2015 Whitecaps Season

nolando

Missing a couple of key options tonight , too, which shows some real resilience and squad depth. Promising, indeed.

It is interesting to see how quickly Parker has become option 3 at CB and option 2 at RB. Dean and Sampson have been with the club longer and Dean was a much higher draft pick. I am very impressed by his play. He is rightly ahead of Dean for CB.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Teibert has also been passed by both Flores and Koffie for the non-Laba CM spot. I'm not sure Parker is the #3 CB yet over Rodriguez but he has been an impressive rookie.

Oh yea Rodriguez. Forgot about him. Keeps getting injured. When he has played he has looked either very good or bad. He and Parker and Kah are in the "non Waston CB spot".

The coach mentioned mid week that Russ had an ankle issue. I hope it heals soon and doesn't affect his Gold Cup appearances.

Relax Dub. Flores getting his first start in a long time doesn't mean he has surpassed Teibert.

It might be worthwhile having something at the top of every thread that says "Anytime a Canadian player doesn't play 90 doesn't mean that he's plummeted down the depth chart."

Have to say Robinson's squad management is exemplary, I am surprised by it. A few months back watching how egotistical the strikers were, I thought there was some division, even between the S Americans, but now I don't. I think it helps to have all that S American contingent, as they seem to have bonded well and as the coaching staff knows are fiercely competitive, but it also seems clear that there is no language or cultural division on team, there aren't camps or anything like that. No piece seems left out, most players are seeing time and have the incentive to play well.

If you look objectively at all our away wins, a bit of luck has been there on many occasions, it is really quite amazing but they pull it off. No one would rightly say we are the best or close to the best team in MLS, cause I think we are not, in fact probably not even close, I'd say we are in the 2nd tier of teams. But there we are. What exactly is it we are best at to justify our results? 

If you look at our wins period you will see that most times our keeper was the difference. He's snagged us 7-10 points easily.

The rotation was important to get established early with all the call ups and different competitions happening this year. Having a spine of Ousted, Waston, Laba, Morales & Rivero means anyone playing those positions needs to step up their game and be flexible position wise.

When your coach subs out his DP defensive midfielder out in a close 1-0 game against LA in LA and he puts Teibert in you know he has confidence in him. Those are huge cleats to fill and Russell did excellent. Russ, Gersh and Deybi are all competing for the other DM spot. While having those 2 to compete with may cut into his playing time a bit it has done Russ a world of good. I still rate him and Gersh ahead of Deybi.

It might be worthwhile having something at the top of every thread that says "Anytime a Canadian player doesn't play 90 doesn't mean that he's plummeted down the depth chart."

Yeah and someone will panic that he will never play again and is off the radar while at the same time TRM will have some reason/excuse about how his exclusion is positive and justified and for his own (and Canada's) good!   :)   

What's up with Pedro Morales this season? Last year I thought he was impressive, but I remember thinking he does need to score more often. This year he scores even less. Has his role changed in the team or is he just not as dominant as he was last year? He's still a DP so he should be the difference-maker IMO. 

This should be his last season for Caps imo.

Not enough fitness, not enough athleticism, not enough durability, and virtually nothing scored in the run of play. Given what he provides, and he does still have brilliant vision and touch, he's a 300-400 per year player in my mind. At best he could be like a Rosales next year, mentoring youngsters but clearly on his way out.

If Caps want to go deep this year Morales is essential, one of the keys. All we need is for him to get healthy and get a few games and we'll see that. Anyone thinks we can compete in Concachampions without him is mistaken. Or get far in playoffs. We have no ball possession so no tactical ability to hold a lead comfortably, even against 10, as seen last game. You need a creative mid to give you that. 

I believe him being out is actually good as he is resting, though injured, sometimes the injury break actually helps a player to get a second wind.

• 2 weeks later...

Loss to Kansas City, very bad performance from the Caps (0-1). Basically total indolence on the part of the majority of players and apparent indifference from the manager, who had no solutions at all. After watching TFC vs NYC I was thinking, "now there's a couple teams with premium players and mature footballers, not like us", and then it showed terribly a few hours later. Our place in the standings is considerably above our real level, sad to say. The league being very competitive just masks our flaws.

Starting with: we have no concerted pressure on the ball when the rival has it, there is no system to press and get the ball back once lost, we just run after it with our tongues hanging out. Embarrassing. Defensive pressure is coached, it is positional, it involves team commitment, and it means being in the right spot, anticipating where the ball is going, and working together. We did not do that with any heart tonight.

Performances from Manneh, Laba, Koffie, were deserving of seeing them benched for a few matches, very poor.

Ousted can't win them all for us. We need to score. Had 2 cleared off the line last night but we've got to score. We started good but once KC scored they sat deep and stopped our speed. That is something we have seen before and need to solve. It seems like we have no "plan B". If we fall behind and the other team plays deep we are in trouble.

Is Adam Straith better than Gershon Koffie as a defensive midfielder, OR does he have more potential than Koffie? In other words, should VWFC replace Koffie with Straith?  

No. I would rate both Gersh and Russ ahead of Adam to be honest.

Think it was not that chippy, more free flowing. An enjoyable game from WC perspective. We outplayed them as far as I can see, had more chances, and played much better than last week. I think they were a bit frustrated and hey, they have this diving provocateur in Chara who instead of trying to win a game decided to dirty it up at the end.

WC fans away estupendos, impresionantes, asi se hace chicos!!

Parker and Dean really quite good in the middle, perhaps Dean the best of the two.

Only place you could sign is for a killer striker, but since no one else will pay what we do for Rivero we are not going to get rid of him for someone else. I suspect we won't buy anyone as we have proven quality in WCII and players coming back from injury soon as well as GC.

Parker & Dean were very good filling in and especially late in the game Dean was clearing everything coming into the box.

Chara did get fouled but I think he is running into the "diving wanker getting zero calls his way" syndrome that several of the Caps latin players encountered when they first came to MLS. Mezquida just bounces up now and carries on most times.

Very good game considering all the players we are missing.

Who will fill in for Harvey next week? Sam isn't even back to playing with the WC2 yet. Dean at LB? 3-4-3 with 3 CBs? Go for it!

Archived