Canada announces preliminary roster for Gold Cup

David C.

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How do we feel about Straith getting a call over Ouimette? Does the young Impact defender still need another year before he is an option?

Oh and hmmm... I wonder if Impact's tight schedule in August plays a factor here. They are going to have a very busy summer, so maybe everyone all around just decided it was a good idea for them to keep the depth in their roster without overtiring them. With that said, we are lucky to have Ledgerwood for both a friendly and the Gold Cup, Hammarby are alright in my books.

Bernier: Didn't he retire internationally???

Hume & Jakovic: Ya, I am surprised too....a bit. Hume club situation is a bit uneasy, and Jako is a known quantity. We know exactly what he'll give us and he won't really gain anything, nor the program, by including him. It makes sense to me but then again I been calling for basically a u25 type team with only a few guys in their later 20's.

Kluka: Where is he?

My 23

GK: Borjan, Chenchinski (if he has a club, if not, Hirsch), Thomas

*It's Borjan's time. We need not call both Borjan and Hirsch. (Thomas needs to get a #1 spot somewhere though in the next year or so)

DF: De Jong, Morgan, Edgar, Hainault, Henry, Straith, Attakora

MF: Aird, Aleman, Bekker, Hutchinson, Johnson, Osorio, Piette, Teibert, *D. Haber (if he gets a club)

*replacement: Issey

FW: Cavalini, *REB (if he gets a club), *Jackson (if he gets a club), Porter

*replacements: Cebara, Haber

Known Quantites - don't call them up: Hirsch, Ledgerwood, JDG, DeRo, Ricketts

I honestly can't say if Porter is better than Daniel Haber or Stefan Cebara.....If not selecting Aird then select Pacheco (if he gets a club)

For me this is a developmental tournament. Get 3 games, hope for 4. Cap-tie, and learn each others names. Let the youngsters meet the vets and speak with them about the positives and negatives of the program. Let them have a team meeting to discuss where the program was, is, and where it wants to be by 2018, by 2022. Discuss the players that aren't there and maybe why they aren't and who of them will be included. (making it clear this is an official trial).

From this squad my XI is

GK: Borjan

LB: De Jong

CB: Edgar

CB: Hainault

RB: Straith (pick-em with Attakora)

MF: Teibert

MF: Hutch

MF: Johnson

MF: Aleman (yep!)

FW: Cavallini

FW: Jackson

This roster makes me...you know what.

here is My 23:

Keepers: Borjan, Hirschfeld, Chencinski

Defenders: Morgan, Ledgerwood, Hainault, Edgar, Henry, Attakora, De Jong

Midfielders: De Guzman, Hutchinson, Aleman, Johnson, Teibert, Aird, Osorio

Forwards: Porter, Cavallini, Jackson, Edwini-Bonsu, De Rosario

If Bernier was available I would slot him in for JDG, and I am also tempted to slot Piette in there, but I feel like the above has the right blend of experience and youth and skill. Some may disagree about my inclusion of Aleman but the kid is talented regardless of the fact he has never played a professional match. Creative players are something we need. I also wanted to include Pacheco but who do we drop from the midfield? Arid also has to be cap tied if he is good.

Also, I think Jakovic is battling injuries now, albeit nothing major.

I actually miscounted and put 22 players in my list so I added Piette. If you wanted to you could add him or Pacheco.

About Jakovic. The CSA named 34 names on the roster. It's probably a typical CSA screw-up.

Here are the preliminary rosters of the 12 teams. Interesting to see that Mexico will bring a team of domestic players with one prospect who plays in Spain. Panama has put their top players on that list. I don't know if Martinique has a good team, I'm not a Martinique conoisseur. I know that Piquionne is on the team.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8810352/Gold%20Cup%20Roster.pdf

My guess is the Impact asked to have Bernier left off. They will have a lot games ahead now that they qualified for the champions League
What would benefit be to national team? Gold Cup is over long before Champions League begins, so no conflict there. It's not like Montreal is losing any other Canadians.

About Jakovic. The CSA named 34 names on the roster. It's probably a typical CSA screw-up.

Here are the preliminary rosters of the 12 teams. Interesting to see that Mexico will bring a team of domestic players with one prospect who plays in Spain. Panama has put their top players on that list. I don't know if Martinique has a good team, I'm not a Martinique conoisseur. I know that Piquionne is on the team.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8810352/Gold%20Cup%20Roster.pdf

Pretty strong roster for the Americans.

Oh, I thought we wanted to win the Gold Cup. Apparently it's just three friendlies. Better call up a bunch of ****ty players and little kids then. Good plan CSA.

If you seriously think Cebara or D. Haber are ahead of Saiko you should be arrested for drug possession. FC Edmonton is going to play John Smits ahead of Simon Thomas, but the CSA says "take the guy with 20 minutes professional experience!" (and I like Simon).

Oh, I thought we wanted to win the Gold Cup. Apparently it's just three friendlies. Better call up a bunch of ****ty players and little kids then. Good plan CSA.

If you seriously think Cebara or D. Haber are ahead of Saiko you should be arrested for drug possession. FC Edmonton is going to play John Smits ahead of Simon Thomas, but the CSA says "take the guy with 20 minutes professional experience!" (and I like Simon).

Maybe Miller has something to do with this.

Also, shouldn't we be worried to see so many players ''unattached'' to a club? Shows the quality of our squad to be.

No because they are "unattached" as of a couple days ago. Most, if not all, have significant prospects on the horizon and will be attached as of July 1st.

Their list isn't even accurate regarding that anyways. Haidar Al-Shaïbani is unattached as well now.

I like the roster though. It would have been nice to see Hume and Bernier. I worry that Simpson hasn't recovered yet (if he has wouldn't he be listed?).

EDIT: MLS and DC United articles state that Dejan Jakovic was included in our 35-man roster. Expect the CSA to update their list soon (the original list - pasted above -- only had 34 players noted).
Weird. CSA fail.

schtevetown makes a really good point.

I had forgot about Saiko, but ya, he should be on a 35 man squad such as this. But at the same time he is capped already (isn't he?) or at least committed to the program - and everyone knows he needs to get out of NASL (no offense to FCE) so playing in GC and risking injury in the NASL off-season wouldn't be the best move.

Oh, I thought we wanted to win the Gold Cup.

thats the bit I disagree with you. I never thought the CSA had any intention of wanting to win this Gold Cup. I was always under the impression this was about seeing what kids are worth seeing for the next round of WC qualifying.

Re: Aird, I think I recall in the mists of time that we've put people on our preliminary roster before in the hopes they could be called but who ended up never actually playing or intending to play for Canada. I can't remember the specific example which is because there have been way too many such players who have chosen not to play for us. I'm not saying that's what is happening here but that it could be a possibility.

Re: Aird, I think I recall in the mists of time that we've put people on our preliminary roster before in the hopes they could be called but who ended up never actually playing or intending to play for Canada. I can't remember the specific example which is because there have been way too many such players who have chosen not to play for us. I'm not saying that's what is happening here but that it could be a possibility.

FWIW, I've read on many websites that Aird was open to play for Canada. I don't know if he was Milan Borjan open or (insert who you want here) open about it. We shall see.

Saiko is 23 year old playing in NASL. That isn't good enough anymore! He should be playing in MLS or somewhere in Europe if he wants to play for national team. It's time to set standards here.

Also, we got plenty of quality midfielders, but however we lack strikers (that is why Cebara and Haber were called up).

Archived