8- M- Will Johnson | USA / Real Salt Lake

13- M- Atiba Hutchinson | NED / PSV Eindhoven

14- M- Dwayne De Rosario | CAN / Toronto FC

15- M- Josh Simpson | TUR / Vestel Manisaspor

16- M/F- Tosaint Ricketts | ROM / FC Politehnica Timişoara

9- F- Rob Friend | GER / Hertha BSC

10- F- Simeon Jackson | ENG / Norwich City FC

17- F- Olivier Occean | GER / Kickers Offenbach

I don't think Jakovic and McKenna would have been called if they weren't expected to start as the central pairing. It will be interesting if/how Stephen manages to work in the other guys listed as D (Straith, Peters, de Jong, Edgar). I'd start Straith at RB, de Jong at left, play Peters in midfield if he plays at all, and work in Edgar as a sub.

I go de Jong, McKenna, Jakovic, and Ledgerwood and end with de Jong, Straith, Edgar, and Peters barring the unforeseen.

Also, is Klukowski hurt and I didn't hear about it? Did he run over a gypsy? And if Radzinski isn't coming to this team I don't think he's coming to any of them.

I don't think Jakovic and McKenna would have been called if they weren't expected to start as the central pairing. It will be interesting if/how Stephen manages to work in the other guys listed as D (Straith, Peters, de Jong, Edgar). I'd start Straith at RB, de Jong at left, play Peters in midfield if he plays at all, and work in Edgar as a sub.

Yeah i expect them to start however i would like to see edgar get on the pitch for maybe the last 15 minutes (depending how game is going) and i would like to see peters play as a winger, i believe he can play well there

I'm guessing we go with:

----------------------Lars/Borjan--------------------

Straith/Peters---Jakovic---------McKenna------DeJong

----------------Johnson-------Pacheco--------------

Jackson/Ricketts--------Hutch---------------Simpson

----------------------Friend/Occean----------------

Is it really too expensive for the CSA to take a roster of 20 instead of 18 all the time. Every game we get a few little injuries in training and end up with a bench of 16 for the game instead of 18. Even if the player just trains with the national side its better than not being there, especially for some of our players who are frozen out at their clubs and not playing.

Our defence looks very young but our approach should be "blood the pup" strategy. It'll also be interesting to see how Ricketts adopts in Hart's 4-2-3-1 / 4-5-1 formation and use his blazing speed to either get some good crosses in or cut in from the right to generate some scoring chances.

Agreed would be nice to carry a squad between 20-23 players. Bit disappointed Hume was left out Gerba not so much. Hopefully Haber will be ready in time for the Gold Cup and David Hoilett will decide to suit up for his country he has been in great form for Blackburn in the Premier League the past couple of weeks.

We will have 2 trainings session before the game. I think bringing 20 players would be excessive in the circumstances. Potential # 19 and # 20 are probably better staying with their clubs at the moment. For dual FIFA dates we should call at least 20 players, specially if we can get 2 games.

I'm worried about the exclusion of Klukowski. This guy was our Voyageurs player of the year in 2009, and after a poor 2010 with the national team is he just out of the picture now? I mean he is getting playing time in Turkey, they've called up Simpson from Turkey, why not Klukowski?

Other than that I like the squad. Would have liked to see one of Hume or Gerba in there, but I would be surprised if they go the year without a few call ups.

As much as I like Stalteri, I'm glad to see Hart moving on to the next generation. It's quite ironic actually as a United and Canada fan to have Gary Neville, United's aging right back club captain, retire and the next day have Paul Stalteri, Canada's aging right back team captain, not get the call. On to the next generation!

I'd like to see Straith play at right back like he did in Montreal against Honduras. I think a backline of De Jong-Jakovic-McKenna-Straith looks pretty solid to me. Very balanced. We've got one fullback who likes to get forward in De Jong. If we put Jakovic inside left and McKenna inside right that gives us two defenders who are very good on the ball on each side of the pitch (Jakovic on the left and Straith on the right). And of course in the central defensive pairing of Jakovic and McKenna you have the perfect big presence in the air alongside a ball winner in Jakovic.

As for the midfield I think we can expect Johnson and Hutchinson to continue on in their starting positions. The third spot seems to be a toss up between Pacheco, Ledgerwood and Peters. I'd like to see Pacheco get the start, adds a bit more grit to that midfield than Ledgerwood or Peters would. Pacheco can is much more of a ball winner than the other two. I think Peters might be more suited to come on as a right back in the second half than as a midfielder.

Up front I think is where we could see the most experimenting. I'd be surprised if Hart doesn't start with De Rosario considering he was one of only three MLS based players called. So I'm gonna say we'll see Simpson, Friend and De Ro as the front three to start. Then he might bright on Occean, Ricketts and Jackson as the game continues. I'd like to see how the team would look with three more fluid forwards in their who can change positions, and work as more of a front three than a big man and two wingers. A Ricketts, Simpson, Jackson front three would be interesting, it would also be interesting to see how De Ro would do in the striker role.

Between the posts I'm going to go for the romantic pick and chose Borjan to start :)... The start of a Canadian Legend.

----------------------Borjan-----------------------

----Straith---McKenna---Jakovic---De Jong----

-----------------Pacheco-------------------------

------Johnson---------Hutchinson-----------------

--De Rosario------------------------Simpson-----

--------------------Friend--------------------------

Friend instead of Gerba? Only if Ali is hurt. Sorry but Ali has come through repeatedly at the international level. Other North American based players were selected so why not Ali?

Among those 2 NA players one was training with Celtic not long ago and the other has started training camp recently and we are lacking at this position (CB). Ali hasn't started training yet, that might be where the difference is.

Maybe it's worth asking Hart int he conference call later today (if someone read this).

Personally, I like the small, tight roster. Gives us a good glimpse into who Hart plans to really lean on. Plus, players probably appreciate knowing that they'll be actually involved in the game (since we won't really have any real training time).

JPG75's layout looks about right to me [edit: Sam's wasn't posted at the time of writing], except that I don't see Pacheco starting. Edgar may split time with Jakovic (who is out of season). Looking forward to seeing that back line.

Some interesting omissions, as always. Can't carry three target men, so Gerba is out (being out of season). Hume surprises me a bit, but he must be lower on the depth chart than Johnson and Ricketts. Stalteri's career looks to be effectively over. Bernier is hurt. deGuzman and Kuklowsky might be hurt too. Hainault would have been a nice inclusion but being out of season and with so many other defensive options, it makes sense to leave him out. Hart mentioned (in a Dobson interview) that one would miss for personal reasons; not sure who that might me.

Cheers!

Archived