Canada roster for Greece friendly

jonovision

Couple things to address:

1. Mike Klukowski

I have a sneaking suspicion that this may have something to do with a very unstable situation with his his club Ankaragucu in Turkey. There have been numerous reports of players not being paid their wages over the last 6 months at that club, and maybe the situation is so unpredictable that Mike fears leaving the club for any period of time might result in some serious funny business. Just a guess... but who knows....

2. Chris Pozniak

I will ask Stephen when I am in Larissa, but I can only assume that he deems Adam Straith and Jaime Peters to be more qualified at RB at this point. And I tend to agree with him....

3. My starting XI FWIW:

--------------------Borjan-----------------------

Peters-------Edgar------Jakovic-------De Jong

---------Johnson-----------Pacheco------------

------------------Hutchinson-------------------

Jackson--------------------------------Simpson

--------------------Occean----------------------

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We should have Chris Pozniak and Tomasz Radzinski fight to the death for a spot on the CMNT for "Polish-Canadian Guy Who Some Voyageurs Think Are Bizarrely Important". Eddy Sidra can referee.

As long as Edgar and Pacheco can be the linesmen.

And Keegan, "lets get some balls in to Friend and see what he can do," ? Seriously? We've seen what he can do in a Canada shirt up front by himself, and it's a whole lot of jack squat.

I'll put on the Kreskin glasses and predict Hart's starters:

--------------------Hirschfeld-------------------

Peters------Jakovic------Straith-------De Jong

------Johnson--------DeRo------Hutchinson----

-----Jackson--------Friend--------Simpson-----

^^ I love this lineup. I think Lars deserves the start, but for purely selfish reasons, I'd be okay with seeing Borjan get it. (I'm curious to see him play).

Also depending on how Jackson and Simpson are able to link up with Friend, I'd like to see Occean for the second half

Hate to ruin the lineups of everyone who had McKenna penciled in but he is no longer coming and is being replaced by Cann. Would this be Harts first choice of a replacement or would it be more geared towards the most convenient replacement as Cann is only a short plane ride from Greece?

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/02/de-rosario-cann-greece

In this case its out of convenience but I'm sure Cann isn't far off if we had a full squad he'd definitely be one of the first CB replacements

Here's the Greek roster:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2011/02/04/greece_squad/

Squad:

Goalkeepers: Michalis Sifakis (Aris), Costas Halkias (PAOK)

Defenders: Loukas Vyntra (Panathinaikos), Sokratis Papastathopoulos (AC Milan), Avraam Papadopoulos (Olympiakos), Nikos Spyropoulos (Panathinaikos), Vassilis Torosidis (Olympiakos), Giorgos Tzavelas (Eintracht Frankfurt), Vangelis Moras (Bologna)

Midfielders: Dimitris Siovas (Panionios), Costas Katsouranis (Panathinaikos), Giorgos Karagounis (Panathinaikos), Pantelis Kafes (AEK Athens), Sotiris Ninis (Panathinaikos), Panagiotis Kone (Brescia), Yiannis Fetfatzidis (Olympiakos), Grigoris Makos (AEK Athens)

Strikers: Giorgos Georgiadis (Panserraikos), Dimitris Salpigidis (PAOK), Costas Mitroglou (Panionios), Nikos Lymberopoulos (AEK Athens), Georgios Samaras (Celtic)

^ I disagree Greece looks a lot stronger.

However if we play well I don't seek why we can't get a respectable result.

Well of course Greece looks stronger no one can argue that, but our team also looks pretty good coming off the Ukraine match and we have many players returning plus the additions of DeRo and Johnson should help.

The Greeks are missing Tzorvas in net, Seitaridis in D, Tziolis in Mid and Charisteas at FWD. These players would usually be part of their top 18.

They have also been hit with the shock retirements of two mainstays - Liverpool CB Kyrgiakos and Eintracht Frankfurt FWD Theofanis Gekas - since the WC ended.

Seitaridis hasn't played in months and Charisteas' consistent inclusion in the side under Otto Rehagel was a source of ire from many fans. Fernando Santos has correctly dropped Charisteas.

Many will be surprised with the way the current Greek side lines up, a much more fluid style is implemented by Santos. There are 2 gifted young playmakers in Ninis and Fetfatzidis, both of whom would be a handful for any team. The main weakness, I feel, is in central midfield. Tziolis was becoming our own Xavi Alonso until injury forced him out. Karagounis and Katsouranis are the last of the old guard and many feel that their only available asset is their experience.

RE: DeRo, I take as a positive sign the fact that DeRo has cut his hair. New look, new beginning? Could his experience at Celtic have, perhaps, humbled him?

Judging by what I've seen of him in interviews, the signs are positive.

You mean you view him saying that he won't honour his contract and wants to TFC to pay him a lot more or it is not worth it for him to risk playing despite him having a valid contract as a sign his attitude has improved??????

2. Chris Pozniak

I will ask Stephen when I am in Larissa, but I can only assume that he deems Adam Straith and Jaime Peters to be more qualified at RB at this point. And I tend to agree with him....

Agreed. I don't know what the big deal is here. Hart clearly feels that the younger talent he has selected is the way to go and I totally agree.

You mean you view him saying that he won't honour his contract and wants to TFC to pay him a lot more or it is not worth it for him to risk playing despite him having a valid contract as a sign his attitude has improved??????

Anything he does with his club has nothing to do with his status and attitude on the National Team! Two completely different situations, money isn't involved so much with playing for Canada! I am with you with his lack of production for the National Team but I'm still willing to give him a chance to impress, I haven't completely given up on him and he has has some decent games with us in the past!

Not sure if it's serious but Nik L. injured himself in this morning game against Kickers (looks like a pulled harmstring). Not sure if he'll be able to join the team in Greece.

Give the Poz a call up, or Attakora. But Pozniak started pre-season earlier and has been going 90 minutes in friendlies with regularity at rightback.

Archived