2013 Vancouver Whitecaps Roster Dance

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We need to slow down everyone and think Ferguson also did moves that weren't always popular......anyway we will see IF the Whitecaps have something up their sleeve. But if rumors are true and it's Kenny's last season, and say YP leaves at the end of the season....YIKES

DeMeritt 325 000$

Harvey 112 500$

Klazura 46 500$

Leveron 60 000$

Mitchell 46 500$ on Loan to EDMONTON

O'Brien 200 000$

Reo-Coker 200 000$

ROCHAT 190 000$

Rusin 120 000$

YP Lee 196 500$ Signed only till seasons end

Miller is @1 114 992$ and his contract ends at seasons end

We need to slow down everyone and think Ferguson also did moves that weren't always popular.

I don't know about Sir Alex Ferguson. I do know that this trade is mathematically stupid. Second-round MLS SuperDraft picks play on average fewer than eight games a season.

In MLS can a player say NO I don't wanna be traded, rather sit on the be h till seasons end and look for a job somewhere else?

I think some players have that right, mostly DP's. Still that league allows a player to be traded twice in the same year.

I think some players have that right, mostly DP's. Still that league allows a player to be traded twice in the same year.

Just DP's that's a MLS thing I guess. Because many times in Europe players refuse to be sent to another team just because. Many end up bein sent to a reserve squad and after a while there is a "mutual" split from the team.

I can't imagine living in Vancouver with wife and kids 1/3 season be shipped to DC then again say Houston. Nuts.

Collective Agreement issue? Or just simply the players agent should have put it in.

Just DP's that's a MLS thing I guess. Because many times in Europe players refuse to be sent to another team just because. Many end up bein sent to a reserve squad and after a while there is a "mutual" split from the team.

I can't imagine living in Vancouver with wife and kids 1/3 season be shipped to DC then again say Houston. Nuts.

Collective Agreement issue? Or just simply the players agent should have put it in.

A player signs with the MLS, not a club, that's the weird part about it.

except for the fact that it opens a new debate ie Gershon Koffie... Right now Teibert and Clarke are the only 2 players on the Caps roster with Canada listed as their nation, with a requirement for 3 on the roster that must mean Koffie has his residency and they're counting him now no?...

I'll tolerate Koffie a little more because he's shown signs he wants to play for Canada. But yes, it is a big debate, that's why I said as it relates to THIS player. Personally until Koffie has a full passport I don't think he should count either. Just sayin.

Rochat was my favourite Cap for most of season one and two but his play really did drop off this year, strange in the final year of a contract, when you often see the opposite. He's still young enough and relatively injury-free and fit to play another 4 or 5 years in this league, but it would have to be at an adapted position (CDM?) or in a formation that suits his strengths. He is the last of the pre-Rennie Europeans and maybe was a little undervalued/underutlilised.

Let's make one thing clear, though; Harvey is not an upgrade, no more than Klazura is a realistic fulltime RB next year as a replacement for Lee. I'm not sure Rennie will be here after the season is through, anyways. This club has high hopes and desperately needs a decent product in the next year or two or they will be branded a loser team by the famously fickle Vancouver crowd and media. Funny that I like Rennie's personality and way of going about the media, etc. I'm not that big of a fan of his managing, though, to be honest. Harvey for Miller when you are up by one goal with the game on the line really sums up his tenure, if you ask me.

Rochat was my favourite Cap for most of season one and two but his play really did drop off this year, strange in the final year of a contract, when you often see the opposite. He's still young enough and relatively injury-free and fit to play another 4 or 5 years in this league, but it would have to be at an adapted position (CDM?) or in a formation that suits his strengths. He is the last of the pre-Rennie Europeans and maybe was a little undervalued/underutlilised.

Let's make one thing clear, though; Harvey is not an upgrade, no more than Klazura is a realistic fulltime RB next year as a replacement for Lee. I'm not sure Rennie will be here after the season is through, anyways. This club has high hopes and desperately needs a decent product in the next year or two or they will be branded a loser team by the famously fickle Vancouver crowd and media. Funny that I like Rennie's personality and way of going about the media, etc. I'm not that big of a fan of his managing, though, to be honest. Harvey for Miller when you are up by one goal with the game on the line really sums up his tenure, if you ask me.

Correct me but I read somewhere that Klazura is quite focused of his studies. Not sure which he sees as a priority

We need to slow down everyone and think Ferguson also did moves that weren't always popular......anyway we will see IF the Whitecaps have something up their sleeve. But if rumors are true and it's Kenny's last season, and say YP leaves at the end of the season....YIKES

DeMeritt 325 000$

Harvey 112 500$

Klazura 46 500$

Leveron 60 000$

Mitchell 46 500$ on Loan to EDMONTON

O'Brien 200 000$

Reo-Coker 200 000$

ROCHAT 190 000$

Rusin 120 000$

YP Lee 196 500$ Signed only till seasons end

Miller is @1 114 992$ and his contract ends at seasons end

You are using Fergie as a reference to justify a move by Rennie and you also have think in the same sentence? And Fergie is relevant to this for what reason? Because like Rennie he is a Scottish manager, an attribute he also shares with Mo Johnston?

You are using Fergie as a reference to justify a move by Rennie and you also have think in the same sentence? And Fergie is relevant to this for what reason? Because like Rennie he is a Scottish manager, an attribute he also shares with Mo Johnston?

Let me rephrase it: give the son o a b.... A chance before we start hanging him, other famous managers also made moves unpopular at the time. Truth is I ain't his fan at all, FFS I started the thread about 12 being the magic number. They lost the Vcup, won against LA, NYRB and tied Timbers 7pts from a possible 9 not bad I will reserve my judgement After the NE Revolution game. Because I will be watching the next 2games live.

Lets keep in mind had Rennie won the Vcup his contract would have been extended by 1year automatically. Right now it is set to finish at season's end too just like a few of our players

http://m.whitecapsfc.com/news/2013/06/rennie-hints-future-moves

VANCOUVER, BC – Vancouver's decision to trade left back Alain Rochat to D.C. United on Thursday surprised many who follow the team, and observers throughout the league.

After all, for a minimal return of a second-round pick in the 2015 MLS SuperDraft, and a conditional pick in 2016, the Whitecaps traded away one of the league’s best in his position.

Or at least that’s the narrative floating around social media among fans and some pundits.

The reality is quite different. Rochat, as talented as he remains, was underperforming – certainly away from home.

This season, the Swiss-Canadian failed to match the high standards he set for himself in Vancouver’s first two years in MLS.

His performances on the road, lead to head coach Martin Rennie opting to play Jordan Harvey at left back in away situations in recent weeks, and pushed Rochat into midfield.

Following the trade’s announcement on Thursday, Rennie chose not to focus on Rochat play this season, he did, however, express confidence his team has the personnel to move on.

“Whenever you make a move, there’s lot of factors,” Rennie told reporters following a training session at the University of British Columbia. “We’ve got quite a number of players who can play left back and quite a number of players who can play a similar role in midfield.”

Harvey specifically looks to benefit the most from this move, having been the player to replace Rochat in road games or whenever his teammate has been otherwise unavailable.

“I’ve got confidence in him,” Rennie said of Harvey. “I think he’s proven himself to be an MLS starter … Jordan’s the man in possession right now.”

Rennie did hint, however, that the move could be a precursor to further moves in the weeks to come.

“It gives us flexibility,” Rennie said of freeing up a roster spot and some salary. “It gives us an opportunity to consider other options if that makes sense at the right time. The way it works in MLS, there is a salary cap. There’s lots of juggling of numbers and salaries and so on, and when you do make a move, it does open up opportunities to make other [moves] if you want to.”

I am one that sees Rennie's point, and don't hate the move, like a lot of others. But it's interesting that the mass negative reaction in social media actually forced a Whitecaps media response. Shows they are sensitive to social media. They did the right thing responding and explaining the move.

I don't like it. Rochat was and still is an excellent player. Who do they have someone planned for LB? We have depth at LB? A lot of players who can play there? Really? I thought Harvey was second to Rochat defensively and offensively. Who else are they talking about? I don't know of any on their squad currently who I'd trust at LB.

Sad.

I am one that sees Rennie's point, and don't hate the move, like a lot of others. But it's interesting that the mass negative reaction in social media actually forced a Whitecaps media response. Shows they are sensitive to social media. They did the right thing responding and explaining the move.

That wasn't the Whitecaps media office, that was Martin MacMahon, an MLSSoccer.com writer on the Whitecaps beat.

“Whenever you make a move, there’s lot of factors,” Rennie told reporters following a training session at the University of British Columbia. “We’ve got quite a number of players who can play left back and quite a number of players who can play a similar role in midfield.”

Harvey specifically looks to benefit the most from this move, having been the player to replace Rochat in road games or whenever his teammate has been otherwise unavailable.

“I’ve got confidence in him,” Rennie said of Harvey. “I think he’s proven himself to be an MLS starter … Jordan’s the man in possession right now.”

Rennie did hint, however, that the move could be a precursor to further moves in the weeks to come.

“It gives us flexibility,” Rennie said of freeing up a roster spot and some salary. “It gives us an opportunity to consider other options if that makes sense at the right time. The way it works in MLS, there is a salary cap. There’s lots of juggling of numbers and salaries and so on, and when you do make a move, it does open up opportunities to make other [moves] if you want to.”

I'm referring to Rennie's quotes, not the article. I know you should respond if asked a question, but all too often the response is no comment, and then there is no story.

Andy O'Brien is hurt. That's O'Brien, DeMerit, and Rusin all injured now. Bad luck, timing the Rochat trade in the same week as this. Luckily, many fans feel Leveron was always destined to be a Whitecaps starter, but I'm sure they didn't predict his backline partner to be Jordan Harvey at the start of the year :)

Still waiting for news on O'Brien of course, but as soon as he left the pitch, it was complete disarray. Let's hope the injury to O'Brien isn't serious. Otherwise what are their options? How much longer on the recoveries of Rusin or DeMerit? Do the Whitecaps trade Rochat just to have to acquire a central defender in an emergency situation? Or (and this is most likely) do we see Mitchell recalled from FC Edmonton for the near foreseeable future?

Andy O'Brien is hurt. That's O'Brien, DeMerit, and Rusin all injured now. Bad luck, timing the Rochat trade in the same week as this. Luckily, many fans feel Leveron was always destined to be a Whitecaps starter, but I'm sure they didn't predict his backline partner to be Jordan Harvey at the start of the year :)

Still waiting for news on O'Brien of course, but as soon as he left the pitch, it was complete disarray. Let's hope the injury to O'Brien isn't serious. Otherwise what are their options? How much longer on the recoveries of Rusin or DeMerit? Do the Whitecaps trade Rochat just to have to acquire a central defender in an emergency situation? Or (and this is most likely) do we see Mitchell recalled from FC Edmonton for the near foreseeable future?

Seeing OB go down made my heart sink. Harvey at CB was so depressing to watch, so if the injury is serious Caps are in trouble Mitchell should be on his now since we have only Clement now along with Leveron at CB.

Bad luck, timing the Rochat trade in the same week as this.

There was absolutely no luck involved with the timing of the Rochat trade. From a Vancouver perspective one would think/hope that they have something other planned signing that was behind it but they pulled the trigger full well knowing what the timing was and its possible consequences. And while it is no given that Rochat's presence would have got Vancouver a win or tie, it is pretty obvious it would have given them a much better chance of retaining the lead.

I find it really hard to watch Vancouver or even hope for them this year. I find myself turning on the game and initially hoping for them because they are Canadian but as the game goes on their playing style seems to turn me against them and by the end of the game I am hoping for the other team. I will admit that even as an Impact fan when I watch TFC this year they seem to play well and give and honest effort and be really unlucky and often undeserving of the bad results. I will even admit to feeling a bit of pity for them. However, whenever I watch Vancouver lose they seem fully deserving of the loss and when they win it often seems very lucky and due to a couple of nice plays against the general run of play. Watching Tiebert play well is about the only enjoyment I get out of a Caps game.

And the management situation is similar. I personally think that TFC has improved in its management in a lot of areas and it is just taking time to see some of the results. On the other side, the Rennie era is starting to move towards some of the mismanagement we have seen at TFC and again I don't think we have fully seen the results. I don't think it will get as bad as TFC but depending on what is done in the offseason I think an extended period as a lower mid-table team may be in the cards for the Caps.

There was absolutely no luck involved with the timing of the Rochat trade. From a Vancouver perspective one would think/hope that they have something other planned signing that was behind it but they pulled the trigger full well knowing what the timing was and its possible consequences. And while it is no given that Rochat's presence would have got Vancouver a win or tie, it is pretty obvious it would have given them a much better chance of retaining the lead.

I find it really hard to watch Vancouver or even hope for them this year. I find myself turning on the game and initially hoping for them because they are Canadian but as the game goes on their playing style seems to turn me against them and by the end of the game I am hoping for the other team. I will admit that even as an Impact fan when I watch TFC this year they seem to play well and give and honest effort and be really unlucky and often undeserving of the bad results. I will even admit to feeling a bit of pity for them. However, whenever I watch Vancouver lose they seem fully deserving of the loss and when they win it often seems very lucky and due to a couple of nice plays against the general run of play. Watching Tiebert play well is about the only enjoyment I get out of a Caps game.

And the management situation is similar. I personally think that TFC has improved in its management in a lot of areas and it is just taking time to see some of the results. On the other side, the Rennie era is starting to move towards some of the mismanagement we have seen at TFC and again I don't think we have fully seen the results. I don't think it will get as bad as TFC but depending on what is done in the offseason I think an extended period as a lower mid-table team may be in the cards for the Caps.

I surely do not watch as much Caps as most here, just what time differences allow, but I think your comments are valid. I personally think that just because MLS lets teams fiddle does not mean you should be constantly fiddling. Rennie is a fiddler as far as I can see: you have the pre-season to set out a starting 11 plus 4-5 subs, and you should go with what you have, not start goofing around after 4-5 games. If you have an injury you have to have someone waiting to fill in, someone who knows their chance has come. And go with that player. A coach has to believe in something and work on it, but the MLS option to trade, drop, add and fiddle tempts inexperienced coaches into being capricious, like kids at a smorgasbord. But that kind of coaching also has to have the backing of the club. In all successful world football you go with a core and work on it, endogamically, and only change it judiciously. A thirty game season should not have 8-9 phases, at most it should have 4-5.

To be fair, if Vancouver had Demerit healthy a good part of this debate would likely be forgotten--having quality central defenders is pretty important. The Caps were solid and tougher until he was injured last year. Especially when it came to what happens late in games, where we are very fragile. We give up late goals (and often score them, but less so). We could get into a big discussion about whether Rennie understands how to manage a team to manage a result (sorry to be ethnographic, but this is a classic weakness of British coaching in general, where teams are not induced to read the game they are playing).

Case in point: listening to Rennie and others whining about an "illegal pick" on the Mtl goal in the Voyageurs Cup was pathetic. His Caps have never been able to control a result late.

What we need at Caps are players who know they are fully responsible for doing their job and will be next week and the next. And a team that can adjust to game circumstances and not be so vulnerable to them (I could be talking about the national team here too). That is coaching and it can't be solved by fiddling.

Rennie and his personnel decisions are baffling.

This was a second round playoff team early last year that was readily overalled and made worse. I find it deeply ironic that Kenny Miller gets any credit, mainly for not being as bad as he was when he first got here. And what are all these USL guys still doing on the roster? To me they just look like Rennie's group of guys, otherwise they are crap.

I remember this time last year people were complaining that Martin Rennie wasn't fiddling enough. "You've got to rotate the squad, man!"

And I will go to my grave convinced that the team in the first half last year was garbage, just lucky garbage. Joe Cannon was stopping a higher percentage of the shots he faced than he ever had before or ever would again, and that was the only reason the Whitecaps got points.

Archived