Vancouver Whitecaps 2014 Roster Thread

tmcmurph

He'll finish the USSDA season, play some friendlies, and push Tornaghi for number 2. Might start the season in Charleston next year.

I would also expect him to play PDL with the U23 team this summer. So he has the USSDA now, PDL in the summer, training with the first team and the occasional bench spot in the 18 due to injury or suspension. Not bad for a kid his age.

I think next year will be the big year for him. I hope he grows another inch or two as well.

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He is going on trial in Spain at Deportivo la Coruna.

If you are just having us on then I'm going to be very angry. Very angry indeed :)

If true that would be great. Playing in the lower leagues of North America is not the way to get noticed. Even if he doesn't catch on there he will get to experience the difference in continents. Best of luck to him.

On another note Watson is traded to Chicago so Caps are at 29 players (2 draft picks still in limbo)

http://www.chicago-fire.com/news/2014/03/chicago-fire-soccer-club-acquires-matt-watson-vancouver-whitecaps-fc

I actually think Seattle struggles this year. No reason, just a hunch.

I was actually saying the same the other day. Rosales is gone. Eddie Johnson is gone. I don't rate Kenny Cooper. They'll probably still make the playoffs, but I don't think they will do so comfortably.

I was actually saying the same the other day. Rosales is gone. Eddie Johnson is gone. I don't rate Kenny Cooper. They'll probably still make the playoffs, but I don't think they will do so comfortably.

Kenny Cooper scored 18 goals in a season twice. just saying

I wouldn't sleep on Seattle (inadvertent pun, *groan*), with a starting lineup looking something like this:

----------Martins-------------Cooper--------------

---------------------Dempsey-----------------------

Pappa--------------------------------------------Evans

---------------------------Alonso-----------------------

Gonzales-------Marshall-------Anibaba-------Yedlin

--------------------------Frei----------------------------

That's a very solid front 6. I would put good money on Dempsey showing up this year and Martins also playing well.

Does Chad Marshall have anything left and can Frei stop whiffing at crosses would be my major questions.

Good for Sampson, he played good in the preseason game. He has his faults, but is an upgrade on Klazura. Hopefully, he can be taught better positioning because he already has tackling down to a science.

Will he be good enough for extended runs in the starting lineup though come the WC? I would not be surprised if we see Coker take a game or two at RB during that absence of Beitashour.

Hate to say this but the Caps' season is hinging on three, maybe four new guys. If only one of them pans out and the rest fizzle away, it's going to be a long ****in year fellas.

Most MLS teams if not all hinge on 3-4 players, maybe 5-6 on the top end. Last year we hinged on ONE player.

I really am baffled by the negativity towards this club compared to previous years. It might have been put together in late fashion, but it has arguably a better cast of players than ever before.

I am surprised with all this speculating no one is coming out clearly and stating the obvious: the coach has no experience and it is going to be a crapshoot with him in there.

Our main problem these last years, as I see it, has been inability to manage an entire season. We have been coached in 2-3 month patches. we have never had an end to end season consistently, even if it were with mixed results. We have also had, almost always, inexplicable changes in starting lineups and confusion based on not knowing when to change and when to go with a core and ride its results. We have had political decisions (last year in goal for example) taking precendent over technical ones. If Carl can manage the entire season, if can come out this weekend thinking about how to get to October in condition for the playoffs, then fine. I am not sure he'll be able to. The signings suggest, in fact that we still need a preseason to sort it all out, we need 5-6 games "practice" games as I see it.

The other main problem in recent years is not winning the V-Cup. Win that, we celebrate a trophy and put up with the rest. We enjoy ConcaChampions, we get to see America or maybe Saprissa. We really missed not winning the cup as it would have meant a lot to the franchise and I think to our league mentality as well.

Sampson tackles a lot because he is caught out of position a lot. Hopefully he will develop less need for that "skill" in the near future. He has a lot of upside and it makes sense to bring him into the 30.

It could be a great year, it could be a rough one. Depends how quickly and smoothly all the new parts get on the same page.

I am feeling a whole lot more optimistic than I was before we got Beitashour (= Lee), Laba (> JMD), and Morales (> Kobayashi. To be fair Kobayashi was injured and playing out wide a lot but I still think Morales will be better. We'll see).

Miller is our only experienced forward. We'll see who claims the spot once he's gone or injured. A much improved midfield will help the forwards, young and old, a lot.

Our starting central defence are solid if somewhat old. After that we have some young and coverage players who will fight it out for backup & starting positions. Our keepers are decent. All in all not the total ShatShow it was in mid January.

I am surprised with all this speculating no one is coming out clearly and stating the obvious: the coach has no experience and it is going to be a crapshoot with him in there.

You are correct on that point. I think it comes down to a strange and somewhat obsessive hatred for Rennie. It is kind of comical that nothing good was his doing and everything wrong was his fault. For a coach who took us from dead last to respectable and improved us measurably each of his 2 seasons I find that venom as somewhat weird. He wasn't perfect but no coach is. So far the honeymoon with Robbo is still in full force.

As I stated last fall he is the least experienced of all the coaches we've had in MLS. I'm hoping things go well and if they don't I'm hoping that Robbo is given at least the full season (or two). I think he has potential but as a young and inexperienced coach he will get out manoeuvred sometimes. If things go poorly we'll see how long before the fickle coach haters turn on him.

I never said anything about style - don't put words in my mouth to justify your opinions.

But it IS very relevant how the goals happen. Explain 11th overall in shots (ability to create offence) vs 4th in scoring? Why does it matter that we understand this information?

You don't understand this information, that's the problem. You're right, it does tell us something but without context it's useless. Obviously the more shots you take, in theory, means you create more offence. But look at the offence from other teams ahead of Vancouver. New York scored the most goals, but 15th in shots (first in east), Salt lake was 2nd and 8th most shots (2nd in west), Portland was third and 9th in shots (first in the west). The difference between Portland, and Vancouver was 6 shots and between Salt Lake 11 shots. If shots were so important to determine how good/bad this team was, am I to believe that the difference between a good and bad team is 6 /11 shots over an entire season? Non-sense.

Not to mention, only 4 of the top 10 teams in shots were playoff teams, whereas 7 of the top 10 goal scoring teams were playoff teams. So again, how important are shots? Important but without context it's a waste of time to even mention it, goals scored actually mean more, much more.

So because its a parity league you shouldn't plan for the future or try to improve? Its all just a game of luck? I guess KC, RSL, LA, SEA have it wrong. I cant actually believe you wrote "Considering those goals happened does it matter it was unsustainable into next season?" Im still trying to decide if this is a wind up, but if not the answer is a 100% YES.

Who said that? Besides we were specifically talking about last season. Does it matter if you believe it was unsustainable? No not in the least. That's an issue to try and fix for the next coming (this) season and has no bearing on the results of last season.

I don't understand this information - ha, coming from the guy who's favorite line is "who cares". I understand this and a lot of other info very well and it did come with context. Hate to repeat myself (again) but as I said - but lack of scoring from midfield and set pieces not to mention that the person responsible for 42% of the goals, scored 5 more goals last year than he did in the two previous years combined. Add that context to total shots vs goals, other stats such as Camilo's career shooting % etc, tells me that the offence was unsustainable.

Who said that? Besides we were specifically talking about last season. Does it matter if you believe it was unsustainable? No not in the least. That's an issue to try and fix for the next coming (this) season and has no bearing on the results of last season.

Wrong. You responded to my post and I was talking about why I believe the loss of Camilo is not as big as everyone makes out because we have a better team this year - 2014 and the reason was unsustainable scoring led to a false sense of quality. The Caps weren't as good last year as some think.

With all do respect I don't think you and I speak the same language. Anybody who says "Considering those goals happened does it matter it was unsustainable into next season?" doesn't get it.

VWFC and Finchy, I think you two should fight to the death next match you're both at. Clearly the only way to resolve your guys' argument.

May 3rd, be there! I am coming home from Russia then.

I don't disagree with his main point regarding the offence, but it's irrelevant regarding the Whitecaps problems last season. The job on offence got done, doesn't matter who, what, where, when and why.

I don't disagree with his main point regarding the offence, but it's irrelevant regarding the Whitecaps problems last season. The job on offence got done, doesn't matter who, what, where, when and why.

You can lead a horse to water...

Arguing about goals, coaching and new signings, and all three were there today.

We finished, and since scoring is so important for Miller hopefully he'll be pumped.

Fernández was very good, and Morales had superior skills, was very spectacular for 20 m on the pitch.

And Robinson did very smart coaching shifts, like moving Miller up high when Morales came in. I hope he proves me wrong this year.

Vancouver looks like a very strong team with those new additions to the squad. With a healthy Laba, Fernandez and Morales this team can go far this season. Though Ousted was sloppy in the end, wonder if one of the backup goalies will get a chance to start this season.

Arguing about goals, coaching and new signings, and all three were there today.

We finished, and since scoring is so important for Miller hopefully he'll be pumped.

Fernández was very good, and Morales had superior skills, was very spectacular for 20 m on the pitch.

And Robinson did very smart coaching shifts, like moving Miller up high when Morales came in. I hope he proves me wrong this year.

Of the 2 Uruguayans Fernandez was clearly the better by a country mile. All in all a great start but then again we always win our opener and look like world beaters on the first kick :)

Great touch by Miller on his second. Morales rocks. Defense looks solid.

Archived