Canada roster for Greece friendly

jonovision

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Canada’s men’s national team has announced that Paul Stalteri has been added to the roster for the upcoming Men’s International Match on 9 February. Stalteri was added after defender Marcel de Jong and midfielder Nik Ledgerwood pulled out because of injuries.

http://www.canadasoccer.com/news/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=4655

So much for that goodbye. Hard to blame Hart, though: who else could he get at such short notice (probably not Chris Pozniak)?

http://www.canadasoccer.com/news/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=4655

So much for that goodbye. Hard to blame Hart, though: who else could he get at such short notice (probably not Chris Pozniak)?

Yes he has to give clubs proper notice and Pozniak's club could have refused him and even if they didn't it could be bad for Poz to accept a last minute call-up in the middle of training. Give Hart credit for having the balls not to call Stalteri but in the face of two last minute injuries he probably did not have a choice.

In the end, I suppose Hart was left with very little choice. Now, though, it's hard to conceive of any back four configuration which doesn't feature Stalteri starting. How plays left back? If it's not Stalteri, I bet it's Peters. Either way, I'm sure we see a goal or two conceded down that side. There are no natural left-sided players on the roster except Simpson.

In the end, I suppose Hart was left with very little choice. Now, though, it's hard to conceive of any back four configuration which doesn't feature Stalteri starting. How plays left back? If it's not Stalteri, I bet it's Peters. Either way, I'm sure we see a goal or two conceded down that side. There are no natural left-sided players on the roster except Simpson.

Hopefully not being a first choice motivates Stalteri and he really has a great performance.

This really hurts our chances of getting a result! I don't think there are many options at LB, I would play Simpson there if he's ok with that, he used to play there frequently! DeRo could slot into the Left Wing role that Simpson would have played! Hopefully Diesel is only there for cover, if he starts it could be a real long night!

This really hurts our chances of getting a result! I don't think there are many options at LB, I would play Simpson there if he's ok with that, he used to play there frequently! DeRo could slot into the Left Wing role that Simpson would have played! Hopefully Diesel is only there for cover, if he starts it could be a real long night!

I hope we don't see Simpson at left back, it is more important to get a consistent front 4 playing together, getting some chemistry and scoring goals. If we lose this game because of a poor left back but score a goal or two and make a few chances I'll be fine knowing that we have Klukowski and De Jong who both should be ready for the Gold Cup/World Cup Qualifying.

Why all the negative around a guy (Stalteri) or any other guys (Hastings) accepting call ups for their country? Should not the displeasure be directed towards the guy doing the selecting?

+1

As for the formation we should used. I say our first priority should be not to allow a goal (we've allowed our opponents to score in our last 10 games, that is an awful long streak), so we Hart need to choose his formation with this in mind. If this means playing Simpson at LB let's do it, someone else will build chemistry at LM.

Really brutal picking a side and substitutes I like from this mess (after the injuries - without Hume and Poz and Dunfield, etc) but here goes:

--------------------Hirschfeld---------------------

Peters------Jakovic-----Cann---------------Straith

-----------Johnson-------Hutchinson--------------

Jackson----------De Rosario------------Simpson

---------------------Occean----------------------

Straith for Peters 46'

Ledgerwood into LB 46'

Friend for Occean 46'

Ricketts (if still available) for Jackson 70'

Pacheco for De Rosario 70'

Edgar for Cann 70'

A lot of subs but I think it makes sense to see some of these guys play, and to audition OO vs Friend, Straith vs Peters with essentially the same conditions.

And if we're still playing beautiful looking football I also fully expect us to have conceded (and hopefully scored) a goal by half so it would justify some movement.

This was always going to be a tough match even if we had our first choice players, just look at the Greek roster and where their players play! With our top MLS players being out of season and most of our Euro based players not playing much for second division sides I'm afraid we could be in for a spanking! It's good we're playing matches, I just don't have a real positive feel about this match tomorrow! Apart from a new keeper joining us there isn't an infusion of new faces, I guess it will be more experience for us overall but we're really up against it IMHO!

Why all the negative around a guy (Stalteri) or any other guys (Hastings) accepting call ups for their country? Should not the displeasure be directed towards the guy doing the selecting?

Agreed 1000000%. What is all this pissing and moaning about Stalteri should do this or that, he is washed etc.. All you do is complain about people not taking the Canada call and refusing to commit to the NT, and a guy who always answers, even after getting snubbed, is getting pissed on? Get over it. He answered the bell for us, I hope he does well and good luck to him.

^ I don't think there are too many of us that are dumping on Stalteri for accepting an emergency call-up. I think the more widely held view around here is that, for the time being, Stalteri does not deserve to be selected on merit as long as he is not getting regular minutes for any professional club. As such, we would have been dumping on Hart had Stalteri been selected initially.

People love that Stalteri accepts the call but I think people are just frustrated with the lack of work he is putting in for the national team. He may be accepting the call but he is doing harm to us if he isn't playing and I don't feel he's made an effort to find a club, if he had he wouldn't be at Gladbach still.

People love that Stalteri accepts the call but I think people are just frustrated with the lack of work he is putting in for the national team. He may be accepting the call but he is doing harm to us if he isn't playing and I don't feel he's made an effort to find a club, if he had he wouldn't be at Gladbach still.

Yup, again, I'm a Pozniak Pumper here (yeah yeah, laugh about the sexual undertones) because Pozniak plays. If Stalteri was playing regularly, I wouldn't be pushing Pozniak so hard.

Paul shouldn't have gotten the call over the Poz, but Hart has his favourites.

Archived