Whitecaps 2012 Roster Dance

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks like you can put the Bocanegra rumours to rest.

Ives Galarcep‏@SoccerByIvesUnion sign Soumare after swinging deal with Whitecaps for top allocation spot #DOOP http://bit.ly/LlGSC7

Should we assume then that Caps are now at the bottom of this allocation list? In which case they might have sold the chance to sign Bacanegra (or another potential impact player) for 100 K.

The Bocanegra rumour has been often repeated but was never particularly convincing given that the source says Vancouver Rapids manager Willie Rennie is making a move for Carlos. This transaction may have been decided some time ago in the LeToux trade. FWIW, I can't see Bocanegra coming here without DeMerit and I can't see us releasing Bonjour, yet one of those two things would have to happen from a cap/squad perspective. The real winner here may be Daniel Stanese, fingers crossed.

Should we assume then that Caps are now at the bottom of this allocation list? In which case they might have sold the chance to sign Bacanegra (or another potential impact player) for 100 K.

The Caps also got the Unions 1st round pick next year which has the potential to be very high.

Honestly, if Boca wants to come back to the US and wants to only play for the Whitecaps, it'll happen. Just look at the likes of McBride and Johnson.

Essentially, the Whitecaps have insurance should no one come through the allocation system that they don't like. Excellent insurance at that. Presently it would be the 2nd overall pick in the next draft.

That Union pick could be very valuable - if they get another Mattocks. But it's a crap shoot....that 3rd round pick also has potential too don't it? Some good players to be had in the draft the only problem with the draft is who the teams have been picking. Honestly, they've been selecting guys like Klazura more often then they select guys like Plata or Hall (off top of my head). Bright technical players, with the athleticism requirements should always be the priority - not just these "hard working kids" like Klazura (and every team has many of draft picks like this).

These kinds of signings and drafts really are what is holding the league back. I mean you honestly want guys like Beckham, Henry etc to sign in the league but then you want draft picks like that not only in the same squad but also expected to set these stars up and meet their performance levels? Ain't gonna happen.

I read an article on one of the soon to be graduating residency players today.

http://www.richmond-news.com/sports/Milwaukee+school+next+chapter+Richmond+soccer+standout/6881138/story.html

He's only be in the residency for two years (like most of his teammates. Just wait until some of these current kids who are 12 years old get to be 18 or 19 after spending 7 years in the whitecaps set up. What a difference it will be for the Canadian MLS teams and our national program.

I read an article on one of the soon to be graduating residency players today.

http://www.richmond-news.com/sports/Milwaukee+school+next+chapter+Richmond+soccer+standout/6881138/story.html

He's only be in the residency for two years (like most of his teammates. Just wait until some of these current kids who are 12 years old get to be 18 or 19 after spending 7 years in the whitecaps set up. What a difference it will be for the Canadian MLS teams and our national program.

Right. I'm sure I've made it clear in previous posts that I'm high on what Canadian MLS teams are starting to do with their youth teams as well. That Academy show on GolTV is pretty fun to watch because of that. Guys like Brody Huitema who I believe was highlighted on Canadian Soccer News here not that long ago may turn out to be the real deal for sure.

• 2 weeks later...
Big Week for the Caps, Davide and Le Toux gone and Dane Richards enters.

Have a feeling more is to come from this week of moves.

Anyone know if Richards is Domestic, I assume he might be since he started playing in the USA in 2003 for Clemson?

The article on the front page has him as Jamaican, but I'm not sure...

I'm done with this talk about Le Toux and Richards. More excited to talk about who this supposed big signing is. Louis Saha is available on a free, same with Michael Owen. Any other names pop out? I guess Ballack is still available isn't he?

I'm done with this talk about Le Toux and Richards. More excited to talk about who this supposed big signing is. Louis Saha is available on a free, same with Michael Owen. Any other names pop out? I guess Ballack is still available isn't he?

Sam, Vancouver doesn't have the same pull as NY or LA. I doubt Vancouver will ever sign a 'sexy' name player like a Ballack or Owen. Louis Saha could be a realistic DP signing but the cost to acquire him (salary and DP slot) would far outweigh what he could bring to the table in my opinion. Mattocks is scoring like a madman at a far lower cost. If Robson starts to come through (been average at best so far) and Richards performs well for us, I think the caps offensive problems are in the past. They have the pieces to be a good offensive team, but they haven’t been fitting together all season.

Most likley not Ballack, it's been a Forward rumored, and another Midfielder isn't what we need.

I am quite excited to find out who it could be.

Mohammed Zidan's name could be thrown into the mix I suppose, outside chance Markus Rosenberg.

Who else is contractless?

Sam, Vancouver doesn't have the same pull as NY or LA. I doubt Vancouver will ever sign a 'sexy' name player like a Ballack or Owen. \.

Thing is NY don't want Ballack, LA have 3 DPs already, and Ballack has stated he'd like a move to MLS. Not to say I'd like to see Ballack at Whitecaps because I think we have enough cover in that position, but I'm just saying. LA and NY can't have everyone, and Vancouver is far more sexy than a Columbus, Chivas, Dallas, Denver or most other MLS cities.

Archived