MNT Lineup for CONCACAF Prelim

tmcmurph

I forgot about De Jong not being included.  He's coming back from injury as well but he's definitely our best LB even though Morgan has been playing very well this year.  I wonder when he's healthy if we can do something similar to what TFC has been doing and play him at RB to accommodate Morgan at LB. 

I'm not sure you would want to.  De Jong's best attribute is his left boot but he is painfully left footed and not the greatest defensive fullback.  At right back his service would be limited and he would be (presumably) even worse off defending.  

I'd rather go with Henry, Ledgerwood or Edgar and take my chances that one of them can swing in the odd cross with their favoured right and defend adequately down that side.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure you would want to.  De Jong's best attribute is his left boot but he is painfully left footed and not the greatest defensive fullback.  At right back his service would be limited and he would be (presumably) even worse off defending.  

I'd rather go with Henry, Ledgerwood or Edgar and take my chances that one of them can swing in the odd cross with their favoured right and defend adequately down that side.

Hasn't Hainault played right back? In Houston?

Cosign folks who see Tesho starting... we didn't go through all that effort to make him sit on the bench. In fact I'm sure part of the recruiting pitch placed him as a key piece in our future. He will start.

Now how about a Tesho jersey with just his first name on the back?

De Jong is far better than Morgan. Both Morgan and Ledgerwood are massive liabilities, especially in CONCACAF.

Perhaps in round 4 and 5 they'd be massive liablities. But for rounds 2 and 3 I think they are more than capable. And Morgan is having a pretty decent year. I don't rate him as high as De Jong of course, but I dont think he is a massive liability eihter. Definately a step below De Jong though.

Morgan has improved tremendously under vanney who is also a former LB. And I used to think Morgan was junk esp defensively.

Yeah I think the same thing. There was a time where I would feel uneasy at the prospect of him starting. Now I have confidence he can match his solid displays in MLS at the international level.

He is preforming consistently well week after week, against the calibar of player we're going to face in our region.

Aside from Mexico, every over nation has either a strong MLS contingent, or equivalent. Some teams have a special player - Joel Campbell, Giovanni Dos Santos, Carlos Vela. But as good as those players can be at times, there are equally dangerous players in MLS that he has (or will, eventually) face. Keane, Dempsey, Martins, Kaka, Villa - different side of 30 but if Morgan can continue to keep these type of players in check for TFC, what is there to fear in CONCACAF?

Morgan has improved tremendously under vanney who is also a former LB. And I used to think Morgan was junk esp defensively.

Seconded.  Big improvements in his one v one defense.  It was fun watching him try to keep up with David Silva too, but let's be honest, NOONE was going to hard tackle on either side in that friendly lol...

But then one of the best improvements in Morgan's defensive game is his footwork and agility defensively have improved to where he is doing better staying in front of the defender marking, and is NOT getting behind and having to go for one big tackle.

De Jong is far better than Morgan. Both Morgan and Ledgerwood are massive liabilities, especially in CONCACAF.

That is very harsh on Morgan for many of the reasons posters above have listed, have you watched him play for TFC this season? I'm not a Vanney fan but he seems to have instilled some confidence and technical aspects into Ashtone's game, albeit mostly by necessity due to injuries to fullbacks!

That is very harsh on Morgan for many of the reasons posters above have listed, have you watched him play for TFC this season? I'm not a Vanney fan but he seems to have instilled some confidence and technical aspects into Ashtone's game, albeit mostly by necessity due to injuries to fullbacks!

Probably my favourite part of this season, Morgan has really come back from the dead this year.

Yeah I think the same thing. There was a time where I would feel uneasy at the prospect of him starting. Now I have confidence he can match his solid displays in MLS at the international level.

He is preforming consistently well week after week, against the calibar of player we're going to face in our region.

Aside from Mexico, every over nation has either a strong MLS contingent, or equivalent. Some teams have a special player - Joel Campbell, Giovanni Dos Santos, Carlos Vela. But as good as those players can be at times, there are equally dangerous players in MLS that he has (or will, eventually) face. Keane, Dempsey, Martins, Kaka, Villa - different side of 30 but if Morgan can continue to keep these type of players in check for TFC, what is there to fear in CONCACAF?

Very well put.

What a change from the last few years where we didn't have any kind of debates about quality starting players.

Oh man, Morgan has a been a "pleasant surprise" this year. So aggressive in defense lately. Couldn't be happier for him. Hopefully he keeps it up. I have to say, I have lots of optimism right now, even if it turns out to be misplaced. Stability, decent results, roster improvements!! Banner making time?

@Vince193

Both have started matches under Floro - just not recently. I would like both to be starters because well, they are good players. That being said, it really depends on how we line up. I think this looks good:

----------Larin-----Akindele---------

-----------------Osorio------------------

-----Teibert-------------Johnson---

-------------Hutchinson-------------- (i know there'll be debate over who's where)

Or this:

---------------------------------Larin--------------------------

Osorio---------Hutchinson--Johnson--------Akindele

------------------------------de Guzman----------------------

If it's a 4-1-4-1 I think Teibert's the odd man out

if it's 4-2-2 (diamond or flat), than no de Guzman

Note: this is more of a thought of how things may look moving forward, not for this round. I understand Johnson needs time.

------------

Wrong thread to say this in, If I'm being fully honest, Morrow was the man of the match last game at RB for me.  (well, 2nd to Giovinco).  He was all over.  Winning headers, marking at the back, and blazing forward on the wings.

Now to the point...I wonder if Morrow, who for me is finally starting to show in a red jersey why he was a 2012 MLS All-Star...is having an influence on Morgan's game at LB as well?  Or is Vanney just good with his fullbacks to the point where Morrow is back to form AND Morgan is starting to shine.

Either way, when Bloom comes back, Morgan is making a strong case for Morrow staying on the right, and fortunately Morrow is showing that he can definitely play there.

The big omission for me is Petrasso... I thought he recovered from injury already and I know he hasn't been cap tied yet.

Seriously, people? He's a good player, but who would you take off instead of him? He hasn't done a lot this year, so I'm not surprised  that he isn't on there. He's better with the U23's and if he's able to play at QPR next year, he'll be on the team later this year.

Why does he need to be cap tied? Are you afraid Italy will come calling?

Even if he was getting plenty of minues on loan at a league one club (as per usual), I don't think there's much of an argument to be made here.

You could sacrifice Ricketts or REB, but you'd be giving up some pace and experience. REB and Petrasso are too close in the skill department to make a change. Not enough benefit in it. Obviosouly Petrasso is more skilled than Ricketts, but again speed and especailly experience make it a no brainer. Plus Ricketts can play multiple positions.

The other possibility would be Tissot. Again, Pertasso may have more skill but he doesn't have the defensive work rate.

He'll get his chance, but now is not the time.

Petrasso has impressed on every loan spell in League One, teams have requested a return or an extension of his loan, it's a shame he was sidelined with an injury for a while late in the season as new mangager Chris Ramsey would have probably introduced him in a Premier League match! He did make the bench for QPR's final EPL match, hopefully he'll see lots of playing time in The Championship next season and prove his ablilties to Floro, I am also hoping he's on our Pan Am roster!

Archived