Canadian Premier League

ted

5 hours ago, rob.notenboom said:

Do you recall who and where you heard? Besides former mayor Pat Fiacco mentioning the desire to bring in an NASL team, I'm not really aware of any others. 

The former deputy city planner (left in may I think) said something along the lines of "we're looking into a second major regular tenant" for their stadium last january and people from the tourism or park board in the city said some pro pro soccer comments iirc. The Saskatchewan soccer association and hotel board of regina also want major soccer events to happen in the city.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, matty said:

The former deputy city planner (left in may I think) said something along the lines of "we're looking into a second major regular tenant" for their stadium last january and people from the tourism or park board in the city said some pro pro soccer comments iirc. The Saskatchewan soccer association and hotel board of regina also want major soccer events to happen in the city.

Ah ok. Good to know. I can get access to the city planning dept so I might have to follow that up if I have time. And I actually have a connection to the Hotels Assoc, but from what I recall their aim was to bring national team games here. Regardless, if people are talking there's more chance they'd support something as well. 

Didn't reveal much New. Said it's going to go just a matter of when. Said more interest than he imagined in the 12-14 number that Totera suggested. Willing to launch with 6-8 if needed. Biggest is non CPL that they've had preliminary discussions on joint World Cup bid with both us and Mexico. First confirmation I believe 

8 minutes ago, Pat Carrasco said:

Did Montagliani or Totera say that close to 12 investors are now on board with the CPL?

Totera asked about launch numbers and year. He put out the number 12-14 and Vic said there was more interest than he immediately anticipated in the numbers that Totera had put out there and he had expected eight 

If you guys watch the A-league it's something we could try to emulate here. It's obviously a higher level than we can expect to start out at but the team numbers and level are close to what we'd have. It's a solid product to watch and while the level of play is below MLS its the production value that really makes a big difference when compared to something like the NASL. Check out this weekly roundup show posted on their youtube channel.

This is really something the CPL should try to emulate. I think a youtube highlight show with high production value is a must. Games on TV or atleast on programs like TSN GO or Sportsnet Now with real HD camera quality and legit commentary. It makes for a premium feel and create a much more "Premier League" feel, regardless of the number of teams or the level of play. 

Now look at the most recent Australia squad called up for their WCQ's this month. The amount of players who started out in the A-league or have gone back between clubs for a season before signing with bigger clubs shows just how important the A-league is to their national team.

In the recent interview, Anthony Totera has mentioned that 12 to 14 teams have expressed interest in joining the CPL. Here are those teams and this is what my gut is now telling me: Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Hamilton - Quebec City - Halifax - Moncton - London - Kitchener-Waterloo - Vancouver - Victoria - Edmonton - Calgary - Regina - Saskatoon - Winnipeg.  I don't think all 12-14 teams are ready to start by 2018. They will probably start with 8 or probably 10 teams, but with the potentials of growing to 14 teams. 

3 hours ago, rob.notenboom said:

Curious as to where you're getting this from as I've not been able to confirm a single person in the city who has ever heard of the impending CanPL (except for fellow Voyageurs and people that I have personally told). That doesn't mean that there aren't folks that are involved, but they are either telling me that they're not involved when they actually are, or I am talking to the wrong people. 

Since it's come up again, I'll reiterate some things about Regina. I'm not sure there is any real comparison to be drawn between the Riders phenomenon and a professional soccer team. The Riders fan base has been long term 'dyed in the wool' to so many people in this province and people drive in large numbers from hours away to go to games. It is unique and fairly separate from the entire rest of the SK sporting community. I don't think there's any chance that a pro soccer team could replicate this kind of following. I think a much more sensible comparison to make would be what's happening with the Rush lacrosse team in Saskatoon. They have really caught on, are selling out games, and have people very excited. Could a soccer team emulate that kind of thing in Regina? It's not completely unreasonable. I guess what I'm saying is that invoking the Riders as indicative of anything is a mistake as far as I'm concerned. However, pointing to other facts - The Rush lacrosse team, the fact that The Pats are drawing really well when they win, the growing and youthful population that Regina has now compared to the sleepy government town it was 20 years ago, the revitalization of the downtown, the influx of new migration especially from overseas, the fact that despite the current economic downturn there are a lot of people in Regina with a decent amount of disposable cash, the fact that soccer has been growing in popularity with youth and especially with more and more teams in the adult leagues (not to mention that it is much more visible on TV etc) - these are all things that make a case for Regina despite its smaller population.

So you are saying have it in Saskatoon.. ?;)

As exciting as it is to hear about potential investors and locations for teams, I need to put on my bunny ears and say that Moncton isn't exactly a promising choice if we're still expecting the CPL to act like a Division I, NASL-level professional league.

Because youre thinking with an MLS-North American League mindset. 

Soccer can work in Moncton. Many cities smaller than Moncton have soccer clubs around the world. With the right owners and stadium, Moncton will work fine

2 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

As exciting as it is to hear about potential investors and locations for teams, I need to put on my bunny ears and say that Moncton isn't exactly a promising choice if we're still expecting the CPL to act like a Division I, NASL-level professional league.

Exactly. Not to be a Debby downer, but the article was basically a proclamation from the New Brunswick association that investors should be interested, not that there had been any investors lined up.

That's not saying it can't happen, but a provincial president saying "we should be considered" isn't exactly ground shaking. 

At most it's a sign that the provincial associations are starting to plan on how things will change for them once CPL kicks off 

I feel like Moncton might be one of the potential expansion markets Vic is talking about. Looks like they're having a harder time finding potential owners who are fully on board like the Halifax owners seem to be. In the CFL expansion talks its always mentioned that it's either Moncton or Halifax and not both as the population could not support both, and for a while when the Halifax stadium purposal was around it almost seemed like a race to get the team first. I could see both surviving in the CPL because the league doesn't need 25000+ at every game, but maybe Younes Bouida feels like Moncton needs the jump on Halifax, as he talks about "missing out" on the league if they dont act now. 

As someone who would be a Halifax fan it would be awesome to have Moncton on board as I do feel like we wouldn't have a natural rival in the league without them. The Ontario teams have eachother, Toronto v Montreal, possibly Montreal vs Quebec City, Sask and Peg, Victoria vs Vancouver vs Calgary, if Edmonton eventually joins they've got Calgary, everyone else has some sort of rivalry because of either geography or through CFL or NHL teams. It would be awesome to be able to do away game trips as supporters groups and Moncton would be way more reasonable than Montreal. 

Does anyone have any clue what the max distance a sports team usually buses for an away game? Moncton is less than 3 hours from Halifax, 7 hours from Quebec City, 9 hours from Montreal and around 14 to Toronto. These are all Google Maps times so we can probably chop an hour off of them ;). It would certainly help a small market team to be able to bus to and from games instead of Flying and staying in hotels, even if it was just a handful of games a year it would still save thousands of dollars. 

Archived