Canada roster for Greece friendly

jonovision

Glad to here Klukowski isn't just being shoved out of the picture, but hope everything is okay with him.

How many times have you seen Pacheco play? For his club side he has hardly played this season but when he did get a start I heard he is more of an offensive midfielder.

I've only seen Pacheco play the one game everyone else on here saw him play. But he did well winning the ball and moving it forward. The guy may play as an "attacking midfielder" for his club, but we need someone protecting the back four, based on what I know about him he is the best candidate in the absence of Dunfield, Bernier and De Guzman

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Glad to here Klukowski isn't just being shoved out of the picture, but hope everything is okay with him.

I've only seen Pacheco play the one game everyone else on here saw him play. But he did well winning the ball and moving it forward. The guy may play as an "attacking midfielder" for his club, but we need someone protecting the back four, based on what I know about him he is the best candidate in the absence of Dunfield, Bernier and De Guzman

I'd go with Will Johnson who is a strong tackler and has played the role for his club side and vs. Montreal I liked his defensive side, if not Ledgerwood or Hutchinson could play that role. I don't think Pacheco should start this match, he's a 2nd division Portugese player who hasn't even been starting idk something just seems weird. I'd put Peters higher on the CM depth chart than Pacheco right now.

According to Gerry Dobson on twitter, McKenna has already been declared out for this match. Attakora or Cann to fill in. I hope this means more of a chance to see Edgar.

I hope it's Nana who gets the call. I want to see him in game action with the Nats to see if he is a player for the future or a future bench warmer.

I'd go with Will Johnson who is a strong tackler and has played the role for his club side and vs. Montreal I liked his defensive side, if not Ledgerwood or Hutchinson could play that role. I don't think Pacheco should start this match, he's a 2nd division Portugese player who hasn't even been starting idk something just seems weird. I'd put Peters higher on the CM depth chart than Pacheco right now.

Against Montreal and every time he's played with the national team Johnson has been more a inside right player than a straight defensive midfielder. Ledgerwood would be the other main option IMO if you don't want to play Pacheco. Hutchinson played so well going forward with Simpson in the last game I wouldn't want to see him being "underused" as a defensive midfielder. I agree Pacheco is not going to be a normal starter come the Gold Cup and WCQ, but neither is Ledgerwood. Hopefully we won't have a situation in the future where we are missing all three of Bernier, De Guzman and Dunfield again. So it's tough to chose who to slot in there, I just think Pacheco provides the best short term solution based on who's been called up.

Only one of those 4 is a true CM: Hutchinson.

DeJong is mostly used at LB at the club level or LM.

DeRo isn't a true offensive mid. He's better used coming from the wing.

Ricketts isn't a CM from all I know. I think he's a forward or a winger.

DeJong would most likely slot in as the "defensive" midfielder, but he's got speed and a good shot on him.

Ricketts has been listed by the CSA as a Midfielder, but he normally strikes.

De Rosario isn't really a winger, he has always preferred the LCAM spot, or number ten role just behind the forwards.

DeJong would most likely slot in as the "defensive" midfielder, but he's got speed and a good shot on him.

Ricketts has been listed by the CSA as a Midfielder, but he normally strikes.

De Rosario isn't really a winger, he has always preferred the LCAM spot, or number ten role just behind the forwards.

Yes De Ro prefers to play as an attacking midfielder/#10, but he is better as a winger or forward

He's not nearly good enough to play as a #10 on the international stage

My gut instincts tell me that if DeRo is there, he'll be starting, and if he's starting, he'll be in an attacking mid role, with Johnson and Hutchinson in support, Simpson on the left and Jackson on the right, with either Occean or Friend up top. Granted, I've been wrong many times in the past so maybe this is just another wrong guess!

Hope none of our preseason MNT guys gets crocked up with a long term injury

Hi all.

Via a media conference call today, CMNT Head Coach Stephen Hart spoke candidly about a number of topics related to the match against Greece and the National Team in general:

On the fact that he will only will have the players in for only one training session and the match while in Greece:

I think the way I am looking at it is that it is an international game against a very tough team who will be playing at home. So you hope that the players get some experience out of the game, playing against players of a different sort of quality. These short exhibition dates are always difficult for Canadian teams. In the end, it is important to play the games and what you get out of it in terms of experience and competition is invaluable.

On players not being available for the Greece match:

There were a couple of players whose schedules really didn't fit in. They were playing late on Sunday or had games on Monday. We just had to deal with that the best we could and we got most of the players that we wanted in. And, outside of injuries, I'm comfortable with the squad.

On the challenges the team will face playing against Greece:

Greece is not an opponent we will be playing on a regular basis. What we do when we go into these types of games is that we have been telling the players that it is more important to do the things that we do as a team and that we do well as a team. Of course, you go into the game to play to win and get a result, but it's more important how we play, how we approach the game, how we manage the game and that those sorts of building blocks are the most important things for us.

On Blackburn Rovers forward Junior Hoilett:

I did (reach out to him for this game) but it is the same story. He just says please give him some time. It's the same situation. I have been after him for every outing that we have had and that is no secret. I think he would acknowledge that as well. I'll keep knocking on the door. I can't answer that (whether he will join the team at some point). That decision is entirely up to him. I have extended my hand and he knows exactly how we feel about having him onboard.

On the fact that other CONCACAF rivals have been playing a lot of recent matches:

It's what our situation is. We are trying to play as many games as possible. We don't have the luxury of the Caribbean Cup or a Latin American tournament like they just completed. The only situation available to us is the Gold Cup and then outside of that we have been trying to play on all of the International dates where possible. They have the luxury of those extra tournaments and it helps with their rankings and their team building. But when you go to coach Canada you know that is the sort of situation you are going to be in.

On the few MLS Players being selected for this match and the fact that MLS players are in preseason meant he tried to select as few as possible:

Yes, of course. I spoke to some of the players and told them that it was most likely that they wouldn't be invited in and they understood the situation. I did have to call in a few MLS players based on positional needs. I would much prefer that they get into their preseason and get themselves into match shape. But they answered the call and that's most important thing.

On Paul Stalteri:

I did speak with Paul at length about his situation and what he is trying to do. In the discussion, I told him that I wouldn't be bringing him in for this game and he understands the situation completely. He has not been playing and he's trying to rectify his situation. Once he gets playing again we will keep an on eye on him to see how he is progressing.

On his starting eleven for Greece:

I have an idea what the starting eleven will be but we still have games that will be played today and on the weekend. And I don't know who will end up calling us - like what just happened with Kevin McKenna (who had to pull out of the Greece match at the last minute due to injury).

On Ali Gerba:

I spoke to Ali a while back and did speak to his club. As I said, my intention was to not bring in players from MLS or NASL or USL. I'm usually in good communication with Ali and his preseason will start soon and I'll get a chance to see him.

On the absence of Mike Klukowski:

It's probably best that you speak with Mike. He has some personal issues and it doesn't really allow him to travel very far from home for any length of time. We have spoken at length and hopefully he will be okay and that situation will be resolved soon.

On selecting Simeon Jackson for the Greece match and not selecting Iain Hume:

As you know, Simeon has been filling in on the right side with the National Team. Iain's primary playing position is up front just behind the striker and we felt that we needed somebody in the wide right position. It's as simple as that.

Full article:

http://www.rednationonline.ca/Hart_names_roster_for_Greece_friendly_february_3_11_article.shtml

I'd like to see a starting XI of

---------------Lars

Straith--Jakovic--Edgar--DeJong <------------This literally could be the 4 guys we should look at together for the future.

------------Pacheo

--------Hutch----Johnson

Jackson-------------------Simpson

-------------Occean

This is the most interesting proposed line up in this thread so far, IMO. I'd love to see McKenna playing as a defensive midfielder since there's not a real defensive midfielder in the roster and he already played in that position for his club. Too bad he won't be able for the friendly.

Let's throw a wrinkle into that:

------------ Hirschfeld

Ledgerwood -- Straith -- Edgar -- DeJong

------------- Jakovic

------ Hutch -------- Johnson

Jackson ------------------ Simpson

--------------- Occean / Friend

Whats with this Edgar fascination? I really don't get how someone who has NEVER in their pro career been a regular member of an XI deserves a start? Straith has been pro for a bit over a year now and he has almost as many matches as edgar. I'm a huge Edgar supporter but I just don't think it would be smart to start a guy in his position vs. Greece in his first international match.

^ To add to this, why are so many penciling in Straith ahead of Peters at RB?

Peters has played a ton of minutes for Ipswich at RB this season, whereas Straith sees spot duty. I do think Straith is naturally a better defender than Peters, but if Hart is truly going with club playing time as a gauge for national duty, then Peters gets the call, IMO.

^ To add to this, why are so many penciling in Straith ahead of Peters at RB?

Peters has played a ton of minutes for Ipswich at RB this season, whereas Straith sees spot duty. I do think Straith is naturally a better defender than Peters, but if Hart is truly going with club playing time as a gauge for national duty, then Peters gets the call, IMO.

Agreed but for this match the issue might be at center back now with McKenna out. Assuming Jakovic is starting, who do we pair with him.. Straith, Edgar or Attakora/Cann? My votes gotta go to Straith even though as you mentioned he hasn't played in forever at least he got some exhibition matches in a week or two ago and has played for us.

I agree with this, plus Jakovic Straith is the same center back pairing as Ukraine and with one training session it may be best to go what you know works. That said I would be dissapointed if Edgar doesn't get in at some point. I don't think anyone mentioned the idea of him getting minutes as defensive mid?

On second thought though, Straith may play right back after all, and Edgar might slot into the starting 11. I fear Peters may get caught on a Greek counter.

Interesting interview with Hart! One thing I really don't get is him not calling Hume because he doesn't fit into the lineup he is going to play! If he is playing behind the striker(s) with PNE then who is a better option than him for Canada right now? I suppose Hutch would be if that's the role Hart will play him in, both DeRo and Johnson are in pre-season training! Hume is maybe a better option than Jackson right now in the right wing position, I just think he should have been given a call! There was some speculation that Hume asked not to be called because of his club situation and if Hart had called him and not played him at all it would have been a waste!

I'll put on the Kreskin glasses and predict Hart's starters:

--------------------Hirschfeld-------------------

Peters------Jakovic------Straith-------De Jong

------Johnson--------DeRo------Hutchinson----

-----Jackson--------Friend--------Simpson-----

That is a solid lineup, with McKenna missing I think Straith should start at CB! Peters is starting to play more frequently at Ipswich since the managerial change so I'm comfortable with him at RB!

I'll put on the Kreskin glasses and predict Hart's starters:

Peters------Jakovic------Straith-------De Jong

-----Jackson--------Friend--------Simpson-----

I'll got with my prediction of Hart lineup:

Straith------Jakovic------Edgar-------De Jong

-----Jackson--------Occean--------Simpson----

Here's who I would play

Peters------Edgar------Straith-------De Jong

------------Jakovic-----Johnson----------

-----Jackson--------Hutchinson--------Simpson----

-------------Occean----------------------

I'll got with my prediction of Hart lineup:

Straith------Jakovic------Edgar-------De Jong

-----Jackson--------Occean--------Simpson----

Here's who I would play

Peters------Edgar------Straith-------De Jong

------------Jakovic-----Johnson----------

-----Jackson--------Hutchinson--------Simpson----

-------------Occean----------------------

I'm not sure what my ideal line up is, frankly. I never saw the Venezuela match but Pacheco earned some props here, maybe Hart thinks he's got the savvy and the goods to do the job. Jakovic is a first choice CB at club and MNT level, so I don't see a Rafa Marquez role for him any time in the near or distant future. I know I don't want to see Hutchinson having to play a deeper mid role and thus straight man for DeRo's international stage stand up routine. And speaking of DeRo, I'm really curious to see how he'll be used by Hart. I honestly don't think he call him in from preseason just to sit on the bench to start the match. But Hart had the cojones to leave out his captain (though his club/playing situation should have made that an almost done deal), so you never know what will transpire with the TFC man.

Nakajima-Farran's exclusion was a mild surprise because he could cover both wing spots and seemed to be a Hart favourite. However, good to see some new blood in Ricketts.

“Mike has some personal issues and it doesn't really allow him to travel very far from home for any length of time. We have spoken at length and hopefully he will be okay and that situation will be resolved soon.”

What on earth could this mean, I wonder?It sounds vaguely like a court order or something odd, especially since in one interview Hart said something like, "You'll have to ask Mike..." which I doubt he would say if it was a sick family member or a serious health scare or something.

Pacheco's inclusion, frankly, baffles me. He's having a shocking season.

How Edgar fits in I wonder as well. Over Nana?

Speaking of benchwarmers, Straith too has hardly played this season - how does he start for Canada (essentially out of position) at RB? Ahead of Peters?

Especially with McKenna and Stalteri out, no room for some experience in Pozniak amongst all those kids?

Hutch must surely become our new captain.

Is Lars okay with Borjan being given the start? Or is Borjan okay with not being given the match after switching to Canada under the supposed presumption that he would play vs Greece?

Is DDR still the bad seed that tends to mean Hutch and Simpson play in his shadows and the whole team suffers? Or would he sulk on the bench?

It's a strong looking side but it still leaves some questions.

Hi all.

Via a media conference call today, CMNT Head Coach Stephen Hart spoke candidly about a number of topics related to the match against Greece and the National Team in general:

On the fact that he will only will have the players in for only one training session and the match while in Greece:

I think the way I am looking at it is that it is an international game against a very tough team who will be playing at home. So you hope that the players get some experience out of the game, playing against players of a different sort of quality. These short exhibition dates are always difficult for Canadian teams. In the end, it is important to play the games and what you get out of it in terms of experience and competition is invaluable.

On players not being available for the Greece match:

There were a couple of players whose schedules really didn't fit in. They were playing late on Sunday or had games on Monday. We just had to deal with that the best we could and we got most of the players that we wanted in. And, outside of injuries, I'm comfortable with the squad.

On the challenges the team will face playing against Greece:

Greece is not an opponent we will be playing on a regular basis. What we do when we go into these types of games is that we have been telling the players that it is more important to do the things that we do as a team and that we do well as a team. Of course, you go into the game to play to win and get a result, but it's more important how we play, how we approach the game, how we manage the game and that those sorts of building blocks are the most important things for us.

On Blackburn Rovers forward Junior Hoilett:

I did (reach out to him for this game) but it is the same story. He just says please give him some time. It's the same situation. I have been after him for every outing that we have had and that is no secret. I think he would acknowledge that as well. I'll keep knocking on the door. I can't answer that (whether he will join the team at some point). That decision is entirely up to him. I have extended my hand and he knows exactly how we feel about having him onboard.

On the fact that other CONCACAF rivals have been playing a lot of recent matches:

It's what our situation is. We are trying to play as many games as possible. We don't have the luxury of the Caribbean Cup or a Latin American tournament like they just completed. The only situation available to us is the Gold Cup and then outside of that we have been trying to play on all of the International dates where possible. They have the luxury of those extra tournaments and it helps with their rankings and their team building. But when you go to coach Canada you know that is the sort of situation you are going to be in.

On the few MLS Players being selected for this match and the fact that MLS players are in preseason meant he tried to select as few as possible:

Yes, of course. I spoke to some of the players and told them that it was most likely that they wouldn't be invited in and they understood the situation. I did have to call in a few MLS players based on positional needs. I would much prefer that they get into their preseason and get themselves into match shape. But they answered the call and that's most important thing.

On Paul Stalteri:

I did speak with Paul at length about his situation and what he is trying to do. In the discussion, I told him that I wouldn't be bringing him in for this game and he understands the situation completely. He has not been playing and he's trying to rectify his situation. Once he gets playing again we will keep an on eye on him to see how he is progressing.

On his starting eleven for Greece:

I have an idea what the starting eleven will be but we still have games that will be played today and on the weekend. And I don't know who will end up calling us - like what just happened with Kevin McKenna (who had to pull out of the Greece match at the last minute due to injury).

On Ali Gerba:

I spoke to Ali a while back and did speak to his club. As I said, my intention was to not bring in players from MLS or NASL or USL. I'm usually in good communication with Ali and his preseason will start soon and I'll get a chance to see him.

On the absence of Mike Klukowski:

It's probably best that you speak with Mike. He has some personal issues and it doesn't really allow him to travel very far from home for any length of time. We have spoken at length and hopefully he will be okay and that situation will be resolved soon.

On selecting Simeon Jackson for the Greece match and not selecting Iain Hume:

As you know, Simeon has been filling in on the right side with the National Team. Iain's primary playing position is up front just behind the striker and we felt that we needed somebody in the wide right position. It's as simple as that.

Full article:

http://www.rednationonline.ca/Hart_names_roster_for_Greece_friendly_february_3_11_article.shtml

If you get another chance to talk with him can you ask about Pozniak?

Archived