NEW Mother of all Canucks Abroad (and domestic)

Fussball_eh

On 1/6/2016 at 0:04 AM, Grizzly said:

Since we are following coaches now, Yallop has signed a 3 year contract to coach in USL. Pretty low to fall, I don't think he was MLS calibre but one would think he might have caught on in NASL

http://sbisoccer.com/2015/12/frank-yallop-named-arizona-united-head-coach

The gig is in Phoenix, the USL franchise wants to go MLS at some point, he leads the soccer side, it may not be such a bad spot and might not have been as big a salary drop as some might think. In any case coaching careers involve movement down, up, or sideways better to be working at a pro club then sitting in a CSA office twiddling thumbs with a title given for past glory.

Remember Floro won't be around after this cycle so maybe a MNT return .... though I think there are better candidates for that spot when it opens up again.

1 hour ago, Trillium said:

The gig is in Phoenix, the USL franchise wants to go MLS at some point, he leads the soccer side, it may not be such a bad spot and might not have been as big a salary drop as some might think. In any case coaching careers involve movement down, up, or sideways better to be working at a pro club then sitting in a CSA office twiddling thumbs with a title given for past glory.

Remember Floro won't be around after this cycle so maybe a MNT return .... though I think there are better candidates for that spot when it opens up again.

If Floro gets us to Russia we'll make him a national monument and give him honorary citizenship, so he'll definitely be around. Another thing is if he chooses to retire on Canadian glory, but on a Mediterranean beach.

4 hours ago, Trillium said:

I would have a hard time thinking of a worse candidate for MNT than Yallop. I would even take Miller over him. Yallop was the worst coach by far of a very bad lot of MNT coaches since I have been following the team. 

2 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

C'mon Grizz, Miller was beyond terrible coaching at the 2013 GC. 

Not denying that but Miller for the most part selected the best team and then coached them poorly. Yallop never selected our best team for what seem to be a myriad of personal relationship and ethically questionable issues and then coached this below par team poorly. At least with our best players on the pitch you have a chance even with a bad coach. However, I hope the CSA has learned their lesson and never, ever hire another coach again of the level of either Miller or Yallop. 

1 hour ago, Toje said:

21-year old Agim Sherifi is with  Laci in the Albanian 1st division.  Apparently, he played with Sigma FC a few years ago.

So far he has only appeared on the bench once this season in the 1st division.  He came off the bench in 2 games in the Albanian Cup.

http://int.soccerway.com/players/agim-sherifi/417179/

Oh joy! Albania is so hard to track *sniff*. Added him.

3 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Did you see the draft coverage, several teams were simply passing on their 4th round picks.  Still good for him though, hope he sticks with at least the USL team.  

La Galaxy even in the third. But hey, they can find a lot more talent in their backyard than in the third round of MLS super draft. I think this trend will only continue, as the numbers of successful draft-picks keeps declining. Really the league should think about skipping the 3rd and 4th round, players there have a better chance at another level anyways (and yes I do understand occasionally there's a player who'l make it, despite being picked late).