2015 Whitecaps Season

nolando

... that famous comment from Ted in Victoria: "Jeffrey S was an asshole".

LOL it was said with affection!  One asshole to another! ;)

Thought of you while at the Taphouse last night watching the collapse.

Mattocks was invisible,

He should have been the first substitute. Carl should have given him a chance to run at Portland. Instead the entire game plan went down the toilet and they never looked like scoring. Mattocks came on too late to make an impact.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First thing, for me, is to say thanks for the season. You can't always say it, and it has to be said. We had fun as fans. The team started great, had important moments, and basically ran out of steam or whatever in early September (after I left town!!). Seriously, it was entertaining and we did well enough.

What I think is the real weakness, from the perspective of coaching, is to get all these S Americans and over a full season kick all the technique and possession and short passing out of them to turn them into vulgar long-ball players, like it was Wolverhampton. Sorry, that was mean, but it makes no sense. If you want the type of guy you can find in Argentina and Uruguay, play to their strengths and don't make them adjust to your mindset. The rest, for me, is fine.

The question now is how to get a similar result next year, a similar point total, which would not be so unreasonable (considering 2/3s of MLS is within a couple points of 50), and make a another try at it. Compete the Voyageurs Cup. Do a bit better and show more committment to the Concacaf Champions. Make the playoffs and get past a round with a bit of luck.

You can't change everyone, it makes no sense at all. You have to transition, but we need changes or else we'll be worse than this year.

I would sell Mattocks. I think you have to ask Morales for one more try at it, however much he costs. Keep Rivero, buy Techera who is a hard worker and tactical (his wing was much better covered defensively all match last night, he is a committed guy). Earnshaw gets a thanks, maybe gets to be an assistant coach. Keep Manneh. Rosales is a hard call, he is also experienced, not sure there. Agree that Flores could go, Diego Rodríguez obviously as well. I would keep Dean as well, even though the real revelation for me has been Parker, he is a talented young guy and I predict a big career for him.

So you need, as I see it, one striker to cover for Rivero, experienced, and another younger and ambitious; and a wing to cover either side, with speed. A more creative mid to join Morales or cover for him. That is about it. 4 signings and the rest from the B team.

(Mattocks) should have been the first substitute. Carl should have given him a chance to run at Portland. Instead the entire game plan went down the toilet and they never looked like scoring. Mattocks came on too late to make an impact.

I totally agree with this, Robinson changed the game plan by putting in Rosales, which shifted us into control gear (apart from Rosales not helping Beitashour properly on the throw leading to their goal).

We needed to keep running at them, and Mattocks was the man. He would have also been inspired having gotten so little time lately.

So don't leave town next year! It's all your fault!!!

Parker was clearly the breakout player of the year. Took over the 2cd CB spot and was second RB for a while as well. Techera works hard but I want someone like Manneh on the right side. For what he brings Techera isn't worth a transfer fee and DP spot. If we can get him for less then sure but I doubt it.

I also think we will need to "explore" something other than the 2 DM formation. A 4-1-4-1 still collapses back to our coach's beloved 4-5-1 but gives us more going forward. We need more players with Nico type skills. Then Pedro has room and other players to work with and Rivero gets better service etc etc. Laba has said he prefers being the loan DM and has done good when he was played alone there. 

For those interested in the Canadians on the Whitecaps, here are the thoughts of Marc Weber looking ahead to next season:

Are the Canadians ready to step up?

Here’s something to look forward to in 2016: more Canadians playing more minutes. OK, we’ve said that before. But this is a big year coming up for Kianz Froese and Sam Adekugbe and Marco Bustos. And don’t ignore Vancouverite Ben McKendry, who was quietly have a strong USL season before knee surgery in August.

Naturally, the Caps are invested in the success of their academy graduates. But how much Robinson believes in these guys will really show in the Caps’ off-season moves. If two or three of them are ready to be regulars in the gameday roster next year, then there’s less recruiting to do.

Froese did well with limited MLS minutes this year. Bustos was a bright spark in Dallas at the end of the season. Adekugbe was up and down with injuries and couldn’t wrestle the left-back job away from Jordan Harvey after the opening weeks.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/soccer/weber+seven+questions+whitecaps/11505263/story.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• 2 weeks later...

Berrisford mentioning rumours that Will Johnson may be on his way to Vancouver more permanently: http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2015/11/18/vancouver-whitecaps-stuck-in-the-middle-with-who/

While I would love to see Will in a Caps uniform I doubt Portland would let him go to a regional rival. If they were going to move him they would probably want to do it to an eastern team.

While I would love to see Will in a Caps uniform I doubt Portland would let him go to a regional rival. If they were going to move him they would probably want to do it to an eastern team.

Would a club need Johnson that badly that they would trade Portland something? Or would that club wait for whatever draft Will is eligible to be taken? Now, saying that even if Johnson goes through draft, odds are that he'll be on a weaker club because they'll have first crack.

• 2 weeks later...

Now would be the time for Johnson to give Europe a second try.

Now that he is a mature footballer, I believe he can succeed in the Eredivisie. His last stint in the Dutch top flight, he was a bench player at a mid-table club, and enjoyed playing time on loan at a bottom table club. He was 21 or 22 back then I believe. Now, I believe he would be a starter or at least get decent minutes at any club outside of the big 3 (Feyenoord, Ajax, PSV).

I can also see him doing well in the Championship. He spent some of his youth development at Blackburn - I wonder if that club (or a club of similar level) would be interested in what Will Johnson has to offer.

At 28 years old, I really would like to see him sign a 2 or 3 year deal somewhere in Europe. Would be a good life experience and he has enough of a reputation that he'd likely find another home in MLS if he came back at say, 31 or 32 years old.

Would a club need Johnson that badly that they would trade Portland something? Or would that club wait for whatever draft Will is eligible to be taken? Now, saying that even if Johnson goes through draft, odds are that he'll be on a weaker club because they'll have first crack.

They would probably take their chance in whatever draft Will is eligible for. It would save a lot of face for Portland's coach who brought him in and made him captain. It would also negate any trade material from our side. A box to box mid like Will along side a DM like Laba would be awesome. The only downside is it would take minutes away from Russ although Gersh is ahead of him in the depth for DM at this point.

A weaker team and getting more minutes sounds most likely.

On December 1, 2015 at 6:23 PM, Soccerpro said:

He turned down a loan to FC Edmonton a season or two ago. I predict he goes back to Europe.

As he should.  It's next to impossible to move down a level in North America and come back up... once you run out of track in MLS you need to go overseas.  He can certainly catch on with a team at a decent level there, get a few chances, score some goals and next thing you know MLS (if he chooses) and the CMNT will be knocking on your door.  

Archived