Whitecaps 2012 Roster Dance

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is Rennie's job safe if the Whitecaps fail to make the playoffs?

Yes. Lenarduzzi was on radio yesterday stating that the goal for this season was to "challenge" for the playoffs and be in the race till the end of the season. With 4 games remaining, he's improved 10 points over last season, with 7 of those coming away from home. I suspect we'll finish in 5th with 45 points, which would be a pretty huge turn around in 12 months.

yeah, Rennie should be extended as soon as the year is over. He's a coach on the rise. Despite the tough run of late. he did a great job re-tooling this team when his hand was forced by LeToux and Davide.

As for Robson he needs to keep making passes, and hopefully his attitude gets better, as I totally agree his antics on the field is so frustrating just play the game.

We should be a lock for the Play-In round, Knighton has looked solid, and if Koffie can stay healthy. Miller and Robson build on last game. Tiebert needs to get healthy too so he can relieve Camilo on the LW as I can't watch Camilo continue trying to beat guys 1on1 when guys are right there for the easy lateral feed. I've been hugely impressed with Rochat as well that guy is very underrated in the MLS. Lee, Bonjour and DeMerit need to step it up from last few games, getting way too exposed.

yeah, Rennie should be extended as soon as the year is over. He's a coach on the rise. Despite the tough run of late. he did a great job re-tooling this team when his hand was forced by LeToux and Davide.

As for Robson he needs to keep making passes, and hopefully his attitude gets better, as I totally agree his antics on the field is so frustrating just play the game.

We should be a lock for the Play-In round, Knighton has looked solid, and if Koffie can stay healthy. Miller and Robson build on last game. Tiebert needs to get healthy too so he can relieve Camilo on the LW as I can't watch Camilo continue trying to beat guys 1on1 when guys are right there for the easy lateral feed. I've been hugely impressed with Rochat as well that guy is very underrated in the MLS. Lee, Bonjour and DeMerit need to step it up from last few games, getting way too exposed.

I hope we keep Martin as he is a very good coach and has turned last place to playoff contender. He will have to do some hard choices in the off season and decide if we will continue with route one football or go back to more control. I hope it is the latter because the former is not a winning formula.

I don't know how much his hand was "forced" by LeToux and DC. I haven't heard anything about LeToux asking for a trade. His 2 way work rate is missed. Rennie wanted Robson and Miller so that may have enabled DC to be sold. He grossly underestimated the loss of DC would have on our midfield. He will learn from that and hopefully get some creative mids before next year.

"A lock for the play in round"? Hardly. A month ago yea but now it is a dogfight with Dallas and they have all the tie breaks, play Chivas twice to our once. We need 11 points (Dallas losing or us getting them) to make the playoffs. 4 games left for both teams. We haven't managed to beat teams below us like Portland, Dallas or Colorado home or away so don't count on any "home field advantage".

Dallas are at Earthquakes, at Chivas, at Seattle and home vs Chivas

Caps are home vs Seattle, vs Chivas, vs Portland and at RSL.

Dallas are hot and we're not. Count on them beating Chivas twice and drawing one of the others. They will give up 5 or 6 points so we need 7 to be sure. Beat Chivas & Portland + one draw could get us there but nothing is a given.

Yes Rochat rocks at LB or play making deep mid but don't put him at CB. It is a waste and seems to be his worst position.

I am still scratching my head on the transfers that have ocurred. Can't blame DC for leaving to Zurich. He was a fantastic player for this league and hardly recognized. Skill is still superior to speed and some coaches just don't get it. As for Robson he is becoming a Cancer in the Caps. After I saw him argue with Jay DeMerit in the middle of the match of his second appearance I new he was going to be a problem.

correction... Caps beat Colorado home and away. 1-0 each game.

Let me rephrase "we haven't beaten teams below us in the last 6 weeks". Early in the year we did manage to beat Colorado H&A. Recently against teams below us we have 1 point out of 12. Dallas we lost home & away, Portland we lost away and Colorado we drew at home. In the misery loves company Seattle are on a slide so we are not alone in our late season woes and they are our next opponent, nay victim!!!

Robson's demonstrativeness/tantrums are the problem? He was hands-down the best player on the pitch v. Colorado.

Demerit on the other hand...was solid and serviceable, until Colorado drew level 2-2. Demerit's behaviour afterward was totally unacceptable. Hands on hips, head down, shoulders slumped. He had no interest in winning that game at that point. As a captain he should be inspiring and leading the team. He had his own style tantrum - quitting on the game. Absolutely ridiculous and he should be canned in the off-season for another Bonjour-type. Demerit clearly has himself ahead of the team (90 minutes in the ASG, silent tantrum last night)......embarrassing.

Robson's demonstrativeness/tantrums are the problem? He was hands-down the best player on the pitch v. Colorado.

Demerit on the other hand...was solid and serviceable, until Colorado drew level 2-2. Demerit's behaviour afterward was totally unacceptable. Hands on hips, head down, shoulders slumped. He had no interest in winning that game at that point. As a captain he should be inspiring and leading the team. He had his own style tantrum - quitting on the game. Absolutely ridiculous and he should be canned in the off-season for another Bonjour-type. Demerit clearly has himself ahead of the team (90 minutes in the ASG, silent tantrum last night)......embarrassing.

I never liked Demerit, always felt he wasn't as good as billed, but how can you see Robson's behavior as a non-issue? When Robson isn’t bitching at the ref he is yelling at a teammate. While he did have a good game against Colorado, Robson has complained too much and did too little on the pitch in his time as a cap. I think these personalities don’t mesh and I wouldn’t mind seeing Demerit, Robson and Miller gone at the end of the year.

I think Davide Chiumiento is missed more than for his on field play, I always got the feeling he was a well liked member of the team.

I never liked Demerit, always felt he wasn't as good as billed, but how can you see Robson's behavior as a non-issue? When Robson isn’t bitching at the ref he is yelling at a teammate. While he did have a good game against Colorado, Robson has complained too much and did too little on the pitch in his time as a cap. I think these personalities don’t mesh and I wouldn’t mind seeing Demerit, Robson and Miller gone at the end of the year.

I think Davide Chiumiento is missed more than for his on field play, I always got the feeling he was a well liked member of the team.

Chiumiento is a hot dog, fun to watch and a fan favourite who can pull off magic once in a while but on the whole he probably isn't such a positive influence. If there wasn't a salary cap he'd be good to keep around for a different option off the bench but if you want to be competitive I think the money would be better spent somewhere else. FWIW I don't think the replacements are the right ones and their nationality probably played a part unfortunately.

Chiumiento is a hot dog, fun to watch and a fan favourite who can pull off magic once in a while but on the whole he probably isn't such a positive influence. If there wasn't a salary cap he'd be good to keep around for a different option off the bench but if you want to be competitive I think the money would be better spent somewhere else. FWIW I don't think the replacements are the right ones and their nationality probably played a part unfortunately.

While I agree with the last part about the replacements I strongly disagree with the part about DC. This year he played 2 way soccer and was very effective defensively. He also was the only midfielder who could pull the other teams' players out of position with his diagonal forward runs. If you are dribbling back towards your own goal why not just pass it back? Robson seems to have gotten over that bad habit but still is very one dimensional.

Since DC left we are now just a long ball team hoping our forwards can get on the end of. Very low percentage and ineffective not to mention just dreadful to watch. Hopefully there will be some off season changes after we make the playoffs. I hope that Rennie is too smart to not learn from his mistakes and correct them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

U-15 player Sigue Aymar heads to Vancouver Whitecaps FC Residency from FC Edmonton.

"Aymar has accepted an offer to join the Whitecaps' residency program and we are not standing in his way," said FCE general manager Tom Leip. "We would have offered him a second amateur contact but he decided to join the Whitecaps instead and we support his decision whole-heartedly."

U-15 player Sigue Aymar heads to Vancouver Whitecaps FC Residency from FC Edmonton.

"Aymar has accepted an offer to join the Whitecaps' residency program and we are not standing in his way," said FCE general manager Tom Leip. "We would have offered him a second amateur contact but he decided to join the Whitecaps instead and we support his decision whole-heartedly."

This is what it is going to take to make Canadian soccer better, less barriers and more avenues. God bless FCE and Tom Fath for caring about the development of Canadian talent.

This is what it is going to take to make Canadian soccer better, less barriers and more avenues. God bless FCE and Tom Fath for caring about the development of Canadian talent.

Thank you FCE and the Fath's! Even as a Calgary resident I must say I'm very impressed. I may have to come up for a game or two just as my way of saying thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

So after 2 seasons (and recently purchasing my own season tickets for the first time #Caps2013) here's how I see the team for the offseason at first glance, i can be easily swayed though (in some cases)

First I think Rennie should stay. He might of had a bad 2nd half, but he did have an amazing first half and reached the set goals that were set by the consensus around the Whitecaps top to bottom even the fans: making the playoffs. He has a lot to improve upon, but that's not a bad thing because he is a young coach learning and you learn best by mistakes.

Players to Keep

Alderson

Clarke

Tiebert

Watson

Rochat

Harvey

Knighton

Bonjour

O'Brien

Koffie

Mattocks

Players on the Fence

DeMerit (sorta wanted to keep had a good year, but could also be good trade bait to an Am. MLS club)

Davidson (was effective when he played, but then sorta fell off the map during the 2nd half of the season)

Mitchell (no chance to play, but has some upside and youth on his side)

Thorrington (workhorse, but can't stay healthy)

Salgado (tough to say, still really young, lots to work with)

Lee (might retire?)

Cannon (retirement?)

Ulisses (no info on him really yet to make a choice)

Sylvestre (for a 3rd keeper he's decent enough, but is he needed or could he be upgraded sorta in the air)

Players to Promote

Fisk

McKendry

Melvin

(outside of fisk i don't have a lot of insight on the residency/pdl program if someone else wants to bring some better insight to the players who should be promoted that would be great)

Players to Move

Richards (signed in england)

Robson

Miller

Harris

Camilo

Klazura

Barbara

Nanchoff

Whats everyone else's thought's

I really think if Rennie stays his system needs a big strong target man that can hold the ball up and create. We were way to soft up front, with Miller, Robson, Richards, Mattocks, Camilo rotating, no size no strength no will.

I'm a lot more cautious about turning over as many players as you. Of course all players will have to earn their spot in the starting 11 with excellent performances in training camp, inter squad games, reserves etc. It is a given that anyone can lose their spot when someone better comes along.

On a team with very limited scoring you want to get rid of the second best scorer Camilo? Even when he had been playing out of position most of the year he got 5 goals and 7 assists. I know he has problems dribbling into coverage and losing the ball but he is one of the only finesse players on the team.

I also keep the young and inexpensive players because they could still get better and are cheap to keep around.

Our team got where is did this year with a total team defense and counter strategy with a 4-5-1 formation. We really can't be letting any of our defenders go unless we have someone better. That back 6 (counting keeper and DM) were absolutely the reason we improved so much. We have 3 excellent CBs and 1 reserve. Our RB might retire and I'm sure you, myself and every Caps fan out there is hoping YP Lee plays one more year. We can't count on it so we need Klazura on the roster. If Rochat stays at DM then we need Harvey.

We have no creative mid since Davide left and that is our biggest hole to fill. Having Rochat play DM is good because his passes out of our defensive third are very swift and accurate. We still need a creative player from mid to attacking third. Someone who can run forward diagonally with the ball trying to pull defenders out of position and exploiting it with passes when they do. Someone who knows when to pass and when to dribble and has great vision.

I'm not against big strong target forwards like a Gbeke or Hassli. They can be very effective but I don't think it is essential. It could be Salgado you are looking for. Mattocks is our best forward with Camilo second so I don't see us getting another big forward unless we find an inexpensive but quality one.

Keep

Alderson, Camilo, Clarke, Salgado, Tiebert, Watson, Rochat, Harvey, Knighton, Bonjour, O'Brien, Koffie, Mattocks, Lee, Ulisses, DeMerit, Davidson, Mitchell, Sylvestre, Klazura, Barbara, Nanchoff

Move

Richards (Already gone), Robson, Miller, Harris, Thorrington, Cannon

I am on the fence with Camilo. I like him as a player and I think he brings a lot to the club, but I am not sure if he fits into Rennie's tactics. I am leaning towards keep.

I think he needs one more year. For a guy who supposedly never passes or looks for his teammates, he had 8 assists. He's statistically one of the more productive forwards over the past 2 season. If Kenny Miller had his stats, we'd all be saying he was a great buy. As frustrating as Camilo can be to watch, I think he needs minutes paired with Mattocks next season. If Rennie continues with his 4-1-2-1-2, this works. Even if he goes back to 4-2-3-1, I think he can play attacking mid if you have midfielders behind capable of distributing the ball and he gets a little more savvy taking on defenders.

Keep

Alderson, Camilo, Clarke, Salgado, Tiebert, Watson, Rochat, Harvey, Knighton, Bonjour, O'Brien, Koffie, Mattocks, Lee, Ulisses, DeMerit, Davidson, Mitchell, Sylvestre, Klazura, Barbara, Nanchoff

Move

Richards (Already gone), Robson, Miller, Harris, Thorrington, Cannon

That's a cautious list which is probably for the best right now. I completely understand how your talking about the back end and keeping them in tact till you find better (if).

Archived