Whitecaps 2012 Roster Dance

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No he isn't. He's a December '91.

Teibert, by MLS rules is a 20 year old because he is born in the '92 birth year. Someone born in Dec. 1985 is considered a 27 year old etc. etc. Do not confuse the age posted on a teams website, these are the regulations put in place to figure out who is allowed to count as an off-budget player under lower than on-budget minimum wages, or what would have been called the development roster previously.

Teibert, by MLS rules is a 20 year old because he is born in the '92 birth year. Someone born in Dec. 1985 is considered a 27 year old etc. etc. Do not confuse the age posted on a teams website, these are the regulations put in place to figure out who is allowed to count as an off-budget player under lower than on-budget minimum wages, or what would have been called the development roster previously.

So we're talking about roster rules? I thought we were talking about player development, not bureaucracy. My apologies.

We were, then you got all technical with your Dec. '91 fail post.

There's no doubt my typing was a failure. But when you say, in the context of player development, "Teibert [. . .] is 20 years old for the 2012 MLS season" even though he will not be 20 years old for the entirety of the 2012 MLS season, I felt obliged to correct you. Then you came back talking about roster rules rather than players. After all, in player development terms Teibert is far closer to an early '93 than most '92s.

After all, in player development terms Teibert is far closer to an early '93 than most '92s.

You lost me at this point. This is blasphemy, Canadian Soccer Jesus is much closer in development terms to other 92's than a '93. Please hand in your frock as you are leaving the church Father Massey.

You lost me at this point. This is blasphemy, Canadian Soccer Jesus is much closer in development terms to other 92's than a '93. Please hand in your frock as you are leaving the church Father Massey.

100%, if anything Teibert is closer to a 91 or even a 90 in terms of development.. even the way he thinks and manages a game he's much smarter and more mature than players his age. Henry is only a few months younger than Teibert and we saw how his inexperience may have cost us an Olympic spot with the late draw to Cuba, Teibert on the other hand looked like one of our veterans out there even though he is just a few weeks from being eligible for the next cycle.

Yes, you absolutely have to build for the future. The only problem with the "MLSE Kool-Aid" as you put it, is that they wanted everyone to believe that you have to sacrifice today in the meantime. You can develop future stars WHILE staying successful on the pitch during the year. And that IS what english clubs do. Not one or the other. Both.

You were making sense until you mentioned English clubs. Replace English with German or Dutch and you have a very good point.

You were making sense until you mentioned English clubs. Replace English with German or Dutch and you have a very good point.

Depends on the tier and club I guess...arguments could be made both ways, depending, but yeah I see what you mean overall.

Am I the only one who finds it strange that one of the headlines on the Whitecaps homepage is news of Carl Robinson's retirement?

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/news/2012/07/robinson

No it's not just you. I thought "he played last when?" as I read that headline. He was a coach and never had a roster spot that I can think of. Slow news day and needed something and he may have just made it official.

Looks like JMD has some young boots behind him now, Botafogo's Tiago Ulisses. Don't know a lot about him, but seems like a positive signing. Nice to see a non-ex-Championship player added to the squad.

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/news/2012/08/brazilian-ulisses-adds-bite-midfield

For me it's not so much where he came from, but his age. 23 years old is far better than another 30+ player. So they've signed a younger player, hopefully we can add the prefix Canadian to their next young player signing.

For me it's not so much where he came from, but his age. 23 years old is far better than another 30+ player. So they've signed a younger player, hopefully we can add the prefix Canadian to their next young player signing.

Yes, after all my complaining about the signing of guys who will likely only be here for a season or two, I think is a brilliant signing.

Ben Massey sheds some important light on the O'Brien signing:

"Safe to say all of us Leeds United fans are delighted O'Brien has gone. Big wages for our team, terrible player and ageing. Sad to see him suffer from depression but he never did anything for us. He was once taken off during a game against a team two divisions below us for playing that bad at centre-back and we were winning.

Having said that, and no offence the MLS should be easier for him in more than one way. The MLS is growing no doubt about it but the level over here is much better. He has a chance now to live in a beautiful country, and start again! He has bags of experience, and an old head for those around him. If he can position himself properly then he may make an impact."

Thomas Hill, manager of SB Nation's Leeds United blog Through It All Together, was nice enough to provide his thoughts on new

Vancouver Whitecaps defender Andy O'Brien.

As you can see, it's not exactly a rave review.

http://www.sbnation.com/users/Benjamin%20Massey/blog

(So along with Lensky that's two guys now with clinical depression around the squad - better hope it's a sunny September in Vancouver)

Yes, after all my complaining about the signing of guys who will likely only be here for a season or two, I think is a brilliant signing.

Good signing. Wouldn't be surprised if he was referred by former IMFC coach Marc Dos Santos who works for Palmeiras. Dos Santos is also a very good friend of Rennie's.

“A friend of mine coaches in Brazil and he knows him,” Vancouver head coach Rennie told MLSsoccer.com after a training session at Burnaby Lake Field on Friday. “We’ve had a few people who have seen him play. We’ve watched him a lot in terms of watching 90-minute games and things like that. He comes from a really good club and he’s done well in the last couple of years in Brazil. He wanted to get the chance to come out and we’re glad to give him that chance.”

http://vancouversouthsiders.ca/forum/discussion/1717/marc-dos-santos-to-join-caps-coaching-staff/p1

Seems like Dos Santos had a hand in it. Tiago seems like an aggressive player, who isn't afraid to go in cleats first. From the small sample size of highlights of him he has good composure on the ball, with some fancy feet for a deep lying midfielder. Plays with his head up when the ball is at his feet; good vision looking to move the ball forward.

Archived