MNT Lineup for CONCACAF Prelim

tmcmurph

So it's not far fetched because he's been playing well in the same league as Marcus Haber? That sounds resonable on the surface but you have to remember that for him to deserve a shot, someone else has to give up a spot.

I'm interested in hearing from one of you who should lose out on their spot to bring in Petrasso, and why.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surprised how many people didn't see Petrasso as part of the conversation.

I think Petrasso is our best young player after Larin, and it's subjective but I'd have him on the team ahead of quite a few guys.  He's 19 and he's produced at a good rate at in the 3rd div in the best league pyramid in the world. 

I back all our players and overall am happy with the side but :

Piette, who I love but was in a 4th div battling for his spot

Nana is playing at a really bad level and there are tonnes of defenders in the squad. 

Ricketts... the Israeli league is about the same level for my money as the 1st division and his strike rate is nowhere near as good as Petrasso in the same position. 

JDG, I don't want to throw the guy under the bus after all he's done, but the level and the side are both not good at all.

JDG and Piette are CMs so assume that they're not in the conversation (which I don't think is the case with Tiebert, Hutch and Johnson in the side), I'd still pick him over Nana and Ricketts.

Haber is not comparable to me.  One guy is 19... still at the beginning of his development arc and the other is 26 and at his peak - and the 19 year old, who is a winger (vs a centre forward), had a better strike rate.  I'm OK with him in the side as you need 4 forwards though and I like the physical presence.

If he's not injured this should have been a no brainer.  He will likely be a championship regular at 20 next year, national u-20 player of the year - name a better u21 prospect besides Larin.  I'm assuming, like Henry, that he was still not 100%.

I think Petrasso is our best young player after Larin, and it's subjective but I'd have him on the team ahead of quite a few guys.  He's 19 and he's produced at a good rate at in the 3rd div in the best league pyramid in the world. 

Nana is playing at a really bad level and there are tonnes of defenders in the squad. 

Ricketts... the Israeli league is about the same level for my money as the 1st division and his strike rate is nowhere near as good as Petrasso in the same position. 

JDG, I don't want to throw the guy under the bus after all he's done, but the level and the side are both not good at all.

JDG and Piette are CMs so assume that they're not in the conversation (which I don't think is the case with Tiebert, Hutch and Johnson in the side), I'd still pick him over Nana and Ricketts.

Haber is not comparable to me.  One guy is 19... still at the beginning of his development arc and the other is 26 and at his peak - and the 19 year old, who is a winger (vs a centre forward), had a better strike rate.  I'm OK with him in the side as you need 4 forwards though and I like the physical presence.

If he's not injured this should have been a no brainer.  He will likely be a championship regular at 20 next year, national u-20 player of the year - name a better u21 prospect besides Larin.  I'm assuming, like Henry, that he was still not 100%.

I think you're placing too much emphasis on leagues and clubs with your comparisons. As mentioned on this board, look at some of the teams who've qualified for the WC recently and where their players are playing.

We need guys who show promise like Piette, who have experience like JDG and who are playing regularly. Everybody has a role.

On talent alone should Petrasso be in the team?  Absolutely.  But I think his game is too raw/immature for the international level.. like a young Jaime Peters (who WAS starting in the Championship at the same age) he can take on his man and shows the occasional flash but his game needs to be more complete.  He'll be on the team sooner than later due to our depth and I think he'll be a good player for us but I can't say he is more deserving than anyone in the squad ATM.  

I'd probably drop Attakora I think there is still enough cover at the back without him. More potential moving forward and even if he doesn't play he can start learning the system.

That's a convienent way to acknowledge Petrasso is not a better option than the other attackers in the team right now- because otherwise, it wouldn't be necessary to drop a defender to accomidate him, right?

Now don't get me wrong, I am really excited about Petrasso, especially leading up to the U20 CONCACAF tourney. However, like most people i've sobered up a bit and curbed my enthusiasm.

He was largely invisible when he had a chance to make a statement. He wasn't the only one (Larin), and you can prove it was an exception by doing well with your club (Larin), but unfortunately for Petrasso he got injured and that was that.

Let's not talk about woulda been's or shoulda been's. The reality is he's undeserving of a call right NOW.

For me, I really thought he'd get introduced 6-12 months ago when he was proving he could play in league one. Floro was experimenting and that would have been an ideal time, but for whatever reason he was passed over, while Larin, Hamilton, Aparicio, Manella and more all got looks.

The fact of the matter is, if he couldn't break in then, why would you think he's suddenly deserving of a spot now, coming off of injury?

I think the main thing with Petrasso is his injury set him back denying him a chance to play some matches in the EPL, if he would have got into some matches Floro would have had a much better idea of what he could do against top opposition! You could make a good argument, and some have, that he deserves to be in the squad, I think he will prove himself worthy real soon!

That's a convienent way to acknowledge Petrasso is not a better option than the other attackers in the team right now- because otherwise, it wouldn't be necessary to drop a defender to accomidate him, right?

Now don't get me wrong, I am really excited about Petrasso, especially leading up to the U20 CONCACAF tourney. However, like most people i've sobered up a bit and curbed my enthusiasm.

He was largely invisible when he had a chance to make a statement. He wasn't the only one (Larin), and you can prove it was an exception by doing well with your club (Larin), but unfortunately for Petrasso he got injured and that was that.

Let's not talk about woulda been's or shoulda been's. The reality is he's undeserving of a call right NOW.

For me, I really thought he'd get introduced 6-12 months ago when he was proving he could play in league one. Floro was experimenting and that would have been an ideal time, but for whatever reason he was passed over, while Larin, Hamilton, Aparicio, Manella and more all got looks.

The fact of the matter is, if he couldn't break in then, why would you think he's suddenly deserving of a spot now, coming off of injury?

Obviously there are some tough decision and I didn't specifically say he was better than any of the other attackers. I would have liked to have seen him yes but I'm still happy with the roster. I think we all recognize his potential and expect to see him soon so whether its now or 6 months from now isn't the end of the world. 

John Molinaro tweeted today that Sportsnet will be airing all Canadian matches at the Gold Cup.

EDIT: Molinaro tweeted that Sportsnet is indeed done with CSA rights, and that the Gold Cup games are part of the Concacaf rights package.

WCQ is part of the CSA rights which are now up for grabs. Hence no TV brodcaster picking up the home Dominica game as of yet.

Logically it also makes sense that our U23 players play with the U23 team for now so we can have a good look at a larger pool over the next couple months.  We still need a good idea of who our top 18 are and these competitive matches across all levels should prove it.

Logically it also makes sense that our U23 players play with the U23 team for now so we can have a good look at a larger pool over the next couple months.  We still need a good idea of who our top 18 are and these competitive matches across all levels should prove it.

Not to mention know who our team is going to be for Olympic qualifying in October.

John Molinaro tweeted today that Sportsnet will be airing all Canadian matches at the Gold Cup.

EDIT: Molinaro tweeted that Sportsnet is indeed done with CSA rights, and that the Gold Cup games are part of the Concacaf rights package.

WCQ is part of the CSA rights which are now up for grabs. Hence no TV brodcaster picking up the home Dominica game as of yet.

Goodness...well. My vote calls for Gavin Day and his laptop streaming on Youtube. Lord that was amazing.

i like:

-----------------------borjan----------------------

attakora--------jakovic-------edgar--------morgan

---------------------hutchinson--------------------

akindele--------------johnson---------------teibert

------------------------larin-----------------------

subs: osorio for teibert, piette for hutchinson and ricketts/haber/edwini-bonsu for larin

i like:

---------------------hutchinson--------------------

subs: osorio for teibert, piette for hutchinson and ricketts/haber/edwini-bonsu for larin

I like the idea of playing with 10 too, give the poor Dominca team a chance!!

It seems to me Floro has a clear idea that he wants to use these matches to prepare Gold Cup, so apart from obviously winning there are a few things that are going to have to work perfectly. I think if Dominica does not score and we can get goals off set pieces or from well developed plays were we are positionally sharp, he'll be happy. Goal scorers scoring goals to get greater confidence is also something that you want to see. 

I think within a year we'll be saying our best young player is Bustos, IMHO.

Also, if I had to choose a def mid I'd put in Teibert, who has  been really incredible this year. Not over Hutch, but over JDG. Anyways, a good mix for Floro to choose from. 

Larin: well I think he is a bit over his head at Orlando but at least he is getting minutes. It is always odd when a kid his age has just turned pro, has the physique and years to be a pro striker but really has zero pro experience and is on a late learning curve. Friend did it too, so hoping he at least scores another 5-6 this season, otherwise his progression will be stalled.

Larin: well I think he is a bit over his head at Orlando but at least he is getting minutes. It is always odd when a kid his age has just turned pro, has the physique and years to be a pro striker but really has zero pro experience and is on a late learning curve. Friend did it too, so hoping he at least scores another 5-6 this season, otherwise his progression will be stalled.

Friend was 22 when he went pro, Larin is 20. 

There aren't too many strikers out there at 20 that are starting and scoring goals. He still has plenty of time to gain experience

^ Who got sent off during the anthems?

Hahahaha oops! I like the fact that that most of these guys are quite familiar with each other (other than the akindele and larin)

------------hutchinson-----de guzman-------------

Friend was 22 when he went pro, Larin is 20. 

There aren't too many strikers out there at 20 that are starting and scoring goals. He still has plenty of time to gain experience

Good point, so Larin left university early then, I did not know.

My only concern is that a striker needs to score, if he doesn't he'll stall. Mind you, that is incredible they play him and he's being fed by Kaká, amazing really.

Hahahaha oops! I like the fact that that most of these guys are quite familiar with each other (other than the akindele and larin)

------------hutchinson-----de guzman-------------

Ledgerwood for Attakora and I think we may still see Haber over Larin in the short term. Think we probably see Ricketts for Akindele as well until Tesho can learn the system.  

Archived