Canadian Premier League

ted

Just now, Rheo said:

Yeah I think it's due diligence with the other teams and that's good. Just saying that I assumed they were further along at times and they weren't and there's nothing wrong with that.

Also nothing wrong with saying someone was right when you generally disagree. We all want the same thing here in the end 

If you believe "we all want the same thing" then you clearly have not been following this thread, or have a rather generous view of what "the same thing" is. 

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Gordon said:

If you believe "we all want the same thing" then you clearly have not been following this thread, or have a rather generous view of what "the same thing" is. 

I mean we all want Canadian soccer in a better place we just disagree the best way to get there 

1 hour ago, Levi Oakey said:

This is true. What is also true is that what people have been saying for the last year is correct. So believe me, more teams are coming.

These things take time and the vetting of potential CPL clubs ownership and business plans has to be thorough. One requirement must be having a stadium lease/plan assured before they can be approved by CPL and sanctioned by CSA.

The news today of the sanctioning of the CPL and the bonus news of two CPL clubs sanctioned as well by CSA should also spur possible new interest for other markets. Other clubs that are close to being approved by CPL will likely be announced at a soon to come league press con/announcement.

It would be interesting to know what Hamilton and Winnipeg being "accepted as members" means - presumably that means they have been accepted by the CSA for play in the CPL, but it's an odd phrasing.

It could also mean that there are other teams (ie. OFFC) that may join the league, but since they've already been "accepted as members" for play in other leagues, they don't need to be re-accepted and therefore weren't announced.  I doubt OFFC would want that news to slip out (if they are, in fact, joining - which isn't necessarily a guarantee) when they'd still have a season or two in USL remaining.

11 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

It would be interesting to know what Hamilton and Winnipeg being "accepted as members" means - presumably that means they have been accepted by the CSA for play in the CPL, but it's an odd phrasing.

It could also mean that there are other teams (ie. OFFC) that may join the league, but since they've already been "accepted as members" for play in other leagues, they don't need to be re-accepted and therefore weren't announced.  I doubt OFFC would want that news to slip out (if they are, in fact, joining - which isn't necessarily a guarantee) when they'd still have a season or two in USL remaining.

I assume it means they have a stadium, funding and have committed to entering a team. I am a little surprised there are only 2 confirmed so far - but not overly concerned. Looks like they are ready to go for a short 2018 season. I dont think they would do that if they werent fairly sure they have a concrete set of 6 teams minimum.

2 hours ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

Can I be the first to start the CanPL 2020 campaign?  lol 2018 is a bit early still.

Better to do it right than to do it prematurely.

Absolutely not. They are starting a 6 team soccer league in Canada. Not building a a robot who can fly to the moon on solar power. There is absolutely no reason this should not start in 2018 for an abbreviated season as proposed. 

Sure you want to do it right but eventually it comes down to a matter of just doing it. There is either enough interest in Canada to have a soccer league and support it or there is not. There is not all that much more work to be done - either owners are going to step forward and enter teams in the league or they wont. Putting it off to 2020 isnt going to change that.

12 minutes ago, DannyFromToronto23 said:

hopefully there is gunna be  trials i will be 18 next year 

I hope you do get that opportunity, and I hope you prepare yourself appropriately for it as well.

If you can, get yourself associated with the right League 1, and OSL clubs because open trials present a 3% opportunity to trialists, and 85% financial gain to the club.

57 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

https://the11.ca/canpl-era-officially-begins-new-league-ratified-by-the-canadian-soccer-association/

If I am reading this correctly. Hamilton has been accepted as a Canadian soccer club, and with associated duties as a member.

57 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

All clubs, from community clubs to professional clubs, are members of the CSA. Which means they can do things like vote in AGMs. So Hamilton and Winnipeg are now members of the CSA officially. All CPL teams will be members of the CSA.

4 minutes ago, masster said:

All clubs, from community clubs to professional clubs, are members of the CSA. Which means they can do things like vote in AGMs. So Hamilton and Winnipeg are now members of the CSA officially. All CPL teams will be members of the CSA.

Wonder what other clubs might already be members and on the CPL radar.

3 hours ago, Ansem said:

Ahhh, billionaires...If that's true, the Thomson family would be a CPL owner which net worth is bigger that the 3 MLS clubs combined. I think they are north of $30B

and your point ?

Archived