Canadian Premier League

ted

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So KW is hoping to pack the stands this year to get one more investor. Does anybody know how big the crowds were last year? Wikipedia mentions average attendances of 705, 306, and 136 in the years 2013-2015. I hope the lack of numbers for 2016 doesn't mean they continued to dip. Anyways, I hope the CPL dream will bring fans out in bigger numbers this year like we have seen happen south of the border with many cities.

2 hours ago, Kent said:

So KW is hoping to pack the stands this year to get one more investor. Does anybody know how big the crowds were last year? Wikipedia mentions average attendances of 705, 306, and 136 in the years 2013-2015. I hope the lack of numbers for 2016 doesn't mean they continued to dip. Anyways, I hope the CPL dream will bring fans out in bigger numbers this year like we have seen happen south of the border with many cities.

always good having something to work towards.  people feel like they're part of something yknow

When Totera and Rollins have been saying an announcement is imminent I haven't really belived them until now.It's all sort of lining up, The Halifax group having a public info session next week, all of these articles coming out from good sources and the info thats being leaked by potential owners and even the New Brunswick SA... Combine all this talk with the fact that this has been something Vic has been very passionate about and heavily invested in, you've got to think he wants to be the one to roll it out. I'm feeling the momentum. 

1 hour ago, BradMack said:

When Totera and Rollins have been saying an announcement is imminent I haven't really belived them until now.It's all sort of lining up,

Victor Montagliani is going to want his moment in the limelight before he leaves as CSA president, so something will almost certainly be announced soon related to a new pro league. What I think some of you should be pondering is why the list of probable teams at launch from the journalists in Hamilton and New Brunswick were so different and why the business plan would still be up for discussion.

Who is in favour of the first game involving halifax and hamilton?

Seriously we talk about rivalries that make sense for traditional reasons but having these two play the "launchers derby" would be pretty cool. It would be a rivalry born of the cpl not some outside import.

7 hours ago, Kent said:

I'll be purchasing a pair of season tickets. If there is a public push for CPL hopefully we see the same effect they've had in Sacramento and Cincinnati. 

10 hours ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

is this something new the kids are saying these days?

Nah typing on my phone for here is more difficult.  Plus I was drunk watching basketball.  A little from column A, a little from column B...

5 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

What I think some of you should be pondering is why the list of probable teams at launch from the journalists in Hamilton and New Brunswick were so different and why the business plan would still be up for discussion.

As for the buisness plan Vic has said (paraphrasing from the Totera interview) that they're dotting the I's and crossing the T's.  Now I know we have to take his word with a grain of salt and for some I know that's not easy.  But these are multiple owners each with their own ideas, issues and concerns.  It's not like they meet up for beer and pizza one night and form a sports league.  These are complicated things to put together and given each owner's demands as well as the need to make sure it's done right at launch it's going to take time, most likely up to the last minute.

4 hours ago, matty said:

Who is in favour of the first game involving halifax and hamilton?

Seriously we talk about rivalries that make sense for traditional reasons but having these two play the "launchers derby" would be pretty cool. It would be a rivalry born of the cpl not some outside import.

If Halifax and Hamilton have a "derby", it would be the "Ha-Ha derby".

If Vic does in fact announce the league before leaving as CSA president, I hope it's actually a proper launch announcement. I suddenly thought of the possibility of a Miami Beckham franchise type of non-announcement.

So, I hope everyone involved works their butts off to get ready for an announcement before he leaves, but if everything isn't ready, bite your tongue and don't make an announcement yet.

11 hours ago, Kent said:

Those PDL numbers seem... off. I think the club reported a lot at the beginning and then wasn't reporting as much. I think 2016 we had some pretty crappy numbers. Big soccer fans were saying, "go to L1O!", neutrals didn't care for some reason and the weather wasn't great. They have consistently had cold and rainy season openers and when you only have 7 games, it's rough.

This year there is a lot more momentum.

1 minute ago, Levi Oakey said:

Those PDL numbers seem... off. I think the club reported a lot at the beginning and then wasn't reporting as much. I think 2016 we had some pretty crappy numbers. Big soccer fans were saying, "go to L1O!", neutrals didn't care for some reason and the weather wasn't great. They have consistently had cold and rainy season openers and when you only have 7 games, it's rough.

So are you saying your feeling is that the average attendance has probably been somewhere between 700 and 130 for each of those years? Do you think the support been relatively consistent from year to year, or is it declining, or rising? Glad to hear there is more momentum this year.

Just now, Kent said:

So are you saying your feeling is that the average attendance has probably been somewhere between 700 and 130 for each of those years? Do you think the support been relatively consistent from year to year, or is it declining, or rising? Glad to hear there is more momentum this year.

There was a decline in 2015 and despite winning the league, it stayed about the same in 2016. I would say we probably had about 300 average, which frankly is still shit. We have 100 going to a TFC game on a bus already this year. Bunch of new interested people so I think we will get more out this year. 

24 minutes ago, Levi Oakey said:

Where do they currently play and do you have any idea of where they would play in the CPL?

39 minutes ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

Where do they currently play and do you have any idea of where they would play in the CPL?

They're also supporting the WeRally campaign to host the Summer Games, as all the tri-cities have already confirmed that they will contribute a ton of money to build a nice shiny new stadium for that. Would be a perfect venue for a CPL team in the future-so if your city is also bidding for the Summer Games, hands off! ;-)

I'm pretty optimistic that we will be able to get more bums in seats this year-I'm one of the people who is being mobilized to attend because of the news of the CPL, so I'm sure there are others (I'm from Guelph, so KW United was always foreign to me until CPL news started rolling). The biggest thing is to pack the stadium as much as possible for the home-opener. I think once people go once and experience how much fun it is, they'll come again. Pull in all those new soccer fans that TFC have created that enjoy the stadium atmosphere, but can't afford to go very often.

1 hour ago, Kent said:

If Vic does in fact announce the league before leaving as CSA president, I hope it's actually a proper launch announcement. I suddenly thought of the possibility of a Miami Beckham franchise type of non-announcement.

So, I hope everyone involved works their butts off to get ready for an announcement before he leaves, but if everything isn't ready, bite your tongue and don't make an announcement yet.

It worries me as well, but it seems to me that Vic isn't leading the creation of the league - he's moreso... facilitating it.

As such, I'm not convinced that those who actually *are* creating the league will make their announcement with Vic's ego in mind.

23 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

It worries me as well, but it seems to me that Vic isn't leading the creation of the league - he's moreso... facilitating it.

As such, I'm not convinced that those who actually *are* creating the league will make their announcement with Vic's ego in mind.

I know that Paul Beirne strongly implied when we talked to him a month or so ago that he believes Vic will want to make an announcement before he leaves, but likely not much before that date.

14 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

So the sit down with the one of the KW United owners and the Grand River guys confirmed a few things that have been floating around... Including significant CFL involvement. Hard to get much more concrete than a potential owner's mouth

https://grandriverunion.com/2017/03/24/gru-meets-with-gill-heidary-and-jeff-hughes-from-kw-united/

"Barry MacLean, President of the club-is confident that the league will start strong and will have staying power. Gill explained that all of the CFL teams involved have “agreed, the people on board are willing to lose money” for the beginning stages of the league until enough traction is gained and market share acquired. All we need to do is get there!"

Should we be concerned that the Grand River supporters group just *happens* to share initials with Russia's chief military intelligence service?

It's one thing for the Russians to get into the White House and try for l'Élysée, but infiltrating the CPL - this is a step too far. ;)

Archived