The Toronto Star: TFC's hands tied by meddling MLS

Free kick

This is the problem with MLS. Of course they favour LA and New York, because having those teams win is what the league needs. Just like the NHL needs LA and New York, the NBA needs LA and New York, and MLB needs LA and New York. No one cares about Toronto, Kansas City, Colorado, Vancouver, except the fans in those cities. LA and New York appeal to the casual fan, and so the more they win the better for the league as a whole. And when the league as a whole runs every club, then this is what to expect.

But one player of any calibre does not fix a team. No doubt, Mellberg is a good player and would have been an upgrade, but what difference would he really have made? If you added Pique to Blackburn last season, are they automatically a mid-table team?

This article is just rehashing the summer. TFC have run themselves into the ground regardless of one signing that didn't happen. As for DeRo not being resigned, it was Winter who came out at the time of the deal saying DeRo didn't want to sign the deal.

I don't believe TFC or MLS when it comes to anything. Each one is just as bad as the other.

^ It's a convenient narrative that puts all the blame for the team's failures on Winter (gone) and the big bad MLS. And despite Mellberg's quality, I have my doubts that a guy closer to 40 than to 30 would be able to turn around a squad as abject as TFC on his own.

Mariner will surely be pleased to read this column.

And despite Mellberg's quality, I have my doubts that a guy closer to 40 than to 30 would be able to turn around a squad as abject as TFC on his own.

You might be right. In fact, i think you are right. But still, its not up to the league to make that decision. As long as the intent is to improve the club, the league should not be telling clubs who they can or cant sign if its done within the rules (ie.: league rules and collectively bargained rules) and it should not be making those decisions with an eye towards marketing. I think that is the point of the piece that everyone (except RJB) is missing here. The league is supposed to be competition, a competition amongst clubs in that league. And that competition also involves acquiring players.

This is the problem with MLS. Of course they favour LA and New York, because having those teams win is what the league needs. Just like the NHL needs LA and New York, the NBA needs LA and New York, and MLB needs LA and New York. No one cares about Toronto, Kansas City, Colorado, Vancouver, except the fans in those cities. LA and New York appeal to the casual fan, and so the more they win the better for the league as a whole. And when the league as a whole runs every club, then this is what to expect.

But one player of any calibre does not fix a team. No doubt, Mellberg is a good player and would have been an upgrade, but what difference would he really have made? If you added Pique to Blackburn last season, are they automatically a mid-table team?

You're correct in that these leagues like New York and LA winning. However, it's because those cities have big metro populations that reach a a huge amount of people. Casual fans from other cities are not going to tune in just because it's New York and LA. They'll tune in because those teams usually have big super stars playing for them.

Ya, definitely an article that makes MLSE look good..

How does it make sense that MLS blocked DeRo from having a DP contract so he asked for a trade to another MLS club? What? And now he gets over $1 mill per year apparently to play for DC but its only listed as 600k or something.

I am calling BS on this article. There may be some elements of truth in it but most of it just does not make any sense. TFC is not allowed to sign Mellberg but they let the Impact sign an even older and lesser known player to even more money in Di Vaio because he is a striker and Italian? And then we are allowed to shortly after sign Nesta who is also a defender and a year older than Mellberg and who will also be very expensive when the DP portion of his deal kicks in next year. And TFC is not allowed to do things because despite the large population base they are smaller than New York and LA yet Montreal with a bit above half the population of the Toronto metro can do what it wants? And the Caps in an even smaller market are allowed to splash 1.2 million on a career Scottish league/Championship player because he is a striker? And DeRo gets refused his requested salary by the league not TFC but requests a trade to a new team? None of this makes sense.

I am calling BS on this article. There may be some elements of truth in it but most of it just does not make any sense. TFC is not allowed to sign Mellberg but they let the Impact sign an even older and lesser known player to even more money in Di Vaio because he is a striker and Italian? And then we are allowed to shortly after sign Nesta who is also a defender and a year older than Mellberg and who will also be very expensive when the DP portion of his deal kicks in next year. And TFC is not allowed to do things because despite the large population base they are smaller than New York and LA yet Montreal with a bit above half the population of the Toronto metro can do what it wants? And the Caps in an even smaller market are allowed to splash 1.2 million on a career Scottish league/Championship player because he is a striker? And DeRo gets refused his requested salary by the league not TFC but requests a trade to a new team? None of this makes sense.

I agree with the general sentiment that this seems to be a 'woe is us' article, but the MLS has never had any issue with teams giving outright strikers DP contracts. I mean that article didn't even mention legendary TFC DP Mista who is the prime example of awful DP contracts.

Assuming the Mellberg part is true (which I believe is the one true part of this article as its been mentioned many times before), I think Nesta would have got approved since he did make 78 caps for a well-known NT of which there is a generally large ethnic population in Montreal.

I don't really buy the DeRo stuff since I figure it would've come out before, and I really, really don't buy the De Guzman part since TFC went right back out and signed another defensive mid in Frings afterwards.

I agree with the general sentiment that this seems to be a 'woe is us' article,ds.

He didnt say it was all the league's fault. He did say "However, SOME of it must also fall on an unlikely culprit — Major League Soccer itself." The key pieces to me is:

"“When the league talks with clubs about signing (designated players), about a significant amount of guaranteed money, they want to make sure the long-term health of the team and the league are taken into consideration,” said a league source, trying to summarize a philosophical position that might most charitably be called unusual.""

And

"" New York Red Bulls have three players making more than $3 million a year. Toronto FC has none. Nevertheless, the league felt $1.5 million a year for Mellberg represented too great an outlay.

One suspects two factors aside from the financial. As a Scandinavian, Mellberg appeals to none of the sizable ethnic minorities MLS covets as fans; and also the fact that he is a stoical defender rather than a zigzagging forward.""

-----

there is nothing there that hasnt been speculated on many times by anyone who follows the league. Its just that this is the first time that i have ever seen it printed in a mainstream media source with quotes from club or league officials.

TFC is not allowed to sign Mellberg but they let the Impact sign an even older and lesser known player to even more money in Di Vaio because he is a striker and Italian? .

How is DiVaio less known than Melberg? DiVaio is well known, off the top of my head i knew of the DiVaio more than Melberg. The point that he makes is that DP signing are all about marketing. Again, nothing there that we havent speculated on, but should marketing considerations trump trying to improve your team?

Sounds like a nice narrative for the club to sell in light of their own failures.

No ****. Ape the party line sort of stuff.

Interesting tid bits here and there to be sure but come on, Kelly, do you even read what you write?

The club was already nursing a grudge with MLS over the exit of Scarborough’s Dwayne De Rosario.

When De Rosario demanded a raise to seven-figure DP range in 2011, Toronto FC was willing. The league torpedoed that deal as well. In a fit of pique, De Rosario demanded a trade the club felt compelled to provide.

Really? Not the way I remember it. Quite the opposite actually. A whole lot of "MeRo" an "we've already raised his salary" and "don't compare him to The Guz 'cause that's an albatross left over from Trader Mo" sort of stuff.

MLS sunk the deal to make DDR a DP did they? If you say so, pal...

Mellberg I believe, though I think he would be a HUGE asset to MLS, but DDR? Nope.

The inside bits of information that float my way over the years indicate, in their totality, only one thing.

That the management, staff and players are about as mature as angry hormonally enraged teenage girls fighting over the same boy in high school.

If they spent more time running a club and less time lying and covering all the internal BS as they all back stab one another over grudges in the short and long term, this club might have a chance.

Some of the stuff that goes on makes Jersey Shore look good.

How is DiVaio less known than Melberg? DiVaio is well known, off the top of my head i knew of the DiVaio more than Melberg. The point that he makes is that DP signing are all about marketing. Again, nothing there that we havent speculated on, but should marketing considerations trump trying to improve your team?

Di Vaio has been a journeyman Serie A player who has played on a lot of mid-table teams with the occasional short stint at bigger clubs. His international experience is very limited and he played in only one Euro and no World Cups. Mellberg played much of his career as a star player for Aston Villa which while also a mid-table team is in the most covered and prominent league in the world. Plus he has played in 2 World Cups and 4 Euros and was one of the top Swedish players in these tournaments (and yes it is easier to make the Swedish team than the Italian but nevertheless I think Mellberg has been a much more prominent player. I also think he is a much better player than Di Vaio but that is beside the point).

That is all really moot anyway because my point is that neither Di Vaio or Mellberg or a large percentage of the other DPs in the league are really big names that draw a lot of fans. What I find hard to believe is the idea that the league is discriminating against TFC and not allowing them to sign certain DPs when a lot of other teams are allowed to sign similar DPs who are not fan draws and/or who are from countries that are not going to attract a lot of fans. And while it may be true that the league is favouring NY and LA (though to be fair a lot of big name players want to go there) there are a lot of other teams in markets similar to and smaller than TO that are able to sign DPs similar to Mellberg. I really find it hard to believe the league is the culprit here for the difficulties TFC had with Mellberg, DeRo or other players.

That is all really moot anyway because my point is that neither Di Vaio or Mellberg or a large percentage of the other DPs in the league are really big names that draw a lot of fans. What I find hard to believe is the idea that the league is discriminating against TFC and not allowing them to sign certain DPs when a lot of other teams are allowed to sign similar DPs who are not fan draws and/or who are from countries that are not going to attract a lot of fans. And while it may be true that the league is favouring NY and LA (though to be fair a lot of big name players want to go there) there are a lot of other teams in markets similar to and smaller than TO that are able to sign DPs similar to Mellberg. I really find it hard to believe the league is the culprit here for the difficulties TFC had with Mellberg, DeRo or other players.

I agree with you. And to add, Seattle and the league invested big in Ljungberg. Seattle seemed to do all right by that Scandinavian. Why would Mellberg be any different to the casual MLS supporter?

Not buying this conspiracy theory from Kelly.

Looks like he's joined the ranks of Duane Rollins and Kurt Larson. Defending the team because they don't want to lose their sources inside the club. But let's be honest here, this story is one side from the club trying to make people feel sorry for them. TFC FO are trying to deflect the blame. Blame MLS, not the inept TFC FO. BS!

This team is bad because the management is bad. Not because of interferences from MLS head office.

Besides, I'm happy TFC didn't get Mellberg. That rumoured contract was totally insane. Its like they never learn their lesson at TFC FO.

Even more laughable is Kelly's article today where he endorses Mariner as the man to turn TFC around.

It is truly unbelievable how blind and one-sided this "analysis" is from Cathal Kelly.

Here's my hack analysis on the last game of the season. Two teams struggling at the midway point of the season, both had big talk and bluster about how they were going to turn things around to salvage disappointing seasons. One team, in yellow, actually found two excellent players that made a difference in the rest of their season. They found goals, offensive creativity, and look promising to make the playoffs next year. One team, in red, tried to do the same thing, but didn't fare as well. Their signings weren't as good and they ended the season just like they started it. Rather than shine a light on how other non-red teams had done a better job improving their squads in comparison, they simply tried to change the narrative and have said "next season we're going to be a new team!"

sure you will....

This article is an insult to the supporter intelligence. It's nothing more than blame deflection away from the team management and onto MLS.

Its already been said here, but Melburg at $1.5 mil per year at 34 in this cap league is a really stupid move by TFC. They should just take the credit for not making the signing happen because it made more sense for TFC financially... Like the league said.

This is the end of the worst season in team history and I have yet to see a serious critique piece from the traditional media towards this team about what happened and its current direction. Are they all in the team's pocket?

If there is a story about how MLS has constrained TFC, it should be about how poorly of a job they have done in actually doing it. Wildly high ticket prices, disastrous manager choices, failure to put in a soccer-knowledgeable president of operations, and the list goes on. Mo Jo came with recommendation of MLS and Mariner had some sort of credibility in the league - two obvious failures-of-recommendation on the part of MLS.

Of course the problem ultimately lies with MLSE not MLS because the organization should not need to mediocre assistance of MLS nor would they have problems pushing the buttons that LAG and NYRB have access to if the organization at TFC was successful. If MLS is 'holding back' TFC in anyway it is because TFC is a disaster; certainly not: "TFC has solutions but MLS is preventing them".

Archived