NEW Mother of all Canucks Abroad (and domestic)

Fussball_eh

Canucks Abroad seems to believe so, but when I asked they said they didn't know the link to Canada, but knew someone who did "@wiesel_flink" . He replied and posted a link to a gameday sheet with his name on it from Woodbridge Strikers, playing with sergio camargo. To them this apparently means Ike Ugbo is eligible  for Canada, to me it just means he's spent some time here. Everything else points to him being born in London England, with Nigerian roots. So I guess the question is, how much time  did he spend in Canada, and does he have a passport. 

On 02/10/2015 at 3:16 PM, Fussball_eh said:

There is no longer a minimum league requirement. Any Canadian playing soccer abroad (or domestically based), who is in theory eligible for the Canadian national team, will have a place on this list and will be tracked.

As per this statement, Kofi Opare should not be on the list and not be tracked as he is not eligible.

17 hours ago, Big_M said:

As per this statement, Kofi Opare should not be on the list and not be tracked as he is not eligible.

Kofi Opare holds Canadian citizenship. If FIFA were to grant an association change (He played with US U20s a while back), he would be able to play for #CanMNT. Therefore he is still eligible, at least in theory.

He didn't play in an official competition for usa u20 as he was not eligible. He acquired Canadian nationality and now needs to live in Canada continuously for five years to be eligible. Therefore he is not eligible.

1 hour ago, Big_M said:

He didn't play in an official competition for usa u20 as he was not eligible. He acquired Canadian nationality and now needs to live in Canada continuously for five years to be eligible. Therefore he is not eligible.

So there's a chance? Lmfao

As long as the criterias are clear there is no issue. In the first post it is said that players who are eligible will be tracked but in the latest post it said that players who might become eligible will also be tracked. In that case, foreign players on Canadian teams who haven't played in an official game for another country, who are not far from being able to get Canadian nationality and not far from reaching the five year residency should also be tracked. They have a much better chance of becoming eligible than Opare.

21 minutes ago, Big_M said:

As long as the criterias are clear there is no issue. In the first post it is said that players who are eligible will be tracked but in the latest post it said that players who might become eligible will also be tracked. In that case, foreign players on Canadian teams who haven't played in an official game for another country, who are not far from being able to get Canadian nationality and not far from reaching the five year residency should also be tracked. They have a much better chance of becoming eligible than Opare.

There was a rumour that Opare received a FIFA waiver, or that we were seeking a waiver. Looking at the case, I suspect there's a good chance it would be granted. His move to Canada was not football related. He lived in Canada for four years prior to turning 18, and a good case could be made that he lived in Canada while attending Michigan (just as Manneh still lived in the US while with the 'Caps) unless his parents relocated from Canada.

A solution could be to have a tab for players who are not eligible but might become eligible. In the current form and with the criteria of the first post, someone could look at this and think that we have a player who is starting games at cb in mls (opare) and is eligible.

14 hours ago, Big_M said:

A solution could be to have a tab for players who are not eligible but might become eligible. In the current form and with the criteria of the first post, someone could look at this and think that we have a player who is starting games at cb in mls (opare) and is eligible.

We have a section called "Notes", I went ahead and made a note that he is currently not eligible.

10 minutes ago, Vince193 said:

Does anyone know what happened to Brad Beaumont and Maleik DeFreitas-Gray? Both joined W Connection a few years ago and then disappeared. They came up with Toronto Skillz but neither are in League1 Ontario as far as I can tell.

Maleik DeFreitas is playing for Master's this year, he has two goals in four appearances so far. Don't know about Beaumont though.

On 27. 5. 2017 at 6:06 AM, Vince193 said:

Does anyone know what happened to Brad Beaumont and Maleik DeFreitas-Gray? Both joined W Connection a few years ago and then disappeared. They came up with Toronto Skillz but neither are in League1 Ontario as far as I can tell.

Here is some info about Brad Beaumont

https://www.linkedin.com/in/bradley-beaumont-320635

He was also an assistant coach at Fleming College in Peterborough.

http://www.ocaa.com/Rosters/2016-17/Fleming_MS.doc

Edited by Toje

13 minutes ago, Fastfeet2 said:

Just learned about Elijah this morning, can anyone tell me about Elijah and why he isnt currently involved in the National set up? Hits a good set piece, great range of passing, and looks extremely composed on the ball. 

There are a lot of answers to that question most of them including how terrible our scouting is.

42 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Yes most of our problems are because of terrible scouting missing scores of players that would launch us up the stratosphere in the world soccer hierarchy.  If only it was that simple lol

I mean the reason Ayo Akinola is playing for the US is because their scouts noticed him while ours didn't, which is sad because he plays for TFC.

11 minutes ago, Vince193 said:

I mean the reason Ayo Akinola is playing for the US is because their scouts noticed him while ours didn't, which is sad because he plays for TFC.

We would have needed to have a team/camp to call him to for there to be scouts.

Edited by jpg75

Elijah left Vancouver to return to Calgary because he was homesick. This is from a member of Rev. Adekugbe's congregation. I believe he is 2 years younger than Sam, so he's a '97. Would have been eligible for this U20 cycle. Was he better than the options we called up? Who would you have left off?