Canada roster for Greece friendly

jonovision

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like a decent roster! If this is the end of Diesel, a big thank you for all he has done for the National Team! It is truly time to develop someone else in the RB position though! DeGuzman is just recovering from knee surgery so no surprise there, Klukowski has been injured, I wasn't aware that he has returned to his club side! As for Hume, someone mentioned in another thread about him maybe asking not to be called as he is just establishing himself with his new side Preston North End! I have stated before Hume will be a very viable option based on his club form in the English Championship, he's playing every game! Those are my thoughts on omissions!

I think we are lacking a true DM presence there to play alongside Johnson. Maybe DeJong will be move to DM or even Atiba which will allow DeRo to move to on top of the triangle (which isn't something I like to see).

I think between Johnson and Hutch we'll have enough defensive presence! Dunfield if he was in season may have been a good option with the injuries to Bernier and JDG!

I'm worried about the exclusion of Klukowski. This guy was our Voyageurs player of the year in 2009, and after a poor 2010 with the national team is he just out of the picture now? I mean he is getting playing time in Turkey, they've called up Simpson from Turkey, why not Klukowski?

As for the midfield I think we can expect Johnson and Hutchinson to continue on in their starting positions. The third spot seems to be a toss up between Pacheco, Ledgerwood and Peters. I'd like to see Pacheco get the start, adds a bit more grit to that midfield than Ledgerwood or Peters would. Pacheco can is much more of a ball winner than the other two. I think Peters might be more suited to come on as a right back in the second half than as a midfielder.

Klukowski has been injured, if he does play this weekend it will be his first game back I doubt his club would appreciate him then flying off to Greece to play for his national team. Just bad timing.

How many times have you seen Pacheco play? For his club side he has hardly played this season but when he did get a start I heard he is more of an offensive midfielder.

Good that Stalteri hasn't been called, thats enough of that BS find yourself a club diesel!

Here's the XI I posted in another thread (what I think Hart will start with)

---------------------Friend------------------------

Simpson----------De Rosario------------Jackson

-------------Hutchinson----Johnson---------------

De Jong------McKenna---Jakovic--------Peters

--------------------Borjan-------------------------

Subs:

Straith for Peters 46'

Ricketts for Jackson 65'

Pacheco for De Rosario 70'

Edgar for McKenna 70'

Occean for Friend 70'

And for people who are complaining about the small roster, most players are getting in on Monday we will have one training session Tuesday and then the match Wednesday. It wouldn't make sense to fly an extra 2/3 guys in for ONE training session and then to have a bench of 10/11 for a friendly... as it is I don't think everyone is going to get in this match.

Yup I don't why Gerba isn't there. It's not like he does not deserve a look, even as a sub.

I wanted Gerba too but what would the point be? He hasn't started training and he'd get one training session for Canada before the match (which he obviously wouldnt start if he isn't in match shape). Flying to Greece for one training session would make no sense at all.

The only exclusions that I can think of are Hume and Pozniak. But on the brightside we are getting looks at Ricketts and Ledgerwood (presumably their two replacements).

I am quite excited with this roster. I hope that they will perform well as they started in Ukraine. I am not a fan of the Greek approach to football (or anti-football) as some would call it. I hope we can get behind them while they are still sleeping thinking we are just an 80th ranked nation.

Give 'em crap boys!

Although it is techinically not national team info....interesting that one canadian, Daniel Fernandes didn't get called up by Portugal for their match during the international break. Got to wonder when some of this guys will clue in and want to play international football and play for a country that wants them.

Oh... we forgot about Issey N-F. I wonder if he plays Monday?

Edit: It appears that the Danish season doesn't begin until March (after the Winter break).

It looks like Dero took his place on the roster. Kinda a shame really; he was playing pretty well in Denmark before the winter break. Anyway, it's nice to have some depth out wide with Issey and Hume in reserve. Now if we could only find some CMs, things would really be looking up. We could really use Dunfield at this game.

... Now if we could only find some CMs, things would really be looking up...

It is also too bad that Kuklowski couldn't make this game. With Simpson at left-wing and deJong at left-wing-back, I would have liked to have seen Kuklowski in CM (where he played in his U-20 days) alongside Hutchinson. That might be a CM duo worth looking at.

It looks like Dero took his place on the roster. Kinda a shame really; he was playing pretty well in Denmark before the winter break. Anyway, it's nice to have some depth out wide with Issey and Hume in reserve. Now if we could only find some CMs, things would really be looking up. We could really use Dunfield at this game.

But Issey needs a break, he always answers the call and I'm sure he'll be at the Gold Cup so thats a lot of football

Dunfield is looking good for Vancouver in preseason, but Im not sure a trip from Vancouver to Greece for one training session and a match is worth it for him right now, we'll see him again before the Gold Cup I'm sure. With De Guzman and Bernier out we just got screwed last minute for midfielders but its all good, we'll get a solid look at a bunch of guys.

I'm starting to think the left back position is now De Jong's to lose. He had an unlucky injury vs. Peru, played well vs. Ukraine and is starting at left back for a side that looks to headed to the B1.

According to Gerry Dobson on twitter, McKenna has already been declared out for this match. Attakora or Cann to fill in. I hope this means more of a chance to see Edgar.

Regardless I'm sure Edgar is playing this match. David might play for Swansea vs. Cardiff this weekend but even if he does I wouldn't start him. I'd definitely call Attakora to replace McKenna, he needs to be in an A camp and would be more valuable than Cann being called right now.

We've got CMs...Hutchinson, De Rosario, Tosaint Ricketts, Marcel De Jong. All of these guys give the squad a strong attacking style - or so it would appear - which will be handy trying to break through the Greek's favourite strategy; bunker style with a counter attack.

According to Gerry Dobson's latest article, Kuklowski is out for personal reasons:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2011/02/03/dobson_glimpse_of_the_future/

A glimpse of the future

Gerry Dobson - February 3, 2011

Stephen Hart has decided to call on some fresh faces for Canada's friendly against Greece.

I like the Canadian roster announced by Stephen Hart for the Greece friendly next week.

It's young. It's mostly about the future. What do you think?

Let's start at the back. We know about Lars Hirschfel, but 23-year-old Milan Borjan is the key. We're hearing great things about him. I'll bet he gets the start. Agreed?

In front of him, Hart has some decisions to make. Central defender Dejan Jakovic is one of three MLS players called in. Since MLS camps are just underway, these players can't be match fit, (except for DeRosario perhaps after his stint with Celtic) but why bring in Jakovic if you're not going to play him?

Hart also has the experienced Kevin McKenna at his call, but I'd also like to see more of fullback Adam Straith.

In midfield, there's another MLS player in Will Johnson. Put him in there along with the ever-reliable Atiba Hutchinson.

Up front there are several choices. Does Hart start Dwayne De Rosario in an attacking role? Interesting that Rob Friend got the call and not Ali Gerba who scores at a prolific rate for the national team. Keep in mind once again, this time of year, fitness is an issue for non-European based players.

Hopefully we'll see plenty of newcomer Tosaint Ricketts. Notable players left off the list are Iain Hume, the aforementioned Gerba, Paul Stalteri and Mike Klukowski. It looks as though Stalteri's days are numbered. Klukowski is out for personal reasons. Nothing to be worried about, but its something he needs to deal with.

And of course we're all waiting on David Hoilett. Let's hope he plays in the Gold Cup when Canada can actually cap players for keeps. What do you think? Happy with the team?

We've got CMs...Hutchinson, De Rosario, Tosaint Ricketts, Marcel De Jong. All of these guys give the squad a strong attacking style - or so it would appear - which will be handy trying to break through the Greek's favourite strategy; bunker style with a counter attack.

Only one of those 4 is a true CM: Hutchinson.

DeJong is mostly used at LB at the club level or LM.

DeRo isn't a true offensive mid. He's better used coming from the wing.

Ricketts isn't a CM from all I know. I think he's a forward or a winger.

Archived