2013 Vancouver Whitecaps Roster Dance

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the plus side Camilo is on a tear and Russell just keeps the defence in fits on the right side (gets 2 assists on Camilo's goals) and NRC is playing great. Now about that defence. Damn tough run with all the injuries but we'll see if they can make it against some weaker teams with a reduced lineup. Might see the 4-2-3-1 again. He has got away from that and played more of a 4-1-4-1 with only JMD back. Leveron is good but needs somebody and if Sam gets a start (would I ever love to see it) then you can count on both JMD and Gersh/Watson in front. The other 4 will have to make things happen offensively on their own with some help from RB/LB.

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/news/2013/06/whitecaps-fc-recall-defender-carlyle-mitchell-fc-edmonton

Whitecaps FC recall defender Carlyle Mitchell from FC Edmonton

Centre back returns to Vancouver INDEFINITELY

Vancouver Whitecaps FC announced today that the club has recalled centre back Carlyle Mitchell indefinitely from his loan at North American Soccer League (NASL) club FC Edmonton. Mitchell will be eligible for this Saturday's Major League Soccer (MLS) home match against New England Revolution at BC Place.

Whitecaps FC currently have three centre backs out injured, including captain Jay DeMerit (ruptured Achilles tendon), Andy O'Brien (hamstring), and Brad Rusin (calf strain).

Mitchell, 25, was last recalled to Vancouver on May 16, 2013 when centre back Johnny Leveron was suspended for the 'Caps home match against Portland Timbers on May 18. The Trinidad and Tobago international had played every minute for FC Edmonton during their NASL season before suffering a sprained ankle against Fort Lauderdale Strikers on May 26. In total, Mitchell has started seven matches for FC Edmonton while playing 559 minutes.

The 6-foot-2 defender joined Whitecaps FC on September 14, 2011, after starting his professional career in his home country with Joe Public FC in the Trinidad and Tobago Professional Football League. In two seasons in Vancouver, Mitchell has started five MLS regular season matches.

Rennie in a interview with Rintoul on TEAM hinted at how Rochat's deal was directly tied to the signing of newcomers. In fact he said those signings could already filed and just waiting PR approval.

Also, according to Twitterverse FC Nantes YJ Lee is on trial with the Whitecaps. He is a striker with a less than impressive strike record of 3 goals in 39 appearances for the French club.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Yong-Jae

Rennie in a interview with Rintoul on TEAM hinted at how Rochat's deal was directly tied to the signing of newcomers. In fact he said those signings could already filed and just waiting PR approval.

Also, according to Twitterverse FC Nantes YJ Lee is on trial with the Whitecaps. He is a striker with a less than impressive strike record of 3 goals in 39 appearances for the French club.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Yong-Jae

He also just turned 22 which, alongside his impressive training spells in Europe, should mean he has enough upside for a sniff to join the squad as a long term prospect if he's cheap enough. I wonder if you are Clarke, though, if you feel like a spare part potentially replaced with another spare part. I have a suspicion the former is in a situation not unlike Teibert's last year.

Rennie is not getting results, hence the second guessing. More results, less second-guessing. I would agree that the team was over-performing the first half last year. So, they were more lucky than good the first half last year, the worst team in the league the second half last year and mediocre for the first half so far this year. The Rennie era has not been covered in glory so far.

However, in response to Grizzly, the team has been much better to watch this year. The majority of the away games last year were horrible to watch, and many of the home games as well. This year has seen far fewer duds and some near-classics.

Reports out of Denmark link the Whitecaps to Randers FC Goalkeeper David Ousted and that a move will happen when the summer transfer window opens.

Personally I like this move I think Ousted can help solidify our GK situation. If the move does happen I think both Knighton and Cannon could be traded thus creating possibly more cap space. Thomas can be backup and sign Sean Melvin as the 3rd keeper.

I think the overall effect of Ousted is still limited in fixing the 'caps problems as of late, so I would hope we would do more than just that.

Agreed. If we have Ousted, no need for Knighton or Cannon. This will force Thomas to put-up the goods to keep the #2, and yep, give some room for another young Canadian to be #3.

1- Ousted

2- Thomas

3 - Misiewicz??? He's got nothing going on at the moment anyway might be a good idea to come back to Canada and play here

Knighton 66k

Cannon 180k

Some significant savings on salary cap, not sure how much Ousted would be thou, Thomas and Misiewicz would be on minimum salary probably.

I think Knighton will stay at #2 and Thomas at #3. Knighton is very inexpensive compared to Joe. At 1/3rd the cost he is good to keep.

I can see that happening, but that will only last for this season. Knighton has expressed that he does not want to be a backup, so at the most he would finish the year as #2, so IMO I would see that as might as well and get Thomas the job now since he will be taking it next season.

Knighton's value is probably higher now than it would be at the offseason if he gets glued to the bench behind Ousted.

Misiewicz washed out of FC Edmonton pretty hard. I don't think MLS is his level.

I agree with that but maybe the Whitecaps could sign him, then send him on a LOAN somewhere @ USL Pro level get him some playing time there.

PS: It just shows in a way that we need more teams at a lower level in order to have young(23 is young...?) Canadians get some playing time. If there were a USL Pro team in Richmond I would buy season tickets in a heartbeat.

I think Knighton will stay at #2 and Thomas at #3. Knighton is very inexpensive compared to Joe. At 1/3rd the cost he is good to keep.

+1 Knighton is great and he can get even better still once the Defence is able to communicate with him properly

MLS Disciplinary Committee suspends and fines Whitecaps FC striker Kekuta Manneh

--- Will miss Wednesday's match against Chivas USA ---

NEW YORK, NY – The MLS Disciplinary Committee has suspended Vancouver Whitecaps FC striker Kekuta Manneh one game and fined him an undisclosed amount for a reckless challenge against New England Revolution goalkeeper Bobby Shuttleworth in the 75th minute of their June 15 game. Manneh received a yellow card on the play, and the Committee unanimously considered the challenge to be an unequivocal red card offense that endangered the safety of his opponent. Manneh will serve his suspension Wednesday, June 19, when Vancouver hosts Chivas USA at BC Place at 7 p.m. PT

--------- Now at BC Place they actually showed the replay from another angle where you could see the goalkeeper hasn't been touched. ---------

Well I really hope we win, forget a F.....ng Tie, what we NEED is a WIN. Rennie show that you aren't a one time wonder boy that got lucky. Because patience is wearing thin, sure the Whitecaps will have 11days to regenerate their strenght but The Whitecaps have to show that they can win Consistently not by fluke.

Do you have some sort of story? Misiewicz was very good for our u23's if memory serves.

For the U23 he was great, then he hit a brick wall ever since.

I don't recall everything but to make it short he wasn't able to be the #1 keeper for Edmonton, went to Poland ended up in a half season stint for a D3 Team facing Releguation. To make things worst he was the #2 keeper in that D3 team too.....never actually playing except in reserve games(that D3 team could be beaten by CSL Top teams)

The only thing I see for him is to build his experience at the USL Pro level for 1Full season

I can't believe Manneh was suspended for that. The card should of been rescinded.

It happened right in front of my seats, no way Manneh even touched him. If he had, Shuttleworth wouldn't of just rolled around like a baby he would of been off for stitches. You don't get clipped in the forehead with cleats and walk away without a mark.

I can't believe Manneh was suspended for that. The card should of been rescinded.

It happened right in front of my seats, no way Manneh even touched him. If he had, Shuttleworth wouldn't of just rolled around like a baby he would of been off for stitches. You don't get clipped in the forehead with cleats and walk away without a mark.

Maybe he did it on purpose, maybe he didn't. But the point is that there is no way of proving it either way so no suspension should have been given, just a question mark for if it happens again.

Whats happening with Caleb Clarke? He used to make the bench now seems to be really down in the depth chart.

The club wanted him to go out on loan. His dad, who is his agent, refused. Now it seems like he's been frozen out. He doesn't play in reserves or PDL either. Unfortunate, but seeing Huitema dominate the USSDA at a younger age and effectively go out on loan to Duke, probably makes Clarke redundant in Rennie's eyes. I think he was looking for more of a response, a la Teibert last season.

Archived