MNT Lineup for CONCACAF Prelim

tmcmurph

So the deadline for the 35 man was yesterday and the deadline for the 23 man is June 22. I doubt they will release the 35 man. They wi just wait for June 22.

That QPR article stated Canada would be releasing the 23 man June 22, but Concacaf states the final deadline is June 27. Perhaps Canada is selecting their roster early, or the QPR site just got the date wrong.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm really hoping Hoillet is on this 35 man roster so we can end this thing once and for all ... and if he isn't, that will hopefully end it too!  Shall I start the speculation train and wonder why the QPR article mentions Petrasso, but not JH?

I don't think the Junior Hoilett story will end here regardless. You know that...

At this point Hoilett is a Championship level player. Consensus seems to be that MLS is essentially a Championship level (minus the top 5-6 teams). Most of our squad is playing at this level. I don't think Hiolett changes the equation too much for us, especially if his commitment is borderline.

Agree with Shermanator.

If Hoilett is not interested by now, he can stay uncommitted and we should move on.  I'm done wasting our collective time with players like him who we would love to have but they haven't shown the same commitment to the program.  That's not to say we don't try initially to get these people but enough is enough.  Nothing to see here!   

I expect Petrasso to be starting ahead of Hoilett at QPR next season, QPR would love to rid themselves of Hoilett but no other club is foolish enough to pay him the money he has been stealing the last 3 seasons!

At this point Hoilett is a Championship level player. Consensus seems to be that MLS is essentially a Championship level (minus the top 5-6 teams). Most of our squad is playing at this level. I don't think Hiolett changes the equation too much for us, especially if his commitment is borderline.

Agree with Shermanator.

Look, I agree that we shouldn't waste our time talking about a guy who doesn't seem like he wants to play for us....But to compare Hoilett to some of the guys we currently have and say he "doesn't change the equation too much for us" is clearly biased opinion since he might not join. That statement is 100% false and he would help our team a lot.

Look, I agree that we shouldn't waste our time talking about a guy who doesn't seem like he wants to play for us....But to compare Hoilett to some of the guys we currently have and say he "doesn't change the equation too much for us" is clearly biased opinion since he might not join. That statement is 100% false and he would help our team a lot.

And this is also a biased opinion that is suffering from a significant "grass is always greener" state of mind.

Not all the players that could play for us are immediately better than players that do play for us.  Also, just because League X > League Y (highly debatable to begin with) League X Player is not always better than League Y Player.

If he had committed to us from the begining he is a player we would love to have been able to call up. But it appears he has no interest so let it be. If he comes crawling back we'll think about it. Till then out of sight out of mind.

I think it comes down the the ratio of 'discussion' versus the 'help he'd provide'.

What I mean is that sure he'd help, just like Akindele will help, but unlike the Akindele situation, people insist on beating this dead horse with Hoilett.

When it looked like Akindele was out of the picture, the general attitude was "oh well, his loss, he wouldn't put us on his back anyways".... and it was genuine.

With Hoilett, people DO have the expectation that he would single-handedly improve our chances. That might have been true when he was nearly a double digit scorer in the EPL for a couple of seasons. Now, he is lucky to get the occassional start, let alone put the ball in the net. Plus his Championship seasons have been decent but unspectacular.

So the reality is that yeah, we could always use a player of his pedigree (I think every team in CONCACAF would), but as things stand he wouldn't make any more of an impact than Akindele, so the level of discussion around him should reflect that - that's all that some V's are asking for ..

At this point Hoilett's career could use a boost. He has not just stagnated, he's declined. If he's not smart enough to realize that international football could help in this regard, and if he never pulls on the Red and White, so be it. He would have to work hard to earn my favour anyways.

Hoilett is a bottler. He has proven with QPR that he doesn't have the fight within to help Canada. Do the QPR supporters agree with this?

I've been saying this for some time! I have watched almost every minute he has played for the club!

The Roster had to be submitted to Concacaf yesterday. Hence why QPR officially revealed Petrasso was on the 35 man roster today. Its finalized and in the hands of Concacaf by way of the CSA. It just hasn't been made public.

Anyone with the inside scoop?

Congratulations to Petrasso, I hope he can get minutes with QPR next year and help them bounce back up. It's been said elsewhere in this and other threads, but I agree with the idea of focusing my energy on embracing those who are committed to Canada. So I personally won't mention a single player who could be in the fold but hasn't committed to Canada. Show those who either are on the fence or who are working to get in a position to play for the full national team (especially them) how special it is to play for Canada by how we treat the current players. That doesn't mean staying silent when criticism is warranted, but give respect when it is due, be passionate in our support, make the Canadian national team something any player would be proud to join.

It will be interesting to see if Hainault is on the Gold Cup roster. One of the reasons he may not be on the WCQ roster and possibly the Gold Cup roster is he is out of contract with Aalen who demoted last year so he may be trialing for a contract. The Aalen fans seem like they would like him back "gives his all and can play any defensive position" but he may not want to play in the 3rd division next year.

Archived