Canadian Premier League

ted

8 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

As exciting as it is to hear about potential investors and locations for teams, I need to put on my bunny ears and say that Moncton isn't exactly a promising choice if we're still expecting the CPL to act like a Division I, NASL-level professional league.

It's not like Columbus or Sacramento aren't exactly sexy locations for MLS/NHL and NBA but they work fine.  If they have the money to run the team and the fans come who cares where they're at.  And as others have pointed out it's the association behind it.  Definitely doesn't look like an at launch prospect.  But who knows who will come out of the wood work investor wise if they can launch and do reasonably well the first couple of years.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Rheo said:

It's not like Columbus or Sacramento aren't exactly sexy locations for MLS/NHL and NBA but they work fine.  If they have the money to run the team and the fans come who cares where they're at.  And as others have pointed out it's the association behind it.  Definitely doesn't look like an at launch prospect.  But who knows who will come out of the wood work investor wise if they can launch and do reasonably well the first couple of years.

It's not about the location being "sexy"; it's about having a population large enough to eventually make it financially plausible.  Columbus and Sacramento have metro areas of over two million people.  Moncton has 144,000 - and I'm not going to pretend that you'll see a thousand people making the hour-and-a-half drive from both Saint John and Fredericton every week to catch a game.

I know we're not expecting this league to make money at the start, but there needs to be a path to get there eventually.  KW might have one.  Halifax might have one.  Even somewhere like Windsor or Saskatchewan might have one.  Moncton doesn't - not at the level we want this league to play at. 

1 minute ago, Gopherbashi said:

It's not about the location being "sexy"; it's about having a population large enough to eventually make it financially plausible.  Columbus and Sacramento have metro areas of over two million people.  Moncton has 144,000 - and I'm not going to pretend that you'll see a thousand people making the hour-and-a-half drive from both Saint John and Fredericton every week to catch a game.

I know we're not expecting this league to make money at the start, but there needs to be a path to get there eventually.  KW might have one.  Halifax might have one.  Even somewhere like Windsor or Saskatchewan might have one.  Moncton doesn't - not at the level we want this league to play at. 

My apologies for mistaking your position.  I guess my main position is that no market should be written off, especially one with a suitable stadium until we know more of the variables.  The Sacramento and Columbus teams (leaving out MLS) have to fill 17000+ seat stadiums 41 times while paying huge salaries.  Moncton will need a few thousand with maybe as third as many games and a small salary.  As I said the CPL variables will play a lot into this (media rights, corporate sponsors, revune sharing, etc) but not enough to dismiss any market prematurely in my opinion.

What is mildly interesting is the list of cities mentioned, because although it's not a direct quote it is a reasonable inferrence that the New Brunswick soccer official would be in the loop enough to know what's happening and would be the one providing that info to the journalist:

http://www.acadienouvelle.com/sports/2017/03/20/exclusif-soccer-equipe-professionnelle-a-moncton/?pgnc=1

Victoria, Calgary, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, London, Hamilton, Quebec and Halifax

The absence of Ottawa and Edmonton squares with what we know happened very publicly late last year and the Calgary and Winnipeg but no Regina bit even fits what Duane Rollins has peddled over the last few months, but the omission of K/W puts a very large question mark to its overall accuracy, in my opinion, and as stated previously I'll wait for a London Free Press story before believing London is really in the frame as I might start to get very emotionally invested in all of this for no good reason. Hopefully, it's FC London rather than Bob Facca (good guy from all I have ever heard) that is involved in the nuts and bolts of putting a franchise together, if there is something concrete to this, as it would be good for it to last longer than a single preseason game.

Makes sense that the business model would still need to be looked at closely because Victoria, Saskatoon, London and Halifax would send things in a very different direction from Whitecaps B, Edmonton, TFC B and Ottawa, and it hints that Calgary and Winnipeg might even be the PDL franchises rather than the CFL teams at this point. Will be interesting to see what unfolds. Saskatoon is bigger than Regina and has no CFL team to compete with, so if you are going to do Saskatchewan it's probably the better city to try?

The thing about Moncton is that yes, it is a very small city in terms of supporting a professional team. But, as I've stated before, we can be relatively certain that at the bare minimum, one or more teams in the CPL will fold, sooner or later. For that reason we can't just pick the 6 most populous cities and assume that will be a safe bet. Any city that has been mentioned, I believe, has some amount of chance to succeed, and some amount of chance to fail. Maybe a Moncton team captures the imagination of fans at the thought of being in a national league and they get a huge per capita fan base (like Saskatchewan Roughriders get on a bigger scale). Maybe people in Calgary yawn at the idea of a pro soccer team and don't show up.

If the 10 or 12 ownership groups/cities are actually serious and buy in, we really don't know which ones (if any) will stick for years to come, and which ones will fold. We might find out what kind of a niche CPL can fill. Maybe it will do better in cities like Halifax, KW, Moncton, and Regina. Maybe it will do better in cities like Calgary, Winnipeg, Hamilton, and Toronto. We have the exciting task of waiting and watching it all unfold.

" ... because the gut has more nerve endings than the brain. Now I know you're going to say 'That's not true I looked it up' but you looked it up in a book. I looked it up in my GUT."

Just gently poking fun :). Colbert is brilliant sometimes. 

P.S. Quoting from memory so I likely messed it up a bit. 

2 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

The absence of Ottawa and Edmonton squares with what we know happened very publicly late last year and the Calgary and Winnipeg but no Regina bit even fits what Duane Rollins has peddled over the last few months, but the omission of K/W puts a very large question mark to its overall accuracy, in my opinion, and as stated previously I'll wait for a London Free Press story before believing London is really in the frame as I might start to get very emotionally invested in all of this for no good reason. 

KW has always been rumored to be an expansion team. From my understanding of it, Barry doesn't want to go it alone and is seeking an investor. 

I hope London is involved in this league because it seems the discussion would get a lot more civil around here. 

1 hour ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

and it hints that Calgary and Winnipeg might even be the PDL franchises rather than the CFL teams at this point. 

From one of the "supporter leaks" it was thought that the PDL clubs would be partenered with investors like the Fury and OSEG. Winnipeg was mentioned specifically although I'm not sure how concrete any of this was. 

2 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

it hints that Calgary and Winnipeg might even be the PDL franchises rather than the CFL teams at this point.

I don't see it that way. It makes sense to buy/partner with the local PDL team and massively upgrade it to CPL Standards. It's easier than starting from scratch and makes tons of business sense.

We'll see what happens, if anything, but the moment you have Saskatoon and Victoria in the western conference, playing in CFL stadia in Calgary and Winnipeg looks like a case of complete overkill and I'd be very surprised if the Victoria and London entries wouldn't revolve around the Highlanders and FC London. If Victor Montagliani says that they are still looking at the business plan it also suggests that the one that was put together last year for CPL isn't carved in stone.

Edit: bear in mind also the Shermanator posted on here about being in a soccer meeting in Calgary where a Foothills office holder said that they had been in contact with the CSA about the new league.

33 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Makes sense that the business model would still need to be looked at closely because Victoria, Saskatoon, London and Halifax would send things in a very different direction from Whitecaps B, Edmonton, TFC B and Ottawa, and it hints that Calgary and Winnipeg might even be the PDL franchises rather than the CFL teams at this point. Will be interesting to see what unfolds. Saskatoon is bigger than Regina and has no CFL team to compete with, so if you are going to do Saskatchewan it's probably the better city to try?

If the Roughriders are in then its a no brainer, as much as I would love a team in Saskatoon. They have the Stadium, fan base to try and prey on and marketing/brand power. 

I'd love Saskatoon to have a team. It would have to be at Griffith Stadium (University) and would have to compete with other teams that play there. I'd be confident that there would be a fanbase but it comes down to what the product and game day experience offers, the latter is a big reason the Rush is so popular. When they tried the indoor national league at the Sasktel Centre people went until they realised how ridiculous it was, extra points scoring outside of an area and ref showing blue cards. There is a huge amount of players here, whether that translates to people wanting to watch is another matter. The bars are always packed in World Cup and Euro's time of year, if CPL is televised that will also always bring people out.

It all comes down to who is running it and how they promote it. That is what will make or break it in any market. The teams have to get into grassroots, schools, pro-mo everywhere and then actually deliver at game time, regardless of the on pitch product which of course has to be a decent standard too. Remembering even if its a smaller home team people will come out to see bigger stars if they are in town with other teams. 

Does anyone know what's up with Puerto Rico right now? I posted in NASL and no one replied and all I'm finding is blogs I'm unsure of.

According to one the Puerto Rico FA might be suspended by FIFA. A suspension could apparently result in Puerto Rico FC being unable to play as well thus fucking up the NASL.

Is this legit?

1 hour ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Edit: bear in mind also the Shermanator posted on here about being in a soccer meeting in Calgary where a Foothills office holder said that they had been in contact with the CSA about the new league.

And this is exactly why I didn't want to share that information. Any inside information I post will get spun to meet the narrative of one, or both sides of the never ending argument. Guess I'll just keep anything else I hear to myself.

16 hours ago, lazlo_80 said:

You get a million dollars if you pegged "Halifax-Moncton" as the number 1 rivalry at the launch of the CPL.

I don't know that anybody explicitly stated it would be the number 1 rivalry, but 2 people picked both to be in the first 8 teams according to the vote in the "Vote: CPL cities needed to succeed" thread 6 months ago.

On 21/09/2016 at 2:08 PM, toontownman said:

East

• Hamiliton
  • Quebec City
  • Moncton
  • Halifax 

On 26/09/2016 at 3:20 PM, dyslexic nam said:

Based on the 8 cities I would like, I vote for:

• Victoria
  • Calgary
  • Edmonton
  • Somewhere in the GTA (I will go with majority consensus since locals will know the area better)
  • Ottawa
  • Quebec City
  • Moncton
  • Halifax

That is two teams for the Maritimes (cuz fuck all y'all who think Ontario is Eastern Canada), one for the GTA (with continued MLS presence), no CPL teams for the other 2 MLS markets, and a few others based on markets I think could support a local team.

5 hours ago, Kent said:

I don't know that anybody explicitly stated it would be the number 1 rivalry, but 2 people picked both to be in the first 8 teams according to the vote in the "Vote: CPL cities needed to succeed" thread 6 months ago.

An east coast rivalry would do well but i don't think it would be a big money rivalry like calgary vs Edmonton or toronto vs hamilton. Despite being similar in nature, the populations are not big enough to be "big money" unless 50000 in each city tune in.

Could totally be intense however

Not sure if that was posted as clarification regarding the Moncton bid:

http://www.wakingthered.com/2017/3/21/14993982/victor-montagliani-surprised-canadian-premier-league-bids-moncton-expresses-interest-cpl

Firstly, Soccer New Brunswick executive director Younes Bouida last night publicly confirmed his interest in bringing a CPL team to Moncton. According to an article in Acadie Nouvelle, different groups have already approached Bouida regarding a potential bid and he is aiming to canvass further support from the City of Moncton as well as potential private investors.

-So, groups approached Bouida but they must not have deep enough pockets for him to still be pursuing more private investors. Hope he finds more investors to fund the bid.

16 minutes ago, matty said:

Random Q time: What are you likely gonna dislike the most about this league?

Me: DPs being mega overpayed, football lines, every team trying to be traditional with their names and shields

Considering how centrally this is going to be run; the lack of individuality and character with each team.

Either that or the incredibly frustrating lack of information we're going to get with regards to league contracts, policies, DPs, rules, etc.

15 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

Considering how centrally this is going to be run; the lack of individuality and character with each team.

Either that or the incredibly frustrating lack of information we're going to get with regards to league contracts, policies, DPs, rules, etc.

Every team is gonna have a name like Calgary FC or Halifax City or Real Winnipeg. We already know Hamilton United is on it's way. It's gonna be so dull and calling your team "Real" anything is dumb unless one can actually get some kind of royal title from Sealand after Sealand goes Spanish. Maybe someone will break away from it but the vast majority will go after that style.

3 minutes ago, Alex D said:

I like the PDL names out west. Highlanders, Foothills and WSA Winnipeg. These aren't euro ripoff names but they're also not Mud Dogs or Wildcats. 

Agree and hope someone buys the rights to a few of those names and uses them

Archived