Canada roster for Greece friendly

jonovision

People love that Stalteri accepts the call but I think people are just frustrated with the lack of work he is putting in for the national team. He may be accepting the call but he is doing harm to us if he isn't playing and I don't feel he's made an effort to find a club, if he had he wouldn't be at Gladbach still.

That's a bit off base. He's earned every f*ing penny he is getting from 'Gladbach, coming in to keep them up in the Bundesliga 1 in the 2nd half of the 2008-2009 season. 'Gladbach signed him to a 2 1/2 year deal and they have to live up to their end of it. Why should he take a massive cut in pay just to keep in 'shape'? He certainly didn't look any less fit than his teammates in his last copule of Canada matches despite his lack of playing time.

He will make his decision in the spring. I would love him to hook up with Schaaf, his mentor at Bremen, getting into coaching there. His success in Europe, playing multiple positions, national team experience, EPL stint, etc set him up to be a real prospect for coach down the road.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's a bit off base. He's earned every f*ing penny he is getting from 'Gladbach, coming in to keep them up in the Bundesliga 1 in the 2nd half of the 2008-2009 season. 'Gladbach signed him to a 2 1/2 year deal and they have to live up to their end of it. Why should he take a massive cut in pay just to keep in 'shape'? He certainly didn't look any less fit than his teammates in his last copule of Canada matches despite his lack of playing time.

He will make his decision in the spring. I would love him to hook up with Schaaf, his mentor at Bremen, getting into coaching there. His success in Europe, playing multiple positions, national team experience, EPL stint, etc set him up to be a real prospect for coach down the road.

I doubt he would play for Bremen. I don't think Bremen would take him especially with what is happening at Gladbach. Bremen is a team with Champiosn League aspirations. If he is with Bremen, it is to coach and not to play.

I doubt he would play for Bremen. I don't think Bremen would take him especially with what is happening at Gladbach. Bremen is a team with Champiosn League aspirations. If he is with Bremen, it is to coach and not to play.

That's not what Ed said.

"I would love him to hook up with Schaaf, his mentor at Bremen, getting into coaching there. His success in Europe, playing multiple positions, national team experience, EPL stint, etc set him up to be a real prospect for coach down the road."

That's not what Ed said.

"I would love him to hook up with Schaaf, his mentor at Bremen, getting into coaching there. His success in Europe, playing multiple positions, national team experience, EPL stint, etc set him up to be a real prospect for coach down the road."

Sorry, I had a brain fart.

That's a bit off base. He's earned every f*ing penny he is getting from 'Gladbach, coming in to keep them up in the Bundesliga 1 in the 2nd half of the 2008-2009 season. 'Gladbach signed him to a 2 1/2 year deal and they have to live up to their end of it. Why should he take a massive cut in pay just to keep in 'shape'?.

Totally agreed, particularly because he probably already took a cut when he had his contract terminated by Tottenham in order to move Gladbach.

He's got one chance to really bring home the bacon and that time is running out. Sitting in the stands in London would have been a lot more lucrative than playing or not playing for Gladbach. He's gotta capitalize now, not when he's 45 and if that means him sitting well I think he's done more than enough for us to let him do what he needs to do. We all understandably tend to forget this sometimes when discussing our national team players.

I have been a guest on this forum for some time and read many posts. but you know what, I needed to express my views after reading some comments made.

I believe there is no way that Canada will come close to this match. They found to be lucky in UKR to manage getting 2 goals early in the game and actually lucky not to have lost in the later minutes which showed fatigue in my opinion and these players where playing and game ready for 90 well 80 minutes really..

Now adding more unfit players specfically the mls players added the Stalteri where does he fit into the picture of the next world cup? Is he not to old. We will se how different they will look to others compared to the match of UKR , and how they perform with these new additions on the field. I agree with a poster that I read that suggested that some players should not even been called upon as they are to old etc etc....or not in shape or something of that nature.

I look at it this way if I was young player trying out to make an impression for a MNT program would i not want one that can stay with me and demostrate how good he and i am. Would I not want to have the best player fit and ready for the task, next to me that will help the cause of a good result. Of course one would.

I see a complete breakdown of motivation of those players mostly the ones that are playing abroad that are considered to be rdy then rather not. I see Canada team that will have a learning experience in tommorrow match. I see nothing bad soccer (the good) match fit (the bad) out of shape and the ugly ( players tht really should not be there at all) do not expect much other then I feel sorry for some of you that believe that you have a chance and expect to even score a goal with this group of players that are simply poor shape.

Greece will teach them a lesson of how the game is played

roadrunner59 is right that most of the predicted scorelines are a bit rosy. But you'll find that on any fan/supporters forum. Frankly we'll probably give up two goals and will struggle to score even one. But I don't think it will be a blow-out. The last time Greece scored more than 2 goals in a match was October 2009.

I disagree about being lucky against Ukraine. We had some great chances to go ahead 3-1 in the game, albeit Ukraine had their chances as well. I will give you this, match fitness seemed to be an issue. The legs dropped off significantly after 60-70 minutes and that may be lack of playing 90 minutes. I hope Hart takes this into consideration when picking his starting lineup. He will have to use his substitutes smartly in order to maximize the team's output. I think Greece is only slightly better than the Ukraine, to be honest.

In Ukraine, Hart set his lineup and ran his substitutions like he was expecting to fight from behind. The team wasa built for late offense and to move the ball, much like what got us our equalizer against Venezuela. When we were up 2-0, he simply wasn't able to make the adjustments needed to defend the lead.

I think he tried to correct that issue this time around, then everybody got hurt. So we're back in the same situation. But let's not pretend Ukraine came back on us because they're really really great and we're really really ****.

I think Ukraine came back in that game because they were the better team. Yes we got a chance to make it 3-1 but Ukraine had a long spell at the end where they were all over the place. I twas a good result for us against a strong opponent.

I expect Greece and Ukraine are at a similar level in term of strenght. Should be a tough one tomorrow.

I disagree about being lucky against Ukraine. We had some great chances to go ahead 3-1 in the game, albeit Ukraine had their chances as well. I will give you this, match fitness seemed to be an issue. The legs dropped off significantly after 60-70 minutes and that may be lack of playing 90 minutes. I hope Hart takes this into consideration when picking his starting lineup. He will have to use his substitutes smartly in order to maximize the team's output. I think Greece is only slightly better than the Ukraine, to be honest.

Agree 100%

It was a tale of two half's Canada was better in the first and as the game wore on, the players did not have the stamina to stay on par with Ukraine

Out of the starting 11 many of them were not playing regular 90 mins. I think Simpson, Occean, Issey and Dejan were playing the full 90 (regularly), and at the time i believe PSV was using Hutch as a sub (or was it RB)

first an most you have to remmember that the changes int he game took place at half time. UKr started with players they wanted to look at. Had they started with theri best 11 the result would have been different and canada would have not had the lucky 2 goals.

secondly you cannot start any game with 4 players match fit sorrythats not a mens team.

Thirdly with the new CSA concept these things will change including staff of the MNT.

Tommorrow will be the result in favour of greece the question is by how bad Canada looks and how many goals greece gets.

do not get me wrong i hope i wrong but i doubt it......

I have been a guest on this forum for some time and read many posts. but you know what, I needed to express my views after reading some comments made.

I believe there is no way that Canada will come close to this match. They found to be lucky in UKR to manage getting 2 goals early in the game and actually lucky not to have lost in the later minutes which showed fatigue in my opinion and these players where playing and game ready for 90 well 80 minutes really..

Now adding more unfit players specfically the mls players added the Stalteri where does he fit into the picture of the next world cup? Is he not to old. We will se how different they will look to others compared to the match of UKR , and how they perform with these new additions on the field. I agree with a poster that I read that suggested that some players should not even been called upon as they are to old etc etc....or not in shape or something of that nature.

I look at it this way if I was young player trying out to make an impression for a MNT program would i not want one that can stay with me and demostrate how good he and i am. Would I not want to have the best player fit and ready for the task, next to me that will help the cause of a good result. Of course one would.

I see a complete breakdown of motivation of those players mostly the ones that are playing abroad that are considered to be rdy then rather not. I see Canada team that will have a learning experience in tommorrow match. I see nothing bad soccer (the good) match fit (the bad) out of shape and the ugly ( players tht really should not be there at all) do not expect much other then I feel sorry for some of you that believe that you have a chance and expect to even score a goal with this group of players that are simply poor shape.

Greece will teach them a lesson of how the game is played

Greece will teach Canada how to properly bunker and avoid playing any sort of real football?

first an most you have to remmember that the changes int he game took place at half time. UKr started with players they wanted to look at. Had they started with theri best 11 the result would have been different and canada would have not had the lucky 2 goals.

secondly you cannot start any game with 4 players match fit sorrythats not a mens team.

Thirdly with the new CSA concept these things will change including staff of the MNT.

Tommorrow will be the result in favour of greece the question is by how bad Canada looks and how many goals greece gets.

do not get me wrong i hope i wrong but i doubt it......

But you are speaking as if Canada had their "A" squad against UKR - which wasn't the case either. As for the Greece match, well I'm force to agree that they will loose. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Archived