Whitecaps 2012 Roster Dance

2012 MLS Roster limits

MLS Roster Limits: 30 Total; 20 Senior 10 Homegrown/Developmental (players 24 and younger)

Domestic players: Unlimited (includes Americans and at least 3 Canadians)

International Players: 11 (8 for all MLS teams, 2 obtained in Trade)

MLS Roster [25/30] Total spots used (17/20 Senior spots used, 8/10 Off Budget spots used)

Domestic [16/--] (minimum 3 Canadians)

1. Bryce Alderson (CAN)*

2. Caleb Clarke (CAN)*

3. Russel Tiebert (CAN)*

4. Matt Watson (ENG/USA)

5. Dane Richards (JAM/USA)

6. Jun Marques Davidson (JPN/USA)

7. Atiba Harris (SKN/USA)

8. Alain Rochat (SUI/CAN)

9. Joe Cannon (USA)

10. Jay DeMerit (USA) - C

11. Jordan Harvey (USA)

12. Greg Klazura (USA)*

13. Brad Knighton (USA)

14. Michael Nanchoff (USA)*

15. Omar Salgado (USA)*

16. John Thorrington (USA)

International [9/11]

1. Martin Bonjour (ARG)

2. Camilo (BRA)

3. Gershon Koffie (GHA)

4. Andy O'Brien (IRL)

5. Darren Mattocks (JAM)*

6. Lee Young-Pyo (KOR)

7. Kenny Miller (SCO) - DP

8. Barry Robson (SCO) - DP

9. Carlyle Mitchell (TRI)*

DP - Designated Player (335k charged to Cap)

* - Homegrown/Developmental

C - Captain

Transfers as of 07/11/11

IN

Nov. 17, 2011 Bryce Alderson (Canada, Whitecaps Residency)

Dec. 06, 2011 Lee Young-Pyo (Saudi Arabia, Al-Hilal)

Dec. 15, 2011 Lee Nguyen (Vietnam, Becamex Binh Duong F.C.)

Dec. 16, 2011 Matt Watson (United States, Carolina RailHawks)

Jan. 06, 2012 Martín Bonjour (Uruguay, Rampla Juniors)

Jan. 12, 2012 Darren Mattocks (United States, University of Akron)

Jan. 17, 2012 Brad Knighton (United States, Carolina RailHawks)

Jan. 19, 2012 Jun Marques Davidson (Japan, Tokushima Vortis)

Jan. 31, 2012 Sebastien Le Toux (United States, Philadelphia Union)

Feb. 16, 2012 Barry Robson (England, Middlesbrough FC)

Feb. 22, 2012 Greg Klazura (United States, University of Notre Dame)

Feb. 28, 2012 Etienne Barbara (United States, Carolina RailHawks)

Mar. 06, 2012 Floyd Franks (United States, Carolina RailHawks)

Apr. 24, 2012 Caleb Clarke (Canada, Whitecaps Residency)

Jul. 13, 2012 Dane Richards (United States, New York RedBulls)

Jul. 16, 2012 Kenny Miller (Wales, Cardiff City)

Aug. 01, 2012, Andy O'Brien (England, Leeds United)

Aug. 03, 2012, Tiago Ulisses (Brazil, Botafogo FC)

OUT

Nov. 07, 2011 Alexandre Morfaw (Free Agent)

Nov. 23, 2011 Jeb Brovsky (Canada, Montreal Impact)

Nov. 23, 2011 Nizar Khalfan (United States, Philadelphia Union)

Nov. 23, 2011 Bilal Duckett (United States, Harrisburg City Islanders)

Nov. 30, 2011 Shea Salinas (United States, San Jose Earthquakes)

Dec. 05, 2011 Jay Nolly (United States, Chicago Fire)

Dec. 29, 2011 Greg Janicki (United States, San Antonio Scorpions FC)

Dec. 29, 2011 Jonathan Leathers (Free Agent)

Dec. 29, 2011 Peter Vagenas (United States, Chivas USA)

Jan. 20, 2012 Philippe Davies (United States, Richmond Kickers)

Jan. 20, 2012 Mustapha Jarju (Belgium, RAEC Mons)

Mar. 01, 2012 Lee Nguyen (United States, New England Revolution)

Jun. 22, 2012 Michael Boxall (New Zealand, Wellington Phoenix FC)

Jun. 28, 2012 Floyd Franks (United States, Carolina RailHawks)

Jun. 28, 2012 Long Tan (United States, D.C. United)

Jul. 11, 2012 Davide Chiumiento (Switzerland, FC Zurich)

Jul. 13, 2012 Sebastian Le Toux (United States, New York RedBulls)

Jul. 20, 2012 Eric Hassli (Canada, Toronto FC)

Nov. 8, 2012 Brian Sylvestre (Free Agent)

Nov. 8, 2012 Tiago Ulisses (Free Agent)

Nov. 8, 2012 Etienne Barbara (Free Agent)

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Predictions moving forward:

- Jarju either gets released or traded for whatever we can get to a team like SJ, who's theoretically far enough under the cap that they can take a risk on his. Personally, I'd like to see him get shopped for another international spot.

- This frees up space for Etianne Barbara to sign

- For the players picked in the drafted Estridge is signed, with maybe +1 other... ~2 residency kids get the call to fill the other spots.

- At least one spot is left open after training came to allow roster flexibility

- Side note: I really hope Mattocks and Watson can get their immigration sorted out, so that we don't have to drop anyone... if that's not the case Boxall is the first one out the door.

- Also with 7 Forwards on the books someone might have to draw the shortest straw... Tan? Unfortunately with the addition of Mattocks he might be obsolete. We could perhaps use him in a winner role as well, but we're not exactly short on wide players either.

My two cents!

Caps acquire INT spot and a draft pick from Colorado for Allocation money

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/news/2012/01/whitecaps-fc-acquire-international-roster-spot-and-draft-pick-colorado-allocation-money

They also add two new coaches

Carl Robinson – Whitecaps FC assistant coach

- Over a decade of playing experience in England’s top two divisions

- Five years of playing experience in Major League Soccer

- Former Welsh international with 52 caps

- Currently working on a UEFA Coaching Licence

Jake DeClute – Whitecaps FC assistant coach and scouting coordinator

- Captained his college team to a national championship

- Over a decade of college coaching experience in the United States

- Professional coaching experience in North America’s second, third, and fourth tier

- Holds a UEFA ‘B’ Coaching Licence and currently working towards a UEFA ‘A’ Coaching Licence

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/news/2012/01/whitecaps-fc-solidify-mls-coaching-staff

and the big news No More JARJU, released, along with Phillipe Davies.

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/news/2012/01/jarju-and-davies-move

2 days of pre-season in the books. Lots of competition from the looks of it.

Bilial Ducket is back, on trial, as one of the familiar faces that were a surprise.

The new players looked good from what I took in. DeMerit looks 100% healthy which is the best thing to come from the first two days IMO.

Bonjour is a towering individual as well, listed at 6'3'' but seemed taller. I can't wait to see him in game action.

It's also nice to see 6 Canadians in camp hopefully one or more will be added to the full roster.

Players remaining in camp on trial

Caleb Clarke CAN (Residency)

Callum Irving CAN (Residency)

Victor Turcios (SLV) (on loan from CD Aguila)

Patrick Cregg (IRL)

Etienne Barbara MLT (MLS Discovery aquired by trade with MTL Impact for Gienir Garcia)

Bilal Duckett USA (On Trial)

Chris Estridge USA (Superdraft pick)

Greg Kalzura USA (MLS Supplemental Draft pick)

Andrew Fontien USA (MLS Supplemental Draft pick)

Anyone can confirm this would be great. Havent heard of anyone else joining them in Arizona, but could be some new ones I have missed.

Those are the names I have heard.

So out of these trialists there is room for 2 senior (int'l) and 2 Domestic signings.

Domestic: My guess - Clarke and Irving return to USSDA but play significant PDL and reserve team roles, thus opening up a spot for Estridge and one of Kalzura or Fontien.

International: No clue! Pure guess. They'll sign Barbara (based on what they had to give up to get him) plus Turcios.

Cuts: Basically Cregg, Duckett, Kalzura/Fontien (one of) plus Clarke and Irving return to reserves/youth.

All up in the air of course because the side has too many forwards!!!

^Also, Koffie is not homegrown and can't be on DEV roster because he makes too much.

There were rumours about Tan getting a new contract, but if that never happened, he has one more year left.

2-3 DEV spots should be good news for the residency guys, although Esteridge will take one, Kluzura could take one, and Turcios is still eligible depending on his pay grade.

• 2 weeks later...

It's not my comment but both the player and the league look absolutely terrible in that video. Looks like semi-pro CSL level of play. And his highlight video contains such highlights like him totally missing passes and aerial balls and then running back and getting the ball that he should have got the first time.

Koffie played at a lower level than this and is, depending on who you talk to, somewhere between quite good and excellent at the MLS level.

That may well be but I suspect Koffie looked like one of the better players when playing where he was. The level of the league here looks very poor and from the video Suley does not appear to be a particularly good player at that level. The Ghana league may have some good players despite the overall poor level of play but that video does not lead me to believe that Suley is one of them.

Edit: Out of curiosity I looked up the league website and Suley's team is one of the poorer teams in the league, in 13th place of a 16 team league: http://www.ghanafa.org/premierleague/

That may well be but I suspect Koffie looked like one of the better players when playing where he was. The level of the league here looks very poor and from the video Suley does not appear to be a particularly good player at that level. The Ghana league may have some good players despite the overall poor level of play but that video does not lead me to believe that Suley is one of them.

One source says he's 19, the other 23. If he's 23, I probably agree with you. Say what you want about the quality of the Ghanian League, it's heavily scouted. If he's 19, he could be gem. Who knows. Reports from training say he looked pretty good today.

One source says he's 19, the other 23. If he's 23, I probably agree with you. Say what you want about the quality of the Ghanian League, it's heavily scouted. If he's 19, he could be gem. Who knows. Reports from training say he looked pretty good today.

Is it really heavily scouted? From what I know of African football it is the youth leagues that are really heavily scouted. Most of the really good African players are already in Europe by their mid to late teens.

Even at 19 I do not see the physical attributes in his play of a good football. His speed is ok but he seems to have very poor balance, no sense of positioning, a poor shot/pass, really nothing very impressive that you can say he is a diamond in the rough. Yes it is just a trial, but does not seem to be a very serious one.

Is it really heavily scouted? From what I know of African football it is the youth leagues that are really heavily scouted. Most of the really good African players are already in Europe by their mid to late teens.

Even at 19 I do not see the physical attributes in his play of a good football. His speed is ok but he seems to have very poor balance, no sense of positioning, a poor shot/pass, really nothing very impressive that you can say he is a diamond in the rough. Yes it is just a trial, but does not seem to be a very serious one.

Asamoah Gyan and Kwadwo Asamoah both played professionally in Ghana with Liberty. As did John Pantsil. Prince Tagoe played for Hearts of Oak. Vorsah and Tony Annan also played professionally in Ghana. All left around the age of 19.

Asamoah Gyan and Kwadwo Asamoah both played professionally in Ghana with Liberty. As did John Pantsil. Prince Tagoe played for Hearts of Oak. Vorsah and Tony Annan also played professionally in Ghana. All left around the age of 19.

Yes and how does that vary from what I posted? These guys all left between at age 18 or 19, ie. late teens and most of them did not even reach 20 games played in Ghanian top division before transferring out. They were all probably scouted first well before they played in the premier division while on their teams youth sides. And even still these would be considered late bloomers or guys who fell through the cracks. Countries like Ghana have tons of European scouts in the country and they are for the most part not watching the premier leagues but the youth teams and often even village teams trying to find the diamonds in the rough who will make them a lot of money in transfer fee commissions. It may be surprising to see how poor the Ghanian league is when their national team is quite good but there are hundreds of Ghanian players transferring to Europe at a young age. The ones who do not realize their potential still mostly stick around playing for lower division clubs instead of returning to play in Ghana.

None of that would really matter though if the guy looked like a talented player. He could play in a really poor league but if he looked talented I would say why not give him a chance. However, in that video the league looks shockingly bad and he looks like a shockingly bad player.

Archived