Canada announces preliminary roster for Gold Cup

David C.

I never said failed. I said failing. He's playing like garbage, or rather sitting on the bench like garbage; at the same age Saiko had already been NASL Best XI. Remember, Bekker's only ten months younger than Saiko.

I have jumped off the Bekker wagon, but I have to admit that he isn't playing like "garbage" when he is given the chance. Playing below expectations? For sure, but let us keep in mind that those expectations are sky high. Furthermore, he is being playing out of position (which I cannot understand).

Is the CSA that stupid that they cannot see he will never have the skill set to be a flank player? Or are they so keen on putting him on the field that they would rather play him out of position than keep him on the bench? I refuse to believe that EVEN the CSA is THAT blind, so I assume the latter. That being said, if he is not good enough to see the field in his natural position, keep him on the bench. It is like they feel obligated to play him.

Back to Saiko though, I was kinda surprised he never made the preliminary roster. I think the CSA is afraid to call a player in the NASL, even a stand out such as Saiko. You know what though? One has to beg the question "why is he even in NASL still"? Whether rightly or wrongly, I suspect that if him and Porter switched places it would be Saiko on that list.

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As Aird already played for Scotland in at the UEFA U17 level, is he not required to make a formal switch application with FIFA to represent Canada? By including him in the preliminary squad it could mean he has already made the switch, no? Otherwise, I can't think why the CSA puts his name on the list without him being eligible (yet).

Disappointed Hume is not there. He, Hutchinson and hopefully Simpson have to be the leaders in terms of talent and experience for the next few years.

I never said failed. I said failing. He's playing like garbage, or rather sitting on the bench like garbage; at the same age Saiko had already been NASL Best XI. Remember, Bekker's only ten months younger than Saiko.

Bekker also outperformed Saiko with the Olympic team big time....

Saiko just doesn't have it I'm afraid, Bekker has a lot more potential as a professional player and that's why you are seeing him preferred by the CMNT and coveted by MLS teams while Saiko is playing in the NASL. I think the fact that he was dropped by his coach last season, saw little time and looked poor at the Olympic qualifiers, has never impressed in the Voyageurs Cup, wasn't called by the CMNT to a match in Edmonton with his own manager coaching and also the fact that no MLS teams have come knocking all add up for me...

I watch as many FCE matches as possible. Saiko has fantastic technique which is why he stands out and excels in NASL but obviously he has holes that need to be fixed before he can make it to the next level (on this side of the pond at least).

Bekker over Saiko all day for me. Was Teibert "failing" sitting on the bench last year for Vancouver?

Aird has usually given the standard keeping my options open response we get from so many players who don't want to play for us but has been also pretty non-committal about playing for Scotland. I think his mother wants him to play for Canada but father wants him to play for Scotland. The following interview with Anthony Totera deals with the topic and Totera (love this guy) takes him to task a bit for not automatically selecting Canada.

That was great. Simple but strong - "don't forget where you came from young man". Good stuff!

Bekker, when compared to the others youngsters you list, is several years older, and as inexperienced or more inexperienced as a professional. I just don't have a lot of hope for him. Like Lord Bob, I think Shaun Saiko, at a similar age, would be a better option at the same position.

By no means do I think our "first choice" players have done fine but I do also want to see a competitive team out there. In the three matches I have watched Bekker (vs Denmark, and vs Montreal twice in Voyageurs Cup) he has looked lost. I wouldn't say the same of Osorio, or what I've seen of Piette for Canada.

Yes this is my problem with Bekker too, that he looks lost out there most of the time. It is too bad because his kicks on set pieces are better than we have had in years and this is pretty crucial since we do not score from open play. He also has some technical skills and makes the occasional nice play which is why we all had such high hopes for him. The problem is he doesn't seem to know where he should be on the pitch and what he should be doing there. And as tempting as it is to play him as a designated hitter so we can score some goals he could also cost us a lot of goals. One can only hope that playing at a higher level in MLS and MNT will teach him how to play the game better because he has the skills to be a good player, he just isn't a good player at the present time.

Also not sure why people seem to be high on Chechinski. He looked terrible against Belarus and that is exactly the same way he looked in Sweden from what I was able to see of him. Some good shot stopping ability but terrible positioning and decision-making. He was brought in to Orebro to be a starter but lost the job and only played in about 50% of their matches and has not played one game for Maccabi even when their starting keeper was away losing out to a 20 year old. He is also not that young at 28 years old and when I see him play I do not see much potential. Haidar looks to be more solid to me from what I have seen of him and he is only a few months older. I would prefer to see Thomas as the third keeper after Borjan and Lars since he is younger but I would pick Haider over Tomer.

I'm just saying this right now, but I think that Lars will be the 3rd goalkeeper and stay at Va°lerenga and be an emergency call-up ala Kenny Stamataopoulos 4 years ago. Canada has always brought 20 players for the Gold Cup since the revamped only CONCACAF teams format. I can't talk for previous tournaments, because I didn't follow the previous Gold Cups, and from what I've seen (Wikipedia BABY!), they brought even less players. Even 2 years ago when Atiba and Marcel de Jong got injured, after the Jakovic injury against Ecuador, Canada didn't call David Edgar to Kansas City, so even those 3 players would only get called in a case of force majeure. A goalkeeper's injury/suspension is probably the only reason why Canada would recall one of those 3 players.

Yes this is my problem with Bekker too, that he looks lost out there most of the time. It is too bad because his kicks on set pieces are better than we have had in years and this is pretty crucial since we do not score from open play. He also has some technical skills and makes the occasional nice play which is why we all had such high hopes for him. The problem is he doesn't seem to know where he should be on the pitch and what he should be doing there. And as tempting as it is to play him as a designated hitter so we can score some goals he could also cost us a lot of goals. One can only hope that playing at a higher level in MLS and MNT will teach him how to play the game better because he has the skills to be a good player, he just isn't a good player at the present time.

Also not sure why people seem to be high on Chechinski. He looked terrible against Belarus and that is exactly the same way he looked in Sweden from what I was able to see of him. Some good shot stopping ability but terrible positioning and decision-making. He was brought in to Orebro to be a starter but lost the job and only played in about 50% of their matches and has not played one game for Maccabi even when their starting keeper was away losing out to a 20 year old. He is also not that young at 28 years old and when I see him play I do not see much potential. Haidar looks to be more solid to me from what I have seen of him and he is only a few months older. I would prefer to see Thomas as the third keeper after Borjan and Lars since he is younger but I would pick Haider over Tomer.

'Lost' is a bit harsh. Slow. I agree. I think his tackling isn't awful, but his movement off the ball is generally rather poor, and moves do seem to end with him in that sense. I think part of the issue was that he was going to be some 'playmaker' because of his shooting. In fact he seems more like a classic pivot, someone that players move off of to receive the ball on the wings FROM him. So if he's being played on the wing, that's bad.

As far as attacking, he has looked ok sitting outside of the 18 and moving the play along to quicker players. or taking some nice curling shots. And btw, his first touch is MILES better than many of our veteran CM's. And I'm going to say it, even better than Hutch, no contest there at all in fact.

Well, I asked Bernier directly and he himself said he has definitely not retired from CanMNT.

I see that you also tweeted Hume about his exclusion from the team ... good on you for that! Such a bizarre decision ... given that someone like Frank Jonke made the prelim roster, and he's only just over a year younger than Hume. I really don't know what to make of this decision: invite back most of the 8-1 debacle team, but leave off the one guy who scored for us!?

I see that you also tweeted Hume about his exclusion from the team ... good on you for that! Such a bizarre decision ... given that someone like Frank Jonke made the prelim roster, and he's only just over a year younger than Hume. I really don't know what to make of this decision: invite back most of the 8-1 debacle team, but leave off the one guy who scored for us!?

My guess is it would have to do with his club situation, which as I recall, (on PNE)'s side. Is rather bull****.

My guess is it would have to do with his club situation, which as I recall, (on PNE)'s side. Is rather bull****.

I did think of this, but I'm not sure if this was communicated with Hume, who clearly wanted to be involved. Hume also mentions on his twitter that he was invited for the Costa Rica friendly but it didn't work out for some other reasons ... So, it seems like he is still in the MNT plans.

About Hume, it can be tough to say. With a tweet like that, it could be something on Hume's end where he had something in his personal life that was important to deal with.

And back to Bekker, I guess the only thing I have to say to all his negativity, is that I agree with a lot of it. My hope is that he shows the character Teibert showed, and works triple hard at training to better himself where he is weak. But technically, Bekker is so gifted in some ways that I refuse to just give up on it. It's tough to say...he has a lot of work to do, I agree with that.

I agree that the Academy route is a better route, but I prefer not to pigeon-hole it into a couple players. There are plenty of NCAA to MLS success stories and plenty of Academy to MLS flop stories. Besides, it's still early in both their careers.

Bekker vs. Teibert. This is the NCAA vs. Academy debate personified.

If Bekker were in a strong European academy I would agree. He has the raw skills but probably lacked the level of coaching and competitive play in NCAA to bring him to a better level. I am not sure at this point he would have got anything better from a North American academy though.

Both are pretty flawed. The academy route will get better once MLS gets their USL partnership in full force and that starts to solve their U23 development issues. To me, it looks like the smart money is still on trying your luck abroad.

Anyway, not much of a fan of this roster. It is simply way too speculative and not enough focus on current form. For my money Osorio is the only TFC player that should be getting a call. Henry makes at least one huge mental error every game and Morgan is just struggling mightily out there. Bekker has not been good in MLS play in the limited time he has seen. If that is the standard it takes to make the nats I don't know what to say... the CSA thinks it has a better beat on where the talent is then the pro teams? Maybe the final 23 will boil things down to business, but otherwise it looks like the CSA is going to chase shadows "developing" and cap-tieing some some eddy sidra's and massih wassey's.

Does anyone know if we are trying to organize one more friendly just before the GC? I noticed that the U.S. will play Guat. in early July, I believe. I really think we need at least one more match ... and I hope it's not one of those "closed door friendlies".

---------------Borjan-------------

Edgar--Hainault--Jackovic-De Jong

-------Johnson--De Guzman-------

-------------Hutchinson------------

---Jackson--------------De Rosario

--------------Cavallini----------------

All Attack!!!

Subs in : Aird, Aleman, Piette

If everyone is healthy, my starting 11 would be:

---------------Borjan-------------

Edgar--Attakora--Jakovic--De Jong

-------Johnson--De Guzman-------

-------------Hutchinson------------

--Jackson------------------Teibert--

--------------Cavallini----------------

If you want Teibert to shine put him at right mid. He looks so much better there than on the left side. Let's see if he can be our Messi :)

Agreed...I'd slot Johnson on the left side and let him try a more offensive role in an offensive starved attack. That would push Jackson to the center in behind Cavallini.

I don't think we should forget Porter. If he still played for a Canadian team we'd all be in love with the guy by now, he's playing great football

Archived