2015 Whitecaps Season

nolando

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sam didn't have much defending work to do today, but took care of things when they arose. Gets forward well, still lacks for ideas a bit when he does. Teibert, with help from Laba, was immense in a defensive role, marking Robbie Keane right out of the game.  Also started the play that led to the Caps first goal with a key interception and pass.

Vancouver's only loss was to TFC, which in turn was Toronto's only win to date. Weird stuff.

Teibert was easily motm for me. I think we can all safely say holding mid is his best position.

He was just great all around. He always made himself available to give an easy pass option to his teammates, he was an absolute bull dog and closed every Galaxy player down, his off the ball positioning was sublime and intercepted many opposing team passes and crosses, and he knew when to press high in the opposing half to pressure Galaxy players into giving the ball away. The assist with the first goal from his high pressing game was just the cherry on the top.

No the cherry on the top was watching Keane lose it at Russ because of the constant annoying checking. Now that was a truly great moment   :)

The intercept that setup the goal comes in a close second. It was just perfect timing and effective aggression and great follow up. 

Definitely agree with the comments on Teibert as well -- amazing game.  Keane losing it on Teibert was reminiscent of Dempsey doing the same in Seattle last year.  Even better is how Teibert does it with a smile and a handshake, which pisses off the stars even more.  :)  

Would be nice to see a day when he plays this role this well for the Canmnt.  (Not to mention a day when the Canmnt wins as definitively over a strong opponent.)  Obviously, we don't currently have the same mold of team on Canmnt as the Caps have thanks to Robbo, but there are similar types from the younger pools, and having RT, Sam, Froese, Bustos et al working day in and day out with the South American crew will hopefully rub off.  I wonder if it's already happening somewhat.  Teibert did drive forward a couple of times with the ball, which I was glad to see, but it stood out for me as unusual for him.

Despite whatever reconciliation they've had, it doesn't seem that Floro rates Teibert. Certainly not in the role of a defensive midfielder. He seems miles ahead of Piette for example.

I think he's changing his role to one that fit's Floro's style more.  I didn't watch the LA game but from the PR game with Canada it was clear he was really trying to make things happen.  I'm sure the boss will have been pleased to see this performance though from the descriptions I've read that's the exact type of game he wants from his midfielders. 

Despite whatever reconciliation they've had, it doesn't seem that Floro rates Teibert. Certainly not in the role of a defensive midfielder. He seems miles ahead of Piette for example.

Not quite an apples to apples comparison. Floro continues to play a 4-1-4-1. Look at the players he has used as the 1 in front of the back line: Edgar, Straith, Piette. Those are ultra defensive, tackle hard, win the ball type of players. That is not Teibert. Russell has been a deep lying, possession oriented, ball distributor.

Not quite an apples to apples comparison. Floro continues to play a 4-1-4-1. Look at the players he has used as the 1 in front of the back line: Edgar, Straith, Piette. Those are ultra defensive, tackle hard, win the ball type of players. That is not Teibert. Russell has been a deep lying, possession oriented, ball distributor.

This is true, although Russell could play one of the CM positions in Floro's set-up and accomplish many of the same things. I didn't watch the PR game, so maybe this is already happening. I thought he had only played wide in Floro's system.

This is true, although Russell could play one of the CM positions in Floro's set-up and accomplish many of the same things. I didn't watch the PR game, so maybe this is already happening. I thought he had only played wide in Floro's system.

I think Floro has started using him in the middle recently. Last game he was subbed on for Bekker.

I don't put much stock into Teibert's performance against the Galaxy.  He always plays his best against them.  Keane has lost it on him a few times now.  I want to see him do that to some of the lesser teams on a far more consistent basis.

So one of our young players, potentially part of the core going forward plays a fantastic game against the most dangerous forward on the defending champs and its just brushed off hey? Tough crowd...

Teibert and Adekugbe were both very very good tonight against Columbus.

Teibert is getting stronger and more consistent defensively, he is spraying the ball around instead of just dishing it to Morales, and he has a non-stop motor. That's a pretty good package. 

Adekugbe was dangerous on the left throughout the game, has great pace and whipped in 5 or 6 dangerous crosses. He's the real deal.

I agree with Steve and in addition I thought Ethan Finley looked very lively as well for Columbus, FWIW. Never seen him play a full match before tonight but I can see how he contributed so much last season as he was fast, as hard working at Teibert, and threatened on offense regularly in addition to tracking right back.

So one of our young players, potentially part of the core going forward plays a fantastic game against the most dangerous forward on the defending champs and its just brushed off hey? Tough crowd...

DeVos was even talking about it last night.  I'm not saying it wasn't impressive but going forward he has to do it more consistently.  If you were to go back and watch his other games against LA you'd see his 2 goal game and other games where Keane has a go at him at least once a game because he's gotten under Keane's skin so much.  There is no reason why he shouldn't be able to put up the same performance against the rest of the MLS consistently.  Yes, he is young and inconsistency has to be expected but the Caps are deep and, unless he follows up the LA performance with a string of ones like it, there is no guarantee he's in the starting lineup.

I notice Teibert struggles on long shots.  If he could work on those and add that to his game he could become a deadly weapon for Canada (and Vancouver obviously).  Still, glad he had a go the other night vs. Columbus (he probably should have passed though) but the technique was totally off and I've noticed even in his debut for Canada vs. T & T he hit a few the same way.

Archived