2013 Vancouver Whitecaps Roster Dance

Too bad about Simon Thomas. I thought for sure he'd get a chance to back-up Ousted. Could mean that Carducci signs as 3rd keeper, and Callum Irving comes back from Kentucky. Not sure there's a rush to pull him out of school to sit on the bench though.

Not sure I care about anyone else. I probably would have released Harvey, but I suspect he has some trade value and would have been picked up straight away in the re-entry draft.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Vancouver Trims Roster

"The club also announced that it has declined the options for goalkeepers Joe Cannon, Brad Knighton, and Simon Thomas, defender Brad Rusin, midfielders Jun Marques Davidson and Daigo Kobayashi , as well as strikers Tommy Heinemann and Corey Hertzog."

Wow. They certainly let go of alot.

The following 19 Whitecaps FC players are under contract for the 2014 season.

Goalkeeper (1): David Ousted

Defenders (5) : Sam Adekugbe, Jordan Harvey, Johnny Leveron, Carlyle Mitchell, Andy O’Brien

Midfielders (7): Aminu Abhallah, Bryce Alderson, Gershon Koffie, Erik Hurtado, Nigel Reo-Coker, Russell Teibert, Matt Watson

Strikers (6): Caleb Clarke, Kekuta Manneh, Darren Mattocks, Kenny Miller, Omar Salgado, Camilo Sanvezzo

News flash: For the first time in Whitecaps MLS history, Canadians (4) out number Americans (3)! I guess DeMerit could even the score, but I still see this as a modest sign of progress!

As of now what's DeMerit situation? His contract expires at years end no? They haven't released or resigned him. I guess it's called negotiations.

Mattocks I was certain they were ready to ship him somewhere in exchange of picks/allocation money. Long Tan got the boot for tweeting mind you he wasn't MLS caliber

The only REAL surprises for me are letting Simon Thomas go and keeping Aminu Abhallah. Aminu didnt play a minute, takes an international spot and didnt impress in the reserves. The coaches must see something in him though?

Knighton wanted to go and everyone knew it. I get the impression Rusin was a weird dude and didnt warm Canada. - very 'Merican tweeting about politics, religion and the rest. Mattocks is still on a contract, but I'd wagger he's on the trading block.

It was good to clear house of the Carolina crowd. It was a stupid to bring them in the first place and lets the new coach start with a clean slate, nothing left from the Rennie era.

The only REAL surprises for me are letting Simon Thomas go and keeping Aminu Abhallah. Aminu didnt play a minute, takes an international spot and didnt impress in the reserves. The coaches must see something in him though?

Knighton wanted to go and everyone knew it. I get the impression Rusin was a weird dude and didnt warm Canada. - very 'Merican tweeting about politics, religion and the rest. Mattocks is still on a contract, but I'd wagger he's on the trading block.

It was good to clear house of the Carolina crowd. It was a stupid to bring them in the first place and lets the new coach start with a clean slate, nothing left from the Rennie era.

Nothing left from the Rennie era? Ousted, O'brien, Leveron, Watson, Miller...

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, Preki being on the shortlist does not inspire one with a lot of confidence. Jesse Marsch seems like the best candidate left though if Robinson is as much a supporter of the Canadian academy players that would at least be a good appointment from a national point of view.

Wow, Preki being on the shortlist does not inspire one with a lot of confidence. Jesse Marsch seems like the best candidate left though if Robinson is as much a supporter of the Canadian academy players that would at least be a good appointment from a national point of view.

Marc Weber has been fed a fair amount of bull**** by the club (or whoever his sources may be). There are so many other obvious candidates to interview -such as Guillermo Barros Schelotto who just won a Copa Sudamericana with Lanus- I find it really hard to believe the Caps are wasting time with Preki. Marsch may be worth an interview, but I doubt very much that he fits into the overall philosophy.

Interesting that it seems Thomas Rongen left TFC yesterday. He's a bit of a poor man's Bob Bradley (MLS cup followed by a stint with the USSF). If the Caps were really interested in Bradley, presumably Rongen would be worth an interview. Although his bow ties and crazy Dutchness have always made me think he's incompetent.

I think I would take half of the members of the V's over a guy like Preki.

My sources tell me that the Whitecaps have interviewed Bob Bradley, Jason Kreis, Carl Robinson, Grizzly, and Trillium.

I confirm the interview but not sure if I will be chosen. There was some questioning of my strategy to play Lord Bob at keeper for every game against the Impact! :)

Numerous sources now reporting that Carl Robinson is the new manager of the Whitecaps. Pretty pleased with this overall. Though I probably would have tried for GBS before Bradley & Kreis.

MLS got priced out of GBS when he won Copa Sudamerica couple of days ago.

I wonder what Boca would pay him? I'd be surprised if it's the $1m the Caps were reportedly offering Bob Bradley.

If GBS gets an offer from Boca, he'll take it. He's a legend there. Boca could pay him peanuts and he'd still take it. For prestige, Argentine First Division beats MLS.

Robinson doesn't exactly fit the bill of what the 'Caps kept telling us they were going for. Secondly, how does hiring the assistant of the coach that just got fired change things? Can't we expect that Rennie and Robinson worked together, and as such share a similar philosophy?

I think Robinson has the potential to be a good coach, but I'm not sure that the timing and team is right, at least not at the moment.

The club started with Teitur, who had lots of experience all over the place, and that didn't work out. Then they replaced him with Soehn, who had a fair bit of MLS experience as an assistant, and two years as a head coach. He got replaced by the less experienced Rennie, who had only a few seasons in USL under his belt. Now, they replace him with Carl Robinson, who has just two years as an assistant under his belt.

Robinson doesn't exactly fit the bill of what the 'Caps kept telling us they were going for. Secondly, how does hiring the assistant of the coach that just got fired change things? Can't we expect that Rennie and Robinson worked together, and as such share a similar philosophy?

I think Robinson has the potential to be a good coach, but I'm not sure that the timing and team is right, at least not at the moment.

The club started with Teitur, who had lots of experience all over the place, and that didn't work out. Then they replaced him with Soehn, who had a fair bit of MLS experience as an assistant, and two years as a head coach. He got replaced by the less experienced Rennie, who had only a few seasons in USL under his belt. Now, they replace him with Carl Robinson, who has just two years as an assistant under his belt.

Not to mention Rennie improved the team 2 years in a row. First one was around a 50% increase in points and the second with a 10% increase. To replace him with the assistant is a bit of a joke. As to the criteria of success there is only one that matters. For all the bleating that the Duze does about this, that and the other it is quite simple; MAKE THE MLS PLAYOFFS and all other deficiencies will be forgiven. Fail to make the MLS playoffs and your days are numbered even if you improve the team.

If Robo does get it I hope they don't mess their pants at the first downturn. he is a good quality coach (IMHO) but less experience than any of the others so they must not be able to attract anyone at the level they initially wanted. The fact that they interviewed Preki does not bode well. I want nothing to do with him. I'm still holding out hope for GBS :)

Archived