Vancouver Whitecaps 2014 Roster Thread

tmcmurph

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Preseason and all that but Bustos and Alderson (full 90) looked great.

Really? I thought Bustos did great and looked very comfortable. I can't say the same for Alderson though. He misplaced a a couple of different passes and held the ball too long on occasion, which resulted in us losing possession. I will say that Alderson got better as the game went on, but I'm not convinced he could make a real contribution at MLS level.

Having said that, this is pretty much the only chance I've had to watch either of these players play. I'm sure there are people on this board with much greater knowledge of what these players can bring to the Whitecaps.

Really? I thought Bustos did great and looked very comfortable. I can't say the same for Alderson though. He misplaced a a couple of different passes and held the ball too long on occasion, which resulted in us losing possession. I will say that Alderson got better as the game went on, but I'm not convinced he could make a real contribution at MLS level.

Having said that, this is pretty much the only chance I've had to watch either of these players play. I'm sure there are people on this board with much greater knowledge of what these players can bring to the Whitecaps.

Me too in the not much chance to see them play category. I thought Alderson won back more than he lost and his marauding nature really suited being in the middle of the pitch. I think at the start trying to do too much was his problem but like you said he got better as the game wore on. He played the full 90 so he and Koffie were responsible for the midfield the whole game. Bustos was on for 45 but really impressed. Sam, well you can see why he has played league minutes in MLS. Very strong all over for his 62 minutes.

On watching it again I just realized that it is the first time I've seen Koffie and Alderson play together in the midfield. They may have practiced there together but I don't recall them playing together. Maybe that played into it. They both seemed to be inconsistent in the first half then get a whole lot better in the second half. Of interest to me is that they both played the full 90.

I think Alderson has had a good camp, but last night was not a great game for him. I think he can be a quality MLS player, but with the depth of this team right now, it won't be this year. I hope they find a good loan opportunity for him where he gets to play lots.

I agree that Alderson got a lot better as the game went on. I thought he started off the game playing tentatively and with few ideas other than back passes, but got more comfortable as the game progressed, and over all had a pretty good game. I thought he looked better than Koffie, who's passing, first touch and offensive movement might not be good enough for Robo's system. It will be a battle between him and Alderson this season for the 3rd holding/DM spot on the depth chart... if they both stick around that is.

Dean was a beast and could be a starter by the end of the year if he keeps it up, or if guys get injured.

Sampson also got better as the game went, but is clearly quite raw. He's got no shortage of athleticism though, so hopefully the coaching staff can make a proper footballer out of him. With some refining he could be a useful player to challenge the starters, but probably not this season. If Dean keeps up his form and Sampson is still ~1yr off being a true first team contributor Sam might see more of his time this year at RB rather than LW.

Bustos, made a very good account of himself.

My initial impression of PT is that he's a decent enough shot-stopper, but may struggle to command his area.

Overall you could really see the drop off in (especially passing) quality from the first 11, but a lot of promise there too, and bottom line, out backups were more talented and younger than theirs, and were full value for their win, which bodes well... here's hoping that potential isn't stifled by mismanagement.

Looks like the Whitecaps have their number 10 from Malaga, Chile International Pedro Morales.

Wow. Good signing if he can stay healthy. Nothing on the Caps site yet but here is hoping.

We have filled some holes this off season. Beitashour in for Lee is about equal with Beitashour being younger. Laba in place of Davidson which I think is a major upgrade given what I saw of him last year for TFC. Morales doesn't really replace anyone but is supposed to be good at set pieces which fills part of Camilo's role. Now if one or more of our forwards can score regularly we are back and in a very upgraded way. I'm feeling much better about this season :)

Morales is a mid, and not really even attacking. Press here says Caps are paying 400 thousand euros for him. Looks like a very good signing to me as he's young still so has to really want to be in North America, a good sign, as for sure he'd have options in Spain if he wanted.

I've heard he's a very good crosser of the ball, which explains some appearances as a RM. However, he's mostly come on as an AM according to transfermarkt:

http://www.transfermarkt.com/en/pedro-morales/leistungsdaten/spieler_75314_2013.html

Málaga press and boards wonder why he did not get more minutes this year as the team is struggling. True, as said, good on set pieces, free kicks. Does not really score. Considered to not have the best attitude and a bit of a party-er, don't know how true that might be. So I am not fully clear on how much he'll add but certainly the references are good and he comes from a much higher level.

I dunno, if he doesn't get paid he's a free agent in a couple of months. And the Caps might have a bigger problem getting money from them now.

On another note, Caps made it clear that Jackson Farmer will be going down to Charleston this season. I think it's a good deal, try to imress there and hopefully come back matured.

Laba looked very spirited and very talented last night. Morales looks great in the highlight reel. His rumoured attitude problem doesn't worry me with all the Latinos on the squad and the Spanish speaking coaches; they will have their own happy community. Morales looks like a great provider, but I wonder how many players besides Miller can get on to the end of his crosses, especially when it comes to headers. Salgado has the right body-type but not the skill-set, and most of our other options are fleetfooted guys who prefer it on the carpet. We need an aerial threat up top; I'd be willing to move Koffie right this minute for one or spend whatever loose change we have.

This has the making of a hell of a team but I think it will be a bit like a decent bottle of red - I predict this team will challenge for the cup...in three years. I hope everyone has the patience to see them through the transition stage. Exciting times in Vancouver!

Laba looked very spirited and very talented last night. Morales looks great in the highlight reel. His rumoured attitude problem doesn't worry me with all the Latinos on the squad and the Spanish speaking coaches; they will have their own happy community. Morales looks like a great provider, but I wonder how many players besides Miller can get on to the end of his crosses, especially when it comes to headers. Salgado has the right body-type but not the skill-set, and most of our other options are fleetfooted guys who prefer it on the carpet. We need an aerial threat up top; I'd be willing to move Koffie right this minute for one or spend whatever loose change we have.

Laba always looks spirited. Not the quickest guy out there by far, but works his ass off and every pass is on the money. An interceptor and ball mover.

I honestly think if the Caps back line stays healthy they could potentially challenge for a playoff spot this year. I predict they will have a very slow start to the season, maybe only picking up a win or two at home in the first 10 games. I suspect around July and August that they will really hit their stride and start picking up decent points on the road and be nearly unbeatable at home. Really, just like last year, I think it will come down to how badly the injury bug bites them. Demerit and O'Brian will need rests too, so defensive depth will factor in when it comes to the later season playoff run. With a little luck, they could make it.

The Caps were very close to the playoffs last season in a very competitive West. We've lost Camilo, an aging Lee, and a bunch of guys who mostly stood around and did nothing. Morales, Laba, Fernandez, Mezquida, and Beitashour should more than make up for those guys. Other teams in the West have been standing still or regressing.

I honestly think if the Caps back line stays healthy they could potentially challenge for a playoff spot this year.

I understand that this is a comment that represents optimism, but what you're saying that they are still going to finish bottom half... and this is good?

They need to keep improving, which to me means at least a six point improvement, putting them at 54 points. That's good for 4th in 2013, 8th(tie) in 2012, and 3rd in in 2011.

A six point improvement is more than doable for a club that is supposed to be improving.

I like what the Caps have done this off-season. I think they will challenge again for a playoff spot and they do look improved - at least on paper.

Morales, Laba, Fernandez and Beitashour. That is potentially four new starters. They have improved the squad without making wholesale changes like some other teams...

TFC (Bradley, Defoe, Cesear, Orr, Morrow and DeRosario)

DCU (Franklin, Boswell, Espindola, Johnson, Arnaud and Park)

With less changes I think they will have more chemistry out the gate, and come end of season time they might have more points than some will expect as a result.

I like what the Caps have done this off-season. I think they will challenge again for a playoff spot and they do look improved - at least on paper.

How can you say on one hand that you like what they've done, and then follow that up by saying they'll finish in the bottom half?

I am saying I believe they will finish outside the playoffs. There are a lot of things that have to go right for the Caps, and there's just too many of them for me to believe they'll be playoff material come November. One of the big ones for me is the back line staying healthy. So like I said, with a little luck they can make the playoffs, but if the injury bug hits, forget about it.

Archived