2015 Whitecaps Season

nolando

^ I don't think RT is ever going to be a real striker of the ball in the attacking sense. And I'm fine with that.

Why not though?  He is a skilled player with good technique in other areas of his game, he could develop it.  I'd like to see him drive through the ball, save the finesse for the passes.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have very few who can legitimately be considered threats from distance. If that is what he has for a weakness then don't shoot from distance as much. Few players can claim to be long, accurate shooters on any team. 

Very tired bunch after 3 games in 7 days. Glad some got rested but the whole team needed a rest. It showed. 

We have very few who can legitimately be considered threats from distance. If that is what he has for a weakness then don't shoot from distance as much. Few players can claim to be long, accurate shooters on any team. 

Very tired bunch after 3 games in 7 days. Glad some got rested but the whole team needed a rest. It showed. 

Look at any good team in the world, I guarantee you all their central midfielders can shoot from distance.  Name me one star central midfielder in the world game that can't crack a shot from distance if given the space.  Guys like Froese and Piette are good from range and demand respect outside the 18. 

It's pretty hard to think of one at the World level, but if we're talking top central midfielders in CONCACAF, Atiba Hutchinson comes to mind. For as good as he is in other areas, he is hardly a threat from distance is he? If given space he will look to hurt you in other ways, but shooting from 25 or 30 yards out isn't one of them.

Why not though? He is a skilled player with good technique in other areas of his game, he could develop it. I'd like to see him drive through the ball, save the finesse for the passes.

I'm not quite sure why not - but you just get the sense that he'll never have that in his locker.

Free kicks? Sure. Corners? Absolutely. Putting his foot through the ball? Just can't see it.

He reminds me of Beckham in a way, always more likely to curl the ball into the corner, rather than "deRo-ing" the ball and really hitting it powerfully with his laces...

It's pretty hard to think of one at the World level, but if we're talking top central midfielders in CONCACAF, Atiba Hutchinson comes to mind. For as good as he is in other areas, he is hardly a threat from distance is he? If given space he will look to hurt you in other ways, but shooting from 25 or 30 yards out isn't one of them.

He wouldn't look to shoot first (and many midfielders wouldn't) but if challenged/forced to shoot I've seen Atiba strike well from distance. 

I think it's so rare to see him do that unfortunately, and I always feel he doesn't do it more because he's not particular good at it. Watching him play, I am ususally susprised (pleasently) to see him take those efforts on well.

This is one thing I like about Atiba, he plays to his strengths

Deguzman on the other hand shoots from distance much more often despite being equally inept.

I think it's so rare to see him do that unfortunately, and I always feel he doesn't do it more because he's not particular good at it. Watching him play, I am usually a little susprised (pleasently) to see him take those chances on well.

This is one thing I like about Atiba, he plays to his strengths

Deguzman on the other hand shoots from distance much more often despite being equally inept.

I hit the quote button and not the edit button...oops.

Teibert doesn't start against San Jose and the teams performance drops. They are unable to keep possession of the ball. He returns to the lineup against Salt Lake, captains the side and plays another fantastic game. Russell is quickly moving from a very good player to an integral player for the Whitecaps. Great to see.

^ Teibert was also dropped for the playoff game against Dallas las year and they lost.  I don't imagine this will be lost on Robbo bc he seems like a guy that works hard not to make the same mistake twice.  There's a reason why Rusty got the armband with Pedro out -- he rates him highly.  I'm guessing that, when deciding when to rest Teibert, Robinson figured SJ was a better choice than RSL.  Worked out at the RSL end, not in SJ.  I like Koffie too, and they bring different things to the table, but Russ seems to have more leadership potential and more ability to rise to the occasion and lift people around him. 

3 games in 7 days the whole team was gassed for the SJ match. We played very poorly. There were so many tired bodies out there that I don't think Russell would have made a huge difference. 

I'm glad to see both Russ and Gersh on the field together. They need to work on their interplay as Laba will miss a few games and we'll need both to be on the same page. The 4-3-1-2 really was a tough midfield to break down. 2 ball winning destroyers and 1 energizer bunny  :)

It will be interesting to see the starters when Rosales returns and Techera is available what happens. I still think Russ & Sam will get a lot of minutes this year. We have a lot of games in 3 competitions. Sam has pleasantly surprised me with the speed he is making the transition at. I thought he and Harvey would be about 50/50 this year but so far Sam is getting the lions share. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Funny to see how we were all shell-shocked by that Seattle loss. No comments at all. Thing is, apart from being scored on, we did okay. 

Maybe Robinson needs to learn about playing two strikers and not always relying on wing play. As an option anyways. 

The road trip is going to be interesting, if we can keep that hard-ass attitude and get some famous late winners, may turn out alright. 

They had 4 chances and scored on 2. That sucks. All their chances were of the high quality variety. Our chances were low quality. It sucks to drop points to a Cascadia rival and especially at home and especially Seattle. At least Portland I can stand, Seattle just annoys me no end. Trust Chad Barrett to play the best game I've seen him play ever against us as a sub for Martins. Oh well. Such is life and soccer.

I would like to see a 2 striker formation. Other teams know how good Octavio is now and they are marking him very closely. With 2 up top they wouldn't be able to. So far tonight against Colorado he has come close and damn is he a handful for defenders but you got to figure that will wear on him over a season.

Lightning delay in Colorado. Two thirds of the way to our first 9 point weekend of the season. Way to go TFC & Impact. And that totally sucks. Losing 1-0 and having the goal that would have tied it called back on what I can only say is a bogus call if there ever was one. So much for the 9 point weekend.

Just want to say, back to Sounders game, that I was switching bet 2 streams, TSN a US channel with Kasey Keller.

And Keller was incredibly stupid in his comments, he hasn't a clue what he's talking about. There were a few moments he was suggesting midfielders should tightly man mark other mids in the centre of the field. Uh, no, wrong, you play positionally, shift to pressure or hang back depending on your tactics, and cut of the passing lanes. I only put up with it when the other stream failed. But how can someone be such a tactical neophyte, even a keeper should know better.

Objectively, think that was De Vos, but he is pretty good for someone with no specific training in sports commentary.

Colorado. Okay, we were hard done by with reffing decisions. But we still are having problems building play and creating chances, and I agree that having someone playing with Rivera would help, so the centre backs did not have it so easy just marking him.

Great win at home against RSL. Dominated most of the game and it would have been a crime to get anything less than 3 points. Gersh was back to his excellent self. Clearly MOTM and just dominated offensively and defensively. Whoscored.com has him at a 9.4 which is almost unheard of.

http://www.whoscored.com/Matches/915158/Live

To give you an idea of how high that is Giovinco was rated at a 9.3 and he walked on water yesterday!

http://www.whoscored.com/Matches/915160/Live

Crap way to start the road trip. Our passing was off and Montreal made the most of their chances. Funniest comment I heard was "trust us to get the only accurate linesmen in MLS". Manneh was offside by a hair and McInerney was onside. Good calls by the side judges.

What is it about Montreal that they seem to get the better of us regardless of where we and they are in the standings? They are not a better team except on the nights they play us. Here's hoping we break that spell this summer in the V's Cup final matches.

The only good news from tonight is that all 3 Canadian clubs are above the line on a points per game basis. Here's hoping we finish the season that way.

• 2 weeks later...

In what has to be the weirdest script yet the Caps win 2-1 against the New Jersey Energy Drink bunch. Ousted had not saved a PK yet in his MLS career and tonight he stops 2. There were 22 fouls called against the Caps including 2 PKs and 12 against NYRB with a straight red for NY at the 10 minute point. Both Waston and Koffie will miss the next game as they have now accumulated too many yellows.

It looked like it was very hot and humid and we ran out of gas after the hour mark despite having an extra man. Held on for the win.

The first PK may have been in the box, tough to tell so I'll give the ref benefit of the doubt.  But that second PK was soft.. both players are tussling and he gives advantage to the attacker (who actually fouled Beta first)?  That rarely if ever happens.  

That rarely if ever happens.  

MLS refs rarely award penaltykicks to home teams...

Both were very soft and good on Ousted for keeping both of them out. Whitecaps still going strong, even though Rivero's form as somewhat dipped. If he gets scoring again, they could have a shot at the Supporters Shield. 

So I am going to come right out and say I want us to win the Supporter's Shield, I am living the season like, hey let's stay on top and hope nearby rivals lose. Every weekend you fight to stay or get on top of the league. With Whitecaps it makes the whole league more entertaining.

Well do look now but on a points per game basis we are now first in the league! 2-1 over New England puts us top of the table. Wow. Not in my wildest dreams did I see this happening this soon. Season's not over yet and a long way to go with a lot of competitions in August but this is one hell of a start. Onward!

Archived