2015 Whitecaps Season

nolando

Flores taking up a spot and being prioritized is what's wrong with Canadian soccer in general.  If he's the next Wilson Palacios, fine by all means bring the kid in but if not you're just saying to everyone that you don't believe in your own Academy/youth and you're giving up one of the most valuable development spots in the country to arguably our biggest rival.  

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree 100% with Keegan on this. It's strange, but not surprising, how the Whitecaps would prioritize a Honduran youth international who has never been coached properly (doesn't that sound like a familiar thing we hear about Canadian players) over someone who's been in their own system for a number of years.

If Flores sees the pitch again it will truly be baffling.

Adekugbe could finally start again next game with two red cards on the file.

I don't think he'll be able to make it. From what I've checked, the earliest* international flight leaving Belize is the 11:05 United to Houston and if he takes that one, he won't make it to Vancouver until 8:30 PM. The game starts at 7:00 PM. Unless the CSA charters a flight from Belize earlier to somewhere in the US, there's no way that Adekugbe makes it in time.

*Sorry, there's an earlier one going to Merida, but even there, you'll be in Mexico City two hours after the flight in Houston arrives. So, Houston has a better flight route

I agree with most here that the Houston result was a bit expected, I was not even surprised with the lack of discipline from veterans, though it is disappointing. I am sure Robinson was also kicking himself in hindsight, about some of his starting picks. 

How many Caps fans are really thinking, like me, that we have everything in our favour to win the Supporter's Shield, including a decent schedule, but somehow we are not quite looking like a full-fledged champion team. And that is frustrating, because even without being a great team we have just a few games left and it is ours to take. 

I would even accept coasting or playing subs for the Champions League matches just to emphasize the league, odd I am even saying that. 

I don't hit refresh a lot and I just saw that post and just got the info I needed to debunk your ealrier post and I was multitasking sorry, Eric .

No probs.  Actually if I'm being completely transparent, I'd almost rather Adekugbe stay in Vancouver and get a start than go to the Canada camp and sit on the bench.  If he gets some Canada playing time though?  Then it'd be worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

We have everything in our favour to win the Supporter's Shield.  It's like a game of chicken, whoever blinks first loses. I'd like to see the team go game to game and fight it out until the opponents drop. 

Dallas has two games in hand and could catch us, but we play them twice, so have a chance to neutralize them. 

Red Bulls have three games in hand and may be the surprise, with an Eastern schedule and strong road performances. 

Thing is, we have the most wins in the league, the best road record, but could hardly be called the best team, don't even have the best roster. Do not play the best style either. Which would make it all the more amazing. 

I would basically advocate using Champions to keep players in form and keep the bench on edge, no way, however, we should be thinking too hard about going through.

At this point you can see the priorities are to finish first or second in the west to ensure home playoff games. The SS would be nice but so much is out of our control on that one it is best to focus on what we can control. 4/6 games left at home. Seattle, NYFC, San Jose (away), Dallas (home & away HUGE games), Houston. All but one are western opponents.

The back to back with Dallas is huge because they have 2 games in hand.

CCL? Would be nice but really on the back burner now that we've got our first V's Cup and will be back next year anyway.

I actually wouldn't say outplayed. Out chanced for sure. Teibert and Koffie did really well with Martins and Dempsey I thought for long stretches. Only started to get caught when they were pushing forward for an equalizer. Thought Teibert was really trying to be creative going forward which was nice to see. Overall though Caps were too cute or just not on the same page in the final third.

Are people still happy with Morales' renewed contract, I wonder? I thought the absence of a real impact DP was glaring tonight.

Laba was the missing piece tonight, not Morales. Jordan Smith had a rough night at RB.

If Rivero or Techera score on one of those first half chances, it's a different game.

Especially when you watch the TFC match beforehand and watch Giovinco carry the team on his back. Personally, I think it's good the caps don't need to rely too heavily on one player.

Well, they also don't have a true difference maker offensively when the chips are down either. The 'caps fansbase and media have been making excuses for Rivero's lack of scoring (one open-play goal since May!) for a long time now but it's becoming more and more of an issue. Who knows what the hell is going on with Morales. Manneh is in a funk right now too.

Okay, it is a prestige win for them, and sucks for us. We do not have really clinical finishing, none of our guys in close are like that. So lots of chances and little to show for it. 

We also do not know how to play for a tie, whether when tied or when down a goal, when we had time to try to get one back, we went a bit beserk and took two more. 

Supporter's Shield: other results are favouring us, Dallas losing, LA. Don't know about others but I think having a league where there are 10 teams still in the race mathematically with 5 games left is not good. I mean, there should be a single team really showing the others how it is done. I'm surprised how shoddy LA is given their roster and money and solid history. 

No that is the Euro system where only two or three teams have a chance in each league (EPL maybe 5). To be that dominant here you'd have to be paying players off the books with wads of cash in brown paper bags from your own printing press. Sort of like dealing with FIFA.

But there IS a huge discrepancy in wealth, revenue, and salaries, for MLS teams. From what I recall from Forbes you have teams 2-3 times richer than others. And no, you simply have to ask the league to spend what you want to, and they let you. Whitecaps have half the revenue as Seattle or LA.

Just because of that, MLS should have dominant teams, like they do with LA, and Seattle should always be a contender, and the rest pick up the spoils. I bet it will end up like that because all leagues eventually do. 

Okay, not always wealth brings success, a classic underacheiver is Newcastle, but usually does. And MLS clearly has teams that are wealthier and have everything in their favour to get results by buying quality players. 

Archived