2013 Vancouver Whitecaps Roster Dance

Caps look a bit at sea lately. They've lost their mojo, and I don't think it helped to have Mattocks out there. He looks especially lost. Not sure he's got the smarts to become a fantastic footballer, even at the MLS level. Manneh, well, he's young and needs to learn a lot, but I see so much more upside to him. I'd bring Hertzog back, let Mattocks go. Sure, Mattocks has been injured and he is still so young, but I am not sure I am seeing the pieces required. What's up with Camilo?

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Caps look a bit at sea lately. They've lost their mojo, and I don't think it helped to have Mattocks out there. He looks especially lost. Not sure he's got the smarts to become a fantastic footballer, even at the MLS level. Manneh, well, he's young and needs to learn a lot, but I see so much more upside to him. I'd bring Hertzog back, let Mattocks go. Sure, Mattocks has been injured and he is still so young, but I am not sure I am seeing the pieces required. What's up with Camilo?

I agree, I haven't liked Mattocks much. One play tonight just a few minutes before he subbed out (coincidence?) a through ball went by him, and he hung his head. The keeper had punched the ball out, and here's Mattocks walking around in an offside position for a good 15, 20 seconds basically ruining the play. He was off screen for most of it, so it went unnoticed by the commentators, but I was like...wtf!!!

As for Camilo, they mentioned a groin injury, but not a serious one, near the beginning of the game.

I think with the CBs getting healthy we could really start to shut down teams more effectively. Lot's of talk amongst supporters about Leveron at CDM.

But personally, I have been entertaining the notion of him sliding to LB. For all the gusto Harvey has watching him play defense is giving me ulcers.

The 4-3-3 is a okay but I would like Rennie to try a 4-4-1-1 with the chemistry Miller and Camilo have developed they should be a good 2 striker combo.

--------Ousted

Lee-O'Brien-DeMerit-Leveron

Teibert-ReoC-Koffie/Daigo-Manneh/Harvey

----------Miller

-----------Camilo

Seems to be the way we can get all our strongest pieces on the pitch.

Also I definitely agree on Mattocks. Maybe we can trade him for some FB depth. Depth in the middle of the park would help to. Watson has been good, but after him there is no one.

I'd rather have Leveron at the DM role. His passing would be very effective from that position (he'd be able to do more short and mid range not always long). Plus when Lee and/or Harvey go forward we'd still have 3 CBs in place to defend.

---------- Ousted

Lee-O'Brien-DeMerit-Harvey

----------- Leveron

Teibert-ReoC-Koffie

-----Camilo-Miller

I'd rather have Leveron at the DM role. His passing would be very effective from that position (he'd be able to do more short and mid range not always long). Plus when Lee and/or Harvey go forward we'd still have 3 CBs in place to defend.

---------- Ousted

Lee-O'Brien-DeMerit-Harvey

----------- Leveron

Teibert-ReoC-Koffie

-----Camilo-Miller

When Mitchell came on for Lee on Saturday did anyone see if there was a formation change? I have a hunch that Leveron was pushed forward into a de facto DM position. Could be the start of something new. Rochat was tried there too wasn't he? I agree that Leveron is a good bet to fit well there. His long ball could be of some use and he's as likely of any of the proper mids to bang one in from the middle of the park.

Ok not trying to change the subject but we are in the last stretch run of the season 9games remaining:

1 Away game against Eastern Conference MTL Impact

4 Home games vs Western Conference

4 Away games vs Western Conference

Martin Renie didn't win the Voyageurs Cup, and what will happen if the Whitecaps do NOT make the playoffs?

Do the whitecaps Offer him Another contract or not? His contract expires at seasons end. There was talk that had he won the Voyageurs Cup the Whitecaps would offer him a Year Extension( source WFC Daily).

Marc Weber reporting that Sam Adekugbe will sign with the Caps in the near future.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Team+high+hopes+Adekugbe/8841019/story.html

"He fits the mould of a modern fullback: athletic, fast and forwardthinking with an accurate cross. The physical side of his game, and his one-on-one defending, remains a major focus."

The physical side of things isn't a big concern as that will improve with age and strength training. However, the one-on-one defending? Sounds a lot like the problem Ashtone Morgan currently has.

I love how they include the pronounciation

Sam Adekugbe

Pronunciation: add-ah-koo-bee

Now I know how to chant it correctly :)

It will be interesting to see if he is groomed for a RB or LB role. At 18 I don't see him cracking the starting 11 for at least a year or two but you never know. Like the Caps assistant coach Ritchie said "we'll give these kids as much time as they need to be part of the first team squad". We will serve no wine before its time :)

It will be interesting to see if he is groomed for a RB or LB role. At 18 I don't see him cracking the starting 11 for at least a year or two but you never know.

I don't think I saw Adekugbe play a single minute of right back with the Residency.

Then Harvey is in his sights :)

I don't think he will step in any time soon and I'm sure they will bring in some more players in the off season for the RB and other positions but I wonder about him playing there because I never saw Russell at right mid prior to this year and now he owns the position. Some players struggle on their off wing others thrive. We'll see.

• 1 month later...

Despite missing out on the two main objectives of the season. Caps fans were in full force last night to serenade YP Lee into retirement as well as celebrate the consolations of Cascadia bragging rights and Camilo's spectacular hat-trick that clinched him the Golden Boot.

This off-season will be really interesting. Here is my initial look at the Roster as it is. Release/Trade/Keep

Keepers

Cannon - (Trade/Release) - No indications of Retirement, yet, but that contract is way too high.

Knighton - (Trade) - I think he could fetch us something on the MLS market, shown some consistency this year.

Ousted - (Keep) - Shaky start but this guy is a stud athlete

Thomas - (Keep) - Young and Canadian, nuf said

Defenders

Klazura - (Release) - Just hasn't shown any MLS quality

Harvey - (Keep/Trade) - Trade him if the right deal comes or if he isn't happy on the bench.

Adekugbe - (Keep) - Looked strong on his debut, young and Canadian.

Leveron - (Keep) - was strong this year in the centre of defence could see him as the starting CB or move to DM.

Rusin (Keep/Trade) - Good depth cover if he can stay healthy, Trade if the right deal comes.

DeMerit (Keep/Trade) - Keep if he takes a pay cut, trade if not, hard choice showed unbelievable work ethic this year.

O'Brien (Keep) - earned an extension was the rock at the back while Jay was out.

Mitchell (Keep) - impressive season for Mitchell, stud in the air, and is getting better still.

Midfielders

Reo-Coker (Keep) - Was the anchor of our midfield for most games this year

Teibert (Keep) - Finally broke out this season

Davidson (Keep) - Lots of hate towards him, but unless we upgrade on him he is safe depth at his position

Kobayashi (Keep) - finally found his feet after playing in his preferred spot

Koffie (Keep/Trade) - loads of potential still, but if the right deal comes trade him

Alderson (Keep) - Young and Canadian

Watson (Release/Trade) - release unless we cannot find an upgrade on him then

Abdallah (Release) - no explanation needed

Forwards

Salgado (Trade) - Is he ever gonna be healthy?

Hurtado (Release/Trade) - Was never a factor on the field and I don't believe he ever will

Manneh (Keep) - Monster potential and found some chemistry with Camilo

Mattocks (Trade) - Still is an attractive weapon, but i've had enough of watching him run with his head down.

Camilo (Keep) - The Magician is going nowhere

Miller (Keep) - has a 6 month extension so here till summer at least

Heinemann (Keep/Release) - on the fence with him he had a good reserve year, provides size and depth at low cost.

Clarke (Keep) - Young and Canadian

Hertzog (Release) - Don't really rate him, rather see more Canadians on the club than attempting to find Hertzog's potential.

It appears I agree with everything Kottonmouthed said.

Definitely trade/release Rusin.

Harvey might be an interesting left mid option? As a back-up, of course.

Definitely trade/release Hertzog and Heinemann. Loan out Clarke for another year. Trade or sell Mattocks.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I think these are pretty solid assessments of the players. I was never impressed with Mattocks all year, and now that he's beaked off to the Jamaican press about the Caps, I think the guy needs to go. Problem is, everybody will have caught up to the fact that he talked to the press in the way he has, and if any club out there has half a brain, they would understand that this guy's ego is too huge for him to ever become the sort of footballer he thinks he already is. The guys has wheels, but nothing more at this point. He's turning into a bit of a douche. Get rid of him. You don't need a guy like that in the room and on the pitch.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the move to Hibs makes sense for Miller.

Rangers are not in the position to match the salary the 'caps are giving over the next 6 months.

I am back and forth on Miller, he brought a viable scoring option to the 'caps last year while also bringing slid leadership., but his health is a definite concern. As well without, Rennie Miller might lose some favour for the starting XI, which at his salary playing off the bench would be a waste.

Miller's spot is gonna rely heavily on the new manager's style of play and assessment of the roster and the forwards.

• 2 weeks later...

Vancouver Trims Roster

"The club also announced that it has declined the options for goalkeepers Joe Cannon, Brad Knighton, and Simon Thomas, defender Brad Rusin, midfielders Jun Marques Davidson and Daigo Kobayashi , as well as strikers Tommy Heinemann and Corey Hertzog."

Wow. They certainly let go of alot.

The following 19 Whitecaps FC players are under contract for the 2014 season.

Goalkeeper (1): David Ousted

Defenders (5) : Sam Adekugbe, Jordan Harvey, Johnny Leveron, Carlyle Mitchell, Andy O’Brien

Midfielders (7): Aminu Abhallah, Bryce Alderson, Gershon Koffie, Erik Hurtado, Nigel Reo-Coker, Russell Teibert, Matt Watson

Strikers (6): Caleb Clarke, Kekuta Manneh, Darren Mattocks, Kenny Miller, Omar Salgado, Camilo Sanvezzo

Archived