Canadian Premier League

ted

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, BradMack said:

This is really something the CPL should try to emulate. I think a youtube highlight show with high production value is a must. Games on TV or atleast on programs like TSN GO or Sportsnet Now with real HD camera quality and legit commentary. It makes for a premium feel and create a much more "Premier League" feel, regardless of the number of teams or the level of play. 

Considering Toronto Wolfpack are on CBC online, I'd be shocked I'd CPL didn't get at least that.

23 hours ago, BradMack said:

2 hours ago, matty said:

Every team is gonna have a name like Calgary FC or Halifax City or Real Winnipeg. We already know Hamilton United is on it's way. It's gonna be so dull and calling your team "Real" anything is dumb unless one can actually get some kind of royal title from Sealand after Sealand goes Spanish. Maybe someone will break away from it but the vast majority will go after that style.

shrug, I'd rather it go in this direction than the other overly NA naming conventions.

If you're going to be the City Something or others, just keep it simple and classy or something with history.

Whitecaps is the perfect example IMO.  It's got history and it's not over the top and cartoon-y.  it's based on nature/geography.

On the topic of Moncton, I'd be okay with Moncton Tide, or something along those lines I think.  Toronto Blizzard.  

yeah please no "Real" anything, for petes sakes.

50 minutes ago, grasshopper1917 said:

Seems like Soccer New Brunswick is really leading a push to get a professional soccer team in NB within the next 3 years. I know its a long shot BUT just maybe there is something to Moncton having a shot in the CPL?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/moncton-canada-premier-soccer-1.4034982

Wow. This dude is PRing his cause like crazy. 

1 hour ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

shrug, I'd rather it go in this direction than the other overly NA naming conventions.

If you're going to be the City Something or others, just keep it simple and classy or something with history.

Whitecaps is the perfect example IMO.  It's got history and it's not over the top and cartoon-y.  it's based on nature/geography.

On the topic of Moncton, I'd be okay with Moncton Tide, or something along those lines I think.  Toronto Blizzard.  

Are you ready for the

REAL CANADIAN SOCCER LEAGUE

sponsored by the

REAL CANADIAN SUPERSTORE

Something I didn't see discussed yet from the CBC article is Bouida's projection of a $5 million annual cost of running the team. Have to think he's gotten that info from a reasonable source given his position. 

For reference, that's about 8000 fans paying approximately premium FC Edmonton money for season tickets, assuming no other revenue streams. I can see why the 6000 fan mark keeps coming up when you consider sponsorship, etc

5 hours ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

I agree.  Leave names like The Whateverville Thunder for other sports please, along with Day-Glo kits and angry cartoon unicorn logos and goal sirens and crappy music while the game's on (or any other time really) and t-shirt guns that get more noise from the crowd than a goal.  I'm sure we all remember when MLS first started and the Wiz played the Burn...two words you never really want in the same sentence.

1 hour ago, Complete Homer said:

Something I didn't see discussed yet from the CBC article is Bouida's projection of a $5 million annual cost of running the team. Have to think he's gotten that info from a reasonable source given his position. 

For reference, that's about 8000 fans paying approximately premium FC Edmonton money for season tickets, assuming no other revenue streams. I can see why the 6000 fan mark keeps coming up when you consider sponsorship, etc

Number seems a little high to me given what we think we know. We have heard about a $1.5 million salary cap right? Do they really estimate the travel budget, staff, marketing, and stadium costs to be $3.5 million? Maybe the cap is higher than we expect it to be? Maybe each team will have an Academy system? Maybe I'm missing an extra cost or underestimating some things but $5 million seems like a maximum number to me.

4 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

They will need to scale that back considerably or it's almost certainly not going to work in smaller cities like Moncton, so it's understandable why Victor Montagliani says that they are still looking at the business plan. What tends to happen on new leagues in Canadian soccer, however, is that reality once it unfolds doesn't quite match the grandiose vision statement.

[Edit: the $5 million number is absolutely crazy. At $20 per spectator which is pushing it for something like this when concessions and group sales are factored in, you are looking at crowds of just over 16500 to hit break even on 15 home games.]

8 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

There's going to be DP's ?

Likely if they are following the MLS model

8 hours ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

I have no issue with the Whitecaps name or Chicago Fire and would love it if we saw Calgary Wild Horses FC or Winnipeg Forks FC but a uniform collection of FCs, Uniteds and Citys lacks character even if "classy" (which it isn't anymore look at every recent MLS team). Traditional North American naming can give that character and if you can combine them then we're golden.

Moncton Tide would be cool.

3 hours ago, SuperCanuck said:

I agree.  Leave names like The Whateverville Thunder for other sports please, along with Day-Glo kits and angry cartoon unicorn logos and goal sirens and crappy music while the game's on (or any other time really) and t-shirt guns that get more noise from the crowd than a goal.  I'm sure we all remember when MLS first started and the Wiz played the Burn...two words you never really want in the same sentence.

You haven't been to a game in Europe recently have you. Shit is full of North American sports tropes. Player superhero intros, pregame and mid game rock songs, dumb as fuck mascots for beer companies parading around and ads blasting on the megatron the whole freaking time.

The issue with naming you team FC Calgary is that it isn't at all special anymore and is a cheap as fuck way of naming your team to get cheap purist love. I'd rather see a hybrid of the two styles which we've seen done very well in Canada with the Whitecaps (as pointed out above).

Also Wiz-Burn is amazingly funny.

BTW on Wiz is perfect if we are naming from a city's history/culture

I'm generally against Euro names, but Hamilton's had identity issues since it was amalgamated, so I wouldn't be fully opposed to Hamilton United.

My top fear for the league is that it's going to be way more Mickey Mouse than we're all hoping. We've thrown around "NASL level" a few times, but I'm a little worried we're going to be "top half of L1O level."

6 hours ago, BradMack said:

Number seems a little high to me given what we think we know. We have heard about a $1.5 million salary cap right? Do they really estimate the travel budget, staff, marketing, and stadium costs to be $3.5 million? Maybe the cap is higher than we expect it to be? Maybe each team will have an Academy system? Maybe I'm missing an extra cost or underestimating some things but $5 million seems like a maximum number to me.

If I am remembering correctly, Duane Rollins first mentioned that 1.5 million salary cap years ago. He actually reported that he was told there would be a $3 million annual budget, and made a guess that half of it would be for player salaries, thus $1.5 million salary cap. I believe that was probably during the NASL Canada division days but it could be shortly after that time. It's possible things have changed since then. As BBTB pointed out, if the number really is that high, they'll need most of their income from stuff other than tickets.

5 hours ago, Kent said:

If I am remembering correctly, Duane Rollins first mentioned that 1.5 million salary cap years ago. He actually reported that he was told there would be a $3 million annual budget, and made a guess that half of it would be for player salaries, thus $1.5 million salary cap. I believe that was probably during the NASL Canada division days but it could be shortly after that time. It's possible things have changed since then. As BBTB pointed out, if the number really is that high, they'll need most of their income from stuff other than tickets.

According to vic the plan is for the league to not be dependent on ticket sales

8 hours ago, marauder01 said:

BOOOO

I've thought about it more, and yes Hamilton is more then steel...but Ottawa is also more then lumber (an industry that from my understanding, doesn't really exist in Ottawa anymore) and they've done great with the RedBlacks and their lumberjack branding.

Speaking of Euro sounding names or what have you, if that rumoured European ownership does happen to be Celtic, and Toronto the destination, we'll know the CPL has truly made it when said team has a moment like this against Club America or some other big Mexican team in the Champion's league.....just sub Tony Watt for Shaan Hundal or Jordan Hamilton if one of them fails to make the grade at TFC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqgABqp8Y38

Ah, gotta love grinding out a result against all odds after being massively out possessed. B)

1 hour ago, maccaliam said:

As Burlington street has just been renamed Nikola Tesla Boulevard (who I believe was a big player in implementing alternating current electricity), the CPL team should be AC Hamilton. 

That's actually pretty good, as for a while in the 30s Hamilton was known as the Electric city, and Hamilton does have a large Italian community. That said, even if you did some kind of electric branding, there would be certain groups that wouldn't take a shine to it.

Archived