NEW Mother of all Canucks Abroad (and domestic)

Fussball_eh

19 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

So, yes, you are right, but there is a difference: Extremadura had a nice spell in 1st division in the late 90s, and 2nd, but collapsed and disappeared and had to be refounded about 10 years ago. Had to work its way back up through lower divisions and just last year came up into 2B, in the division that includes the south of Spain (there are 4 2B divisions in Spain, Piette is in the northern one). What I saw, back in September, was a fairly technical team with nice counter attacking and ball movement, not too physical, and a nutty coach who infected his players with a lack of discipline.

Right now they are 2nd last in their group but could still avoid relegation if they get some results. They are the lowest scoring team in Group 4 of 2B. An investment group called Coinsa just bought in before Xmas so they are spending big, nine players this transfer window. The new coach is a former At Madrid and Betis player, Juan Sabas (very similar pocket size and dynamic play style as Iain).

Their website seems to consist entirely of Uncle Sam and a Spanish translation of an apocryphal Ernest Shackleton quote when he was recruiting for an Antarctic expedition.

I think I like this club.

4 hours ago, Benjamin Massey said:

Their website seems to consist entirely of Uncle Sam and a Spanish translation of an apocryphal Ernest Shackleton quote when he was recruiting for an Antarctic expedition.

I think I like this club.

I saw that and could not frigging believe it, but hey, Sam's club does not have a decent webpage either. I get all data on games from the rival teams' twitter feeds. Pretty unbelievable for this level. 

Hume has been called up for tomorrow's match vs. Recreativo de Huelva at home, 5 pm local time. That means his international transfer came through on time. The game will be live streamed from their Youtube account, see the link on this tweet (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S96vu6axcOo&feature=youtu.be)

3 hours ago, Blackdude said:

Per my other link. He has signed at AS Vitré in CFA (French 4th division)

http://www.lejournaldevitre.fr/28301/football-l-as-vitre-boucle-le-mercato-d-hiver-avec-deux-recrues/

With all due respects, my kid might be playing at this level in a few years and I won't think it'll make any sense at all to be tracking him on a CMNT forum. Sorry but having watched every tier in Spain, and assuming France would be a step down, this is okay for a project, a kid working his way up. But barely. Gagnon-Laparé has been in our national program, he really should have moved to a higher level team, third tier at least.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

With all due respects, my kid might be playing at this level in a few years and I won't think it'll make any sense at all to be tracking him on a CMNT forum. Sorry but having watched every tier in Spain, and assuming France would be a step down, this is okay for a project, a kid working his way up. But barely. Gagnon-Laparé has been in our national program, he really should have moved to a higher level team, third tier at least.

Agreed, this is a distressingly low level for JGL to have landed. He should have at least have signed in Championnat National (3rd tier) which is around NASL level.

Jeffrey, unlike Spain the French 3rd tier is a single division (18 teams) and the 4th tier is 4 divisions (64 teams), so although Spanish football is superior at the top 2 tiers it is more watered down from the 3rd tier down.

1 minute ago, jpg75 said:

Agreed, this is a distressingly low level for JGL to have landed. He should have at least have signed in Championnat National (3rd tier) which is around NASL level.

Jeffrey, unlike Spain the French 3rd tier is a single division (18 teams) and the 4th tier is 4 divisions (64 teams), so although Spanish football is superior at the top 2 tiers it is more watered down from the 3rd tier down.

Okay, did not realize that, did not used to be that way. Recall following Red Star Paris when they were 3rd tier.

I think there are two theories about this. A full national tier 3 raises the quality level, you have 18 (France) to 24 (England) so that is maybe 200-300 players with pro contracts but modest ones. It is watchable football, maybe a lot of journeymen, it is usually physical, but younger players can really learn a lot. I think England has the strongest third tier in the world, even being diluted by too many teams.

But it also causes some cost difficulties, since you have to travel a lot for your budget and level. France is an easy country to travel across, Spain is not, even with high-speed trains you are going to have teams on islands off the coast of Africa.

In Spain 2B teams struggle, as there is no glamour or prestige. You play teams from a quarter of the country, and most are not attractive beyond. I went to a 2B match Sunday with 4500 fans, but it was a stadium inauguration in a big working class suburb, Badalona, vs. the Espanyol B team. Hume's team has big crowds, but there are maybe 6-8 across four divisions with 20 teams each, maybe 8 of 80 that have strong draws, good stadiums, and capacity to handle being a division up. The rest are close to being semi-pro the way sponsorship has collapsed in Spain, they get 500 fans out and players make 30 grand a year if lucky.

He hasn't done anything to prove that he has the quality for d3 france or higher. Competition is fierce in national with teams fighting to not fall to amateur ranks and to get back to the fully pro world. Many very high caliber players sign there to contribute to a team at the end of their careers or to get more playing time and try to bounce back to higher levels. If he does well he could get a pro contract in a country like germany or in scandinavia.

Kyle Bekker to SF Deltas has been made official. Great landing spot for him!

https://medium.com/sfdeltas/team-news-player-announcement-227d8775def2#.6kjpenthv

16 hours ago, Toje said:

Miguel Romeo has signed with Real Metapontino in the Italian 4th tier.

He was previously playing 3rd tier soccer in Finland.

https://t.co/Wbh9Xt8lfm

I've been interested in Romeo's career progression since playing for Calgary Foothills. Thanks for the update.

Derek Cornelius has signed a 3.5 year contract with Serbian Super League team FK Javor Ivanjica. They are currently in 6th place in the Serbian table. He has been playing centre back recently with Neumunster. Serbian league is not a bad place at all for a 19 year old especially if he can get playing time. Very good record of developing players and a league where even the flawed players who won't rise higher have a good technique and tactical awareness. 

http://www.sportbuzzer.de/artikel/derek-cornelius-unterschreibt-profivertrag-in-serbien/

2 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

Derek Cornelius has signed a 3.5 year contract with Serbian Super League team FK Javor Ivanjica. They are currently in 6th place in the Serbian table. He has been playing centre back recently with Neumunster. Serbian league is not a bad place at all for a 19 year old especially if he can get playing time. Very good record of developing players and a league where even the flawed players who won't rise higher have a good technique and tactical awareness. 

http://www.sportbuzzer.de/artikel/derek-cornelius-unterschreibt-profivertrag-in-serbien/

Weird, I just read this a minute ago and was just coming here to post this.  Great news for him, I wonder why he hasn't got a look with our U20s.. 

13 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

This makes so much more sense than his move to a German Oberliga club did. I never understood why an RPL and Tippeligaen club wanted to sign him and then he ended up at such a lower level.