Whitecaps 2012 Roster Dance

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well TFC certainly has a tried and true model for making the playoffs so I'd expect you'd know what you're talking about. Although the table seems to suggest that perhaps Martin Rennie knows what he's doing.

I just think its a lot of roster turnover in the middle of a season. Particularly among key players. Its going to take a few weeks for the new team to gel.

I think the only thing keeping Vancouver in the playoffs is that I don't foresee a run from any of the teams below.

I just think its a lot of roster turnover in the middle of a season. Particularly among key players. Its going to take a few weeks for the new team to gel.

I think the only thing keeping Vancouver in the playoffs is that I don't foresee a run from any of the teams below.

It was either move these guys now while we had available replacements, or wait till the season is over and let them walk and possibly have no one to step in for them.

DC and LT wanted DP extensions while Hassli had just played himself out of the system and was being paid boatloads.

and on Lensky, is he really a 'traitor' yet? most seem to be happy to welcome a guy like JDG2 back if he ever decides to come back. Lensky is the same boat, Czech still has not Cap tied him.

I thought you had to have a senior cap

Article 18 of the FIFA Statutes states:

If a Player has more than one nationality, or if a Player acquires a new nationality, or if a Player is eligible to play for several representative teams due to nationality, he may, only once, request to change the Association for which he is eligible to play international matches to the Association of another country of which he holds nationality, subject to the following conditions:

(A) He has not played a match (either in full or in part) in an official competition at “A” international level for his current Association, and at the time of his first full or partial appearance in an international match in an official competition for his current Association, he already had the nationality of the representative team for which he wishes to play.

(B) He is not permitted to play for his new Association in any competition in which he has already played for his previous Association.

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/generic/01/29/85/71/fifastatuten2010_e.pdf

The rule is clear that you can switch nationalities once. Subsection A referring to an “A” international level applied to Lensky the first time he switched, he could become Czech because he hadn’t played an at “A” international level game for Canada.

Quite frankly, how can anyone justify this move if it happens? I have tickets for the game Sunday and the game in Seattle in August, if Lensky is on the team it’s the last game I attend until he is off the roster. Not only that, the caps will have two fake Canadians helping us meet the pathetic quota.

The match against LA on Wednesday, though it ended in a shambles, was the most dynamic attacking match we've ever played. We had the worng players and were succeding in spite of it. We took points we didn't deserve. These changes are necessary to move the club forward.

That's what we kept telling ourselves while we went 0-9-0.

Eric Hassli had nothing but praise for his time in Vancouver, but the French forward took issue Saturday with the way Whitecaps coach Martin Rennie handled the trade with Toronto.

“I understand the choice,” said Hassli. “The only thing is the way they took to tell me was just disrespectful. No class, I think. Just 15 seconds on the phone, like, ‘You’ve been traded. I wish you the best.’

“Just speak man-to-man. But I wish all the best to the club, really.”

Hassli trained with the team on Friday morning and learned of his fate later that afternoon via a brief phone call with Rennie. Hassli lives in Langley and Rennie said the trade wasn’t finalized until after practice when it didn’t make sense to try and tell Hassli face-to-face.

Hassli didn’t buy that explanation.

“It seems like they think I’m crazy and I’m going to make big trouble in the locker-room or something,” Hassli said. “I think I’m a nice guy. Maybe crazy on the field, yes, but I’ve never had a problem with anybody.”

Moving on...

Any bets on how long before Ben McKendry and/or Ben Fisk get first team contracts?? Callum Irving going to university and as a GK I can see them not signing him until he's a bit older....There's also Daniel Stanese to consider as well. All 4 could get snapped-up through the draft in MLS if the Caps aren't careful (eventually).

I mean there was no end to the number of TFC fans who would talk about what amazing attacking football we were playing while we continually fell behind on flukes, gave up leads, and sat in last place for almost a third of the season.

Ah, gotcha.

I guess the difference -having watched many of those 9 games for TFC- is that the Caps backline/back 6 has been very solid all season. Bonjour and DeMerit are usually good for one horror show moment per match, but Cannon has bailed them out time and again. And the emergence of Jun Marques Davidson as a deep lying midfielder has given us a Torsten Frings like presence defensively. He's very composed and very sound technically. He's actually starting to pass the ball at longer range with pretty impressive accuracy. With Y.P. Lee and Rochat as fullbacks, we've been fairly successful building from the back and handling the opposition coming forward.

The problem, even when Chiumiento was on his game, was a lack of presence in the midfield. Koffie is great but he struggles from time to time, particularly when forced to cover all the ground in the middle park. With Robson coming in, we have a true box-to-box presence who looks to compliment Koffie very well. The LA game was the first time we've seen what they can do together and it was awesome. If Rochat had been around to mark Beckham, I think we'd have taken all three points.

Part Hassli's struggle here was lack of service and inability to create for himself. I don't think Kenny Miller will have this problem and his runs should open up space for Camilo/Mattocks. I'm really looking forward to what we can put together today against the league leaders. In any event, I applaud these moves because Rennie is not f-ing around, resting on his success. He clearly has a plan and you can see it being executed.

Russel played in the reserves match yesterday -which I attended- and he looked great in the first half playing LM, and then faded as he tends to do. Also, James Farenhorst started at CB, while Gagandeep Dosanj, Bobby Jhutty, and Alex Marello came in as subs. Perhaps the most interesting player was Kianz Froese Gonzalez, who is still 16. He started, playing the #10 role, and did quite well despite botching a few first half chances. He scored a pretty goal in the second, dribbling past the half of the Chivas team. He played PDL, but has never been part of the Residency set-up. I'm not sure what this means, but my guess he's either going to be signing in Germany shortly, or he may even get a developmental deal with the Caps.

Russel played in the reserves match yesterday -which I attended- and he looked great in the first half playing LM, and then faded as he tends to do. Also, James Farenhorst started at CB, while Gagandeep Dosanj, Bobby Jhutty, and Alex Marello came in as subs. Perhaps the most interesting player was Kianz Froese Gonzalez, who is still 16. He started, playing the #10 role, and did quite well despite botching a few first half chances. He scored a pretty goal in the second, dribbling past the half of the Chivas team. He played PDL, but has never been part of the Residency set-up. I'm not sure what this means, but my guess he's either going to be signing in Germany shortly, or he may even get a developmental deal with the Caps.

What are their chances of making the first team? I would be ecstatic if one of them does. Not only will the Caps have more Canadians on the first team, but the team will have Canadians of my ethnic background. How f*cking awesome will that be? We'll eventually become to Canadian soccer what German born Turks are to German soccer. lulz, minus playing for the mother country ofcourse.

Not too sure. Both those guys can play, no doubt about it. I would guess they'd have USL Pro or lower division German opportunities if they want to go that way. Donsanj still has at least a year left at UBC, so I expect he'll head back. Jhutty is two years younger and already played in Europe, so he may look there again. Not too sure. Hundal is also in the mix, though he has 3 years left at U. Vic, iirc. He might be the best prospect because I think he's retained his NCAA Div. 1 eligibility and could probably transfer.

I don't think Jhutty is anywhere near MLS standard. Dosanjh might get there someday but has a lot to learn as a two-way midfielder. Farenhorst interests me, as does Marello (though he's a pro already). But this is where we need a U-23 league which runs longer than USL PDL.

When are the new Whitecaps signings going to be announced. Both Lennerduzi and Rennie said they'd be surprised if they didn't have new signings to announce by the end of the week.

Rumour has it that they will announce a new signing tomorrow (Tues).

Archived