Canadian Premier League

ted

26 minutes ago, Macksam said:

What are everyones thoughts from Vancouver of making a counter culture club that plays out of Swangard? Considering the team had a great following back in the USL/NASL days unlike Toronto, I was thinking this could be an avenue to explore for that city. 

Also, does anyone remember back in 2009/2010 how Aqualani tried to half heartedly hijack Kerfoot's MLS bid in Vancouver? The key word is half heartedly so that should end the conversation right there but I was wondering if there have bee any rumblings in his camp.

City of Burnaby is not interested of having a soccer team.  If you guys read the WFC2 thread, you would've found out that all municipalities weren't going to accomodate a soccer team let alone a USL/NASL team.  Surrey was willing to host the Caps 2 at one time, but if they built their own stadium and don't think Caps owner were willing to do that. So that's maybe another potential cost for a CPL owner to conside. I don't think there's much demand for a second soccer club within the Lower Mainland unless its in Abbotsford, perhaps which is akin to being in Hamilton from Toronto.  Thats why Victoria would make better sense.

Aquilini wants a pro soccer team to own, but he may view CPL as inferior.  Also, Aquilini has turned his attention to an NBA franchise, so he maybe pursuing that dream first.  BC fans are fickle.  Being a Canadian franchise isn't enough to support them.  Even rhe Caps this year seem to be losing season ticket support, based on poor seasons the last couple of years and mismanagement of the club by Lenarduzzi, etc.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, nolbertos said:

City of Burnaby is not interested of having a soccer team.  If you guys read the WFC2 thread, you would've found out that all municipalities weren't going to accomodate a soccer team let alone a USL/NASL team.  Surrey was willing to host the Caps 2 at one time, but if they built their own stadium and don't think Caps owner were willing to do that. So that's maybe another potential cost for a CPL owner to conside. I don't think there's much demand for a second soccer club within the Lower Mainland unless its in Abbotsford, perhaps which is akin to being in Hamilton from Toronto.  Thats why Victoria would make better sense.

Aquilini wants a pro soccer team to own, but he may view CPL as inferior.  Also, Aquilini has turned his attention to an NBA franchise, so he maybe pursuing that dream first.  BC fans are fickle.  Being a Canadian franchise isn't enough to support them.  Even rhe Caps this year seem to be losing season ticket support, based on poor seasons the last couple of years and mismanagement of the club by Lenarduzzi, etc.

Burnaby has a PDL team now, with TSS FC Rovers taking residence at Swangard. If you haven't followed along, they've vowed to be have only Canadian players. They're tied into PDL for the foreseeable future (as are Victoria Highlanders), but it does provide an avenue.

An additional hiccup is the new BC Regional Tier 3, which has been announced with a launch in 2018. I'm guessing there's been some changes to the positions of having soccer teams in the cities surrounding Vancouver. It's a pro-am league, not fully pro, but it's a big push.

Given that both PDL teams intent on remaining in PDL (for now), and the formation of the new BCRT3, I think a CPL team in BC is going to be quite questionable at the moment. Given these developments, I'd peg any BC team as an expansion.

9 minutes ago, Rintaran said:

Burnaby has a PDL team now, with TSS FC Rovers taking residence at Swangard. If you haven't followed along, they've vowed to be have only Canadian players. They're tied into PDL for the foreseeable future (as are Victoria Highlanders), but it does provide an avenue.

An additional hiccup is the new BC Regional Tier 3, which has been announced with a launch in 2018. I'm guessing there's been some changes to the positions of having soccer teams in the cities surrounding Vancouver. It's a pro-am league, not fully pro, but it's a big push.

Given that both PDL teams intent on remaining in PDL (for now), and the formation of the new BCRT3, I think a CPL team in BC is going to be quite questionable at the moment. Given these developments, I'd peg any BC team as an expansion.

I was following the TSS Rovers in the beginning but Not lately.  I use to live near Swangard and know what a pain it is with dealing with the City of Burnaby.  Remember the Caps wanted to expand Swangard free of charge at one point and the City wasn't open to demoliahing the park for more parking and concession stands.  Surprised the City OK'd the Rovers, unless they promises they won't damage Central Park.  Good on the Rovers.  But your right, hard to make a 2nd soccer team viable in the Lower Mainland

5 minutes ago, Rintaran said:

I don't see the logic in that. A fully-professional, national, coast-to-coast league is a whole different ball game (see what I did there) to a D3. The place for reserve or development teams is the D3. The CanPL is the place for second tier professional players.

BC soccer fans are more sophisticated now than ever before IMO and are primed for an expansion of professional soccer and the marketing hit the CanPL will take if they are seen as an "Ontario" league will be huge. Sponsors want coast-to-coast exposure. They want what fans want, a national pro league.

My personal bias is that Victoria makes more sense for the inaugural season but a second CanPL team somewhere in the lower mainland (I'd choose Surrey) should be an expansion location within the first three years.

1 hour ago, ted said:

I don't see the logic in that. A fully-professional, national, coast-to-coast league is a whole different ball game (see what I did there) to a D3.                                                                          

Echo that.  Most of my footie friends wouldn't give PDL the time of day.  Casuals, hard-core, don't matter.

Semi-pro or better?  For sure.  Even a losing side so long as there is some sort of quality offered.

7 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

https://www.hfxfootballclub.ca/

Think it's Sacramento's USL stadium in the picture?

Good spot to take inspiration from.  

This twitter account (some kind of Atlantic news) saying the Halifax planned timeline is team announcement in May, construction starting in July, early events in September, soccer in spring 2018

https://twitter.com/RWJBoon/status/844916125368532992

3 hours ago, Macksam said:

What are everyones thoughts from Vancouver of making a counter culture club that plays out of Swangard? Considering the team had a great following back in the USL/NASL days unlike Toronto, I was thinking this could be an avenue to explore for that city. 

Also, does anyone remember back in 2009/2010 how Aqualani tried to half heartedly hijack Kerfoot's MLS bid in Vancouver? The key word is half heartedly so that should end the conversation right there but I was wondering if there have bee any rumblings in his camp.

It does seem like TSS rovers are trying to put the framework in place.  Hope they call themselves burnaby if they ever get sold to CPL ownership down the road though.

edit: or maybe TSS burnaby would be a happy medium

44 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

Good spot to take inspiration from.  

This twitter account (some kind of Atlantic news) saying the Halifax planned timeline is team announcement in May, construction starting in July, early events in September, soccer in spring 2018

https://twitter.com/RWJBoon/status/844916125368532992

Think we already knew that was their plan. It's what happens elsewhere that's the key to whether they actually proceed on that particular timeline once they have the permissions they need.

50 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Think we already knew that was their plan. It's what happens elsewhere that's the key to whether they actually proceed on that particular timeline once they have the permissions they need.

Before they had said they would need to get the ball rolling by spring to make it to a 2018 launch. This is a bit more defined timeline

I really doubt they are making this decision in a vacuum

5 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

Before they had said they would need to get the ball rolling by spring to make it to a 2018 launch. This is a bit more defined timeline

I really doubt they are making this decision in a vacuum

You mean groups don't put up stadiums for leagues that don't exist wishing on a star that maybe, just maybe it might happen and they'd be accepted in it? :)

Don't mind me lack of sleep and in a wacky mood

1 minute ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Of course they are not doing it in a vacuum. What are you even trying to say with that?

I took him to mean that the Halifax group wouldn't be making the big push (tender, approaching council, etc) to get the stadium ready for 2018 if they didn't have information that the league starting up would be a very realistic possibility

Agreed.  Some say it's happening 2018, some dubious and think 2019.  Going to be a fun and interesting ride either way.

The one theory I've read and heard a couple of places the last couple of weeks with the ramp up of news is that Vic wants to make the announcement before he's forced to step down to assume his CONCACAF duties.  Just like Constanza going out big lol

30 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

We've heard elsewhere it's a long shot for 2018. Clearly they want to be in there if the long shot happens and if it doesn't they'll still have the permissions they need to do it for 2019 if it were to happen on that timeline instead. We'll find out soon enough what's going to unfold on this in big picture terms.

Mr. Negative Nelly, we have heard many things BUT one of the ownership groups the only one who is actually making info public is looking at 2018. 

You may poo poo anything that comes out from down in Halifax but I think I can speak on behalf of our supporters group and soccer fans in general we are very excited/pumped with the progress. We can really feel the momentum on this thing - as someone who is in the thick of it all it is very exciting and very real.

I dont think its fair to say 2018 is a 'long shot'. When someone from inside the league says publicly its a long shot then fine I will believe it. Right now as far as im concerned it is 50% 2018 - 50% 2019 with 2018 still being the goal. 

I can tell you the mood in Halifax is upbeat and hopeful towards a 2018 launch with us as one of the flagship franchises. We will know more next Thursday though   ;)

6 minutes ago, matty said:

So I guess the idea of 8000 attendees average needed is dead....for now

A reporter at today's presentation to the city reported: 'S&E Atlantic are hoping for a 5,000-6,000 seat stadium with a target of 3,000 season ticket holders and single ticket prices between $10-$35'

3 minutes ago, grasshopper1917 said:

A reporter at today's presentation to the city reported: 'S&E Atlantic are hoping for a 5,000-6,000 seat stadium with a target of 3,000 season ticket holders and single ticket prices between $10-$35'

I saw the CBC report saying 5-7k.

So the sit down with the one of the KW United owners and the Grand River guys confirmed a few things that have been floating around... Including significant CFL involvement. Hard to get much more concrete than a potential owner's mouth

https://grandriverunion.com/2017/03/24/gru-meets-with-gill-heidary-and-jeff-hughes-from-kw-united/

"Barry MacLean, President of the club-is confident that the league will start strong and will have staying power. Gill explained that all of the CFL teams involved have “agreed, the people on board are willing to lose money” for the beginning stages of the league until enough traction is gained and market share acquired. All we need to do is get there!"

Archived