Whitecaps 2012 Roster Dance

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would be nice for the Caps, to get some depth in Defense, we are way to thin there.

We have so few defenders viturally only 5 of them in Lee, Bonjour, Demerit, Rochat and Harvey. As Mitchell and Klazura aren't looking to be getting any chances anytime soon.

I think we are pretty set up front right now, if Harris and Salgado can come back healthy, added to Miller, Camilo, Mattocks, and offense we will get from the Midfield now with Robson and Richards. Not to mention Koffie's odd runs from the deep lying midfield.

Davidson, Thorrington and Watson along with Nano and RT, should provide solid cover for them as well.

that's not even mentioning the possiblities of the youngsters making an impact in Clarke, Alderson, and possibly Fisk soon.

We will get a good look at what Knighton can bring, in lack of Cannon against RSL. Will be interesting what happens at GK after Cannon retires or I guess how's he's going you can still use 'If'.

But Defense always looks to be the Thinnest and most dire need of depth, the good play of them this year has overshadowed the fact its the same 5 guys every night, a long term injury or loss of form could undo the entire back 4 since there's virtually only one adjustment we can make.

Ah yes... Early, mid, late... It's all the same.

There was talk related to this article and Tuesday was mentioned specifically. Thought that link was better than 'I heard from this guy who....'

Anyways its 3.15, so I doubt its happening today anyways.

But Defense always looks to be the Thinnest and most dire need of depth, the good play of them this year has overshadowed the fact its the same 5 guys every night, a long term injury or loss of form could undo the entire back 4 since there's virtually only one adjustment we can make.

Let's get Attakora ;)

Nana would be a good choice, he's athletic and good in the air, versatile too.

He turned down a contract from Union Berlin last I heard.

Vancouver Whitecaps FC announced today the acquisition of centre back Andy O’Brien from English League Championship side Leeds United AFC - pending receipt of his International Transfer Certificate and Visa. Per Major League Soccer and club policy, terms of the contract were not disclosed.

“Andy is an experienced centre half, who is good in the air and comfortable on the ball,” said Whitecaps FC head coach Martin Rennie. “He has spent several years in the English Premier League and with some of England’s best-known clubs. Andy also had the privilege of being at a World Cup. We’re delighted to add a defender of Andy’s experience to our squad.”

O’Brien, 33, comes to Whitecaps FC after spending a decade-and-a-half playing in England. The 6-foot-3, 165-pound centre back spent the last two seasons with Leeds United AFC, where he scored two goals in 38 appearances for the West Yorkshire outfit.

“I’m very grateful for the opportunity given to me by Vancouver Whitecaps FC,” said O’Brien. “I appreciate the hard work that’s been put in by Vancouver, given the short period of time there was to get this deal done. I’ve had the opportunity to look around the city, which is fantastic, and I’m really looking forward to contributing on and off the pitch.”

Colour me underwhelmed. But I hope to be proven wrong.

Starting to think Coach Rennie only picks players he watched on TV growing up.

I agree on underwhelmed but let's hope he's as good or better than current CBs. He does have the pedigree despite being out of the game this past year.

As for Rennie, he does have assistants who have played with/against the signings. He is signing within his comfort zone though. According to that rumour as well, there will be a South American too... So maybe he's stretching his boundaries.

I'm sure that thought brings some measure of comfort to you TO guys. ;-)

Not really, if he was building for the future he'd likely be signing young Canadian kids from the Academy and giving them a shot instead of sitting them on the bench or in the press box...

Not really, if he was building for the future he'd likely be signing young Canadian kids from the Academy and giving them a shot instead of sitting them on the bench or in the press box...

Only a TFC fan drinking the MLSE kool-aid would think you need to "build for the future" in MLS. If your manager is telling you that he's probably named Aron Winter.

Gary Smith, who had a much more extensive resume in the UK, won the MLS Cup and could only get a small club in League One. I don't think Rennie would settle for this. And MLS is still aways from Premier League clubs putting any stock in achievements here. The most likely scenario is that he replaces Clough at Derby due to the Mallet cross ownership -though I'd assume Clough would have to leave of his own accord, probably following a Derby promotion.

With regard to O'Brien, we don't really have any young CBs now that Stanese is going to NCAA. Jackson Farmer is barely 16. Carlyle Mitchell is the one hurt by this, though if O'Brien plays really well, I can see DeMerit being moved on.

Only a TFC fan drinking the MLSE kool-aid would think you need to "build for the future" in MLS. If your manager is telling you that he's probably named Aron Winter.

If you don't think you need to build for the future then you will be in for a big surprise in about 5 years time when the homegrown rule allows those who embrace it to flourish. Sure, you can fill up on international mercenaries year after year and try to win just like English clubs do, but it will eventually bite you in the ass when clubs with top Academies are reaping the benefits of the new rules. Enjoy following NCAA soccer to track your top prospects.

If you don't think you need to build for the future then you will be in for a big surprise in about 5 years time when the homegrown rule allows those who embrace it to flourish. Sure, you can fill up on international mercenaries year after year and try to win just like English clubs do, but it will eventually bite you in the ass when clubs with top Academies are reaping the benefits of the new rules. Enjoy following NCAA soccer to track your top prospects.

Below is a list of U20 players from Ligue 1, 2011/12, showing their club, their age, and the number of minutes they played. French football is generally regarded as one of the top producers of quality players in the world. And yet in the top flight, there's less than one Bryce Alderson/Russell Teibert/Caleb Clarke age player per side. (15 in total). There is an inverse relationship between these clubs and where they finished in the table. SM Caen and AJ Auxerre were relegated. FC Lorient, next to bottom. The remainder are mid-table finishers at best. So if one of the best developmental systems in the world is only blooding less than one youth player per club, per season, why is the future MLS going to operate differently?

My guess is that TFC will develop a Doneil Henry or an Ashton Morgan every year until they have 11 or more of these players. Great. So assuming none of them move-on and all are contractually content, what happens to the class of 2000, when TFC is at the top of the table? How do these kids get opportunities? Will the manager pull an Aron Winter and start an 18 year-old who's never played professionally at striker in the opening game of the 2021 MLS season? Just to get him some experience? I'd argue this is very unlikely. The manager will play his top eleven and try to win the matches in front of him. If you're lucky, you'll have a guy like Sigi Schmidt who can make the odd line-up surprise without people jumping down his neck because he's earned some respect. MR isn't quite there yet.

If we had 11 Canadians who could perform as well as the 11 guys he's starting now, I'm sure the manager would be more than happy to play them (though they'd bitch about contracts, travel, the pitch, etc. so maybe he wouldn't). Asking him to be crap for six seasons while young kids get put into impossible situations for their "development" runs contrary to the way every other league/club in the world operates. It's simply not the way to build a successful club.

M'Baye Niang, SM Caen, 16 1042

Kurt Zouma, AS Saint-Étienne, 16 1475

Lenny Nangis, SM Caen, 17 571

Adama Ba, Stade Brest 29, 17 135

Serge Aurier, FC Toulouse,18 782

Yaya Sanogo, AJ Auxerre 18 284

Massadio Haidara AS Nancy-Lorraine 18 1674

Lucas Digne, OSC Lille, 18 1204

Vincent Aboubakar FC Valenciennes 19 2229

Jordan Ayew Olympique Marseille, 19 1693

Joel Campbell, FC Lorient, 19 1176

Adrien Regattin FC Toulouse, 19 1158

Nicolas Isimat-Mirin FC Valenciennes 19 2889

Amadou Soukouna FC Toulouse, 19 124

Gianni Bruno OSC Lille, 19 118

Yes, you absolutely have to build for the future. The only problem with the "MLSE Kool-Aid" as you put it, is that they wanted everyone to believe that you have to sacrifice today in the meantime. You can develop future stars WHILE staying successful on the pitch during the year. And that IS what english clubs do. Not one or the other. Both.

Below is a list of U20 players from Ligue 1, 2011/12, showing their club, their age, and the number of minutes they played. French football is generally regarded as one of the top producers of quality players in the world. And yet in the top flight, there's less than one Bryce Alderson/Russell Teibert/Caleb Clarke age player per side. (15 in total). There is an inverse relationship between these clubs and where they finished in the table. SM Caen and AJ Auxerre were relegated. FC Lorient, next to bottom. The remainder are mid-table finishers at best. So if one of the best developmental systems in the world is only blooding less than one youth player per club, per season, why is the future MLS going to operate differently?

My guess is that TFC will develop a Doneil Henry or an Ashton Morgan every year until they have 11 or more of these players. Great. So assuming none of them move-on and all are contractually content, what happens to the class of 2000, when TFC is at the top of the table? How do these kids get opportunities? Will the manager pull an Aron Winter and start an 18 year-old who's never played professionally at striker in the opening game of the 2021 MLS season? Just to get him some experience? I'd argue this is very unlikely. The manager will play his top eleven and try to win the matches in front of him. If you're lucky, you'll have a guy like Sigi Schmidt who can make the odd line-up surprise without people jumping down his neck because he's earned some respect. MR isn't quite there yet.

If we had 11 Canadians who could perform as well as the 11 guys he's starting now, I'm sure the manager would be more than happy to play them (though they'd bitch about contracts, travel, the pitch, etc. so maybe he wouldn't). Asking him to be crap for six seasons while young kids get put into impossible situations for their "development" runs contrary to the way every other league/club in the world operates. It's simply not the way to build a successful club.

Not sure where you're getting your stats from or how you're filtering them? There are a number of 91's that you missed from your list, and i assume the '91 birth year is what you are using since Isimat-Mirin is a '91 and you're making a comparison to Teibert who is 20 years old for the 2012 MLS season. Hazard, Lacazette, Kakuta, Grenier to name a few are 91's that you missed with significant minutes and viewed as top prospects. Actually, the more i look the more kids are simply missing despite having logged minutes such as Rivieyran, Meite, Rachid, Jeannot, Mayi, Saadi, Nery, Bakambu, Lopy, Bahoken, Bahebeck, Foulquier, Jebbour, Novillo, Benzia, Delort, Missilou, etc. and that's not even counting all the guys who got less than 100 minutes.

You guys can do what you want, but to defend not even giving a blue chip 20 year old prospect a 5 or 10 minute run out once in a while is ridiculous. Most Ligue 1 clubs do it at least a few times per season, it's what keeps a kid hungry.

edit: madmonte nailed it, Winters' problem wasn't building for the future it was that he was compromising the present. And by compromising the present i mean he didn't know how to win in MLS, you have to keep it simple and he was trying to play like Arsenal with average personnel.

Archived