollars on a poorly planned arena for the benefit of billionaires.

And he shouldn’t be forced into this position because the Flames are bluffing. Ken King had to admit it after embarrassing himself live on air. There is no feasible destination for the Flames to move to, and there’s no other city that will cave to their demands. There is no immediate choice between an arena and the Flames fleeing town. This entire article is based on a false dichotomy and only functions as a defence for the billionaires who want public money. Do not buy it.

The article is shoddy with facts, rife with emotion, and full of contradictions. It’s a letter to the editor dressed up as critique of city politics. It’s really just an attack on the mayor of Calgary using the stadium issue to grab attention. It’s quite unfortunate because this space could’ve really been used for something better. The author in question is the Sun’s real estate journalist. There was an opportunity for explanations and analysis of other high-end, big money projects. Perhaps he could’ve answered questions about the process. Maybe a historical perspective about the circumstances surrounding the construction of any of the other big sports projects in this city. Instead, we have this.

This would mean nothing if the implications were not consequential. Articles like this are why Kent wrote his critical thinking piece way back when. Until a deal is struck, you will see these shill jobs in public newspapers. They’ll always pretend to be on the side of the fans, but really be supporting the interests of private business. They’ll blur lines, leave out facts, frame it as a high-stakes wrestling match, and strike polemically against big targets.

Oh oh started something on twitter. Mentioned to Kurt Larson how MLS acting as a saviour for Canadian soccer is wrong while being against CPL based on Manning and he and some guy before my tweet said 

and the Totera piped up lol 

41 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

CSA AGM/CPL talk starting at 40 minutes. Haven't heard any news yet but good discussion

Well, I'm a fan of theirs, but it sounds like they also might be a fan of ours ;)

The discussion about clubs vs franchises and supporter involvement was good.  Just goes to show we aren't just screaming into the wind, IMO.

Just now, Rheo said:

More I think about it, really interesting that MLS doesn't care about it. Manning on his own with his comments? 

I mean, what does that conversation look like?

Larson: "Do you have a comment on the Canadian Premier League?"

MLS League Office: "No."

32 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Oh oh started something on twitter. Mentioned to Kurt Larson how MLS acting as a saviour for Canadian soccer is wrong while being against CPL based on Manning and he and some guy before my tweet said 

and the Totera piped up lol 

Looked over it and he has some fair points (CPL will battle a minor league stigma and the quality of South American is needed to make a league sustainable). I still feel Larson is a mostly neutral party when it comes to CPL. He's blunt and dickish in his writing and might not think it's needed or being done right and might not actually care for it but he doesn't seem outright against the league. He's a mainstream journalist who is giving it ink and isn't destroying it.

1 minute ago, matty said:

Looked over it and he has some fair points (CPL will battle a minor league stigma and the quality of South American is needed to make a league sustainable). I still feel Larson is a mostly neutral party when it comes to CPL. He's blunt and dickish in his writing and might not think it's needed or being done right and might not actually care for it but he doesn't seem outright against the league. He's a mainstream journalist who is giving it ink and isn't destroying it.

Only caveat I'd add is that his most important source has a vested interested in shaping the narrative that CPL=minor league. As one of the bigger soccer journalists in the country, I think it's important to push back a bit when his pieces pass on that narrative

I like Larson and his writing. But I like writers with an edge, ie Keith Law in baseball or Greg Wyshinsky in hockey. Just know the general perception is he's a MLSE puppet and he's not well liked around here lol.

My argument with him was MLS acting as saviour of Canadian Soccer when they definitely do things it's half assed to what they act like they do. It's gone off to way to many tweets from there lol

Just now, Complete Homer said:

Only caveat I'd add is that his most important source has a vested interested in shaping the narrative that CPL=minor league. As one of the bigger soccer journalists in the country, I think it's important to push back a bit when his pieces pass on that narrative

See I don't think Larson pushes the narrative. He's flat out said TFC 2 or 3 in this league would damn it to minor league status. He reports what he's told by TFC but, with TFC2 or 3 in CPL, he said why it was a bad move if the league wants to be more. 

2 minutes ago, matty said:

See I don't think Larson pushes the narrative. He's flat out said TFC 2 or 3 in this league would damn it to minor league status. He reports what he's told by TFC but, with TFC2 or 3 in CPL, he said why it was a bad move if the league wants to be more. 

I think he definitely pushed it in the past ("CPL will be PDL-level" comes to mind), but he's definitely swung a bit more neutral in the last year

Edit: Ha, Larson just unfollowed me. Guess he didn't like a comment I made

3 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

I think he definitely pushed it in the past ("CPL will be PDL-level" comes to mind), but he's definitely swung a bit more neutral in the last year

Edit: Ha, Larson just unfollowed me. Guess he didn't like a comment I made

He never followed me but I'm sure I'm muted after all the talk tonight lol

re: Larson - I don't mind his writing style, but like any news source you should consider what his inherent biases are likely to be when reading anything he writes.

Also, I don't know if anyone else noticed but they removed "Amway" from the Canadian Championships title.

Now just to get them to start calling it "The Voyageurs Cup" like adults.

Just now, Complete Homer said:

I think that tweet was more him being outside of the loop on what was happening than him pushing the league as the new PDL. A lot of his reporting changed after talking with Vic.

4 minutes ago, Rheo said:

My argument with him was MLS acting as saviour of Canadian Soccer when they definitely do things it's half assed to what they act like they do. It's gone off to way to many tweets from there lol

I think they'll be key to the future (the academies will continue to produce talent and I think MLS will be the #1 buyer of CPL talent) but yea not the outright saviour.

1 minute ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

Also, I don't know if anyone else noticed but they removed "Amway" from the Canadian Championships title.

Now just to get them to start calling it "The Voyageurs Cup" like adults.

Holy shit John Oliver's report last year guilted the CSA into losing them LOL

18 minutes ago, matty said:

Holy shit John Oliver's report last year guilted the CSA into losing them LOL

I would rather have "Drug Dealers, Pimps & Affiliated Scum" (Bloom County) as my sponsor  :)

1 hour ago, matty said:

I disagree...he is a total MLSE puppet dick...just my opinion though

So going to be doing some fan polling today at the TFC game. Am going to be asking some CPL focused questions and checking if I get similar results to the "fans would rather we win than we develop Canadian talent claim"

If you're there and see an idiot with a clipboard asking questions, say hi

Archived