Do you like the new CMNT jerseys?

Redcoatsforever

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I voted hated them both but honestly I don't love or hate either of them. The 2 designs actually evoke no emotion in me at all. What I truly am is disappointed. I was hoping for something that everyone would want to rush out and buy and I don't think the new kit does that.

I suppose the best thing about the kit is it has people talking about it but unfortunately not in a positive way. Umbro/CSA could have and should have done much better.

Stole this pic from the CSA's splash page

20110125_Umbro_Athletes1_no.jpg

Gotta say it does look better when actually on the players

Wow. What a terrible picture.

I can't think of an easier picture to color correct.

wtf.

It's embarrassing that is on the splash page for the CSA.

...Seriously?

qosuhs.jpg

that red just kills me, why super Red? not more a of a darker red like the crimson in the mockup?

30mmu8l.jpg

They half grow on you the longer you see em and I do like the white one, but how much time and thought did Umbro put into these? Did they just take a Man City jersey and decide to make it a V and wrap it up right there?

ps. CSA's logo is ****e

The white shorts on red jersey is better, but the black chevron is still an eyesore. Personally if they got rid of the black chevron i think it would look a million times better. Did a quick modification in paint and fell in love.

Losing the black stripe on both kits would make them 10 times better... then we could use black on the Canada logo, makes it look a lot better imo

Agreed - the black is terrible. Both shirts look kinda houseleague. The CSA crest should be in the middle of the chest at the tip of the "V".

Not the end of the world but certainly a mis-step -- we have enough challenges without having to fend off criticsm about an ugly minor-soccer jersey.

Just red/white would have been a pretty sharp jersey

I didn't realize she was so good looking! And the jerseys look really sharp when actually worn to be honest.

And you're making aesthetic judgements on clothing.

Well done. It seems that it's not that hard at all. As for the red it seemed alright in person. On here the reds look too bright or too dull IMO

Ya that's the problem with those heavily lighted shots, you never know what the colour actually is til you see it with your own eyes.

In some of the newer pics I'm seeing it doesn't look as bright, which is a good thing, but they are also all bar lit with what looks like the yellow of incandescent

I've been thinking about this a lot and it's getting in the way of my job so I thought I would put my thoughts down in writing.

I, like many others, would much prefer the reverse Ajax kit. However, there are several reasons that I am OK with these. I see them as a huge improvement over the nondescript kit we have had over the past several years. Those were so plain they could have been mistaken for any other nation whose shirts were red with little other design to them. As bettermirror mentions it is a kit that won't be mistaken for any other nation... which is a good thing in my books. This also leads to the second reason I am OK with these. The uniqueness of the design gives a strong indication that we can expect the NT being treated uniquely by the kit makers (unlike the recent past). This leaves the door open for subsequent changes and new unique editions... and maybe eventually they will get around to making the reverse Ajax. Actually, I mentioned it elsewhere that I would love it if they eventually used the reverse Ajax as the red kit and the new white one as the second kit.

For the time being I think the focus should be on how these kits can be improved. For starters, get the crest right with white backing and it will be a big improvement. Another suggestion I would have would be to make the chevrons (especially on the whites) a two tone red instead of the red and black.

One more thing that I mentioned elsewhere is that I would love to know what some of the players think about these. Anyone hear/read anything?

Nice idea.

It's been 16 hours or so, and I've already come around. If the MSRP for these shirts is only $60, I'll surely buy one, if not both.

But am I the only one who thinks that this is really a minor issue deserving only of minor discussion?

In order;

Still think they're crap, both of them, and expect that I will likely think same tomorrow no matter who you doll them up with.

Cheap, cheap. Sign me up. Will definately try to kit up in the red come Gold Cup time regardless of what I think of the design. (Hoping by then some "fine tuning" and "sober second thought" well have taken place and modified the design significantly but that's just a private hope).

No, you're no the only one but what the Hell. It's all good, harmless, fun in a topic where opinions on the matter don't matter if you follow me.

canucks_jerseys250.jpg

Remind you of anything?

It's been said the Canucks developed the infamous "Flying V" jersey after consulting with psychiatrist who said it would make the players look more intimidating.

Maybe the CSA is hoping for the same effect.

CAkick.jpg

Wayne-Rooney1.jpg

I'd say there are soccer examples of a precedent here. I hated the red for a minute, then I saw the darker rendering of it.

CAkick.jpg

Wayne-Rooney1.jpg

I'd say there are soccer examples of a precedent here. I hated the red for a minute, then I saw the darker rendering of it.

You don't have to compare our NMT jersey to a few of the worst jerseys around the world to find some consolation. The Mexican clubs have awful jerseys (however, America jersey is not that bad when you compare to the rest of the Mexican clubs) and I don't like the current MU jersey. However, their last season jersey was beautiful.

This article explains the chevron reasoning:

http://canadasoccer.com/news/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=4645

The Chevron aesthetic has a storied history in the game of soccer dating back to the early 1900s. The Chevron denotes unity and team, long associated with Canada’s Armed Forces. The Canadian Soccer Association Crest is proudly placed on the left chest over the heart with high quality embroidery.

These kits are very weird and sh1te. At least they're weird and sh1t though. The adidas kits had no character at all.

Why does anyone think the design reflects the V in Voyageurs? That would mean Umbro designed a custom kit for a supporters group at the CSA's request and then the CSA didn't tell us. Right...

I'm getting over my disappointment and although I would still prefer the xajA design, at $60 I can afford to shell out for what may be an interim solution.

Having watched the video they do look better on moving people. One thought though (beyond my preference for white shorts for both kits) - plain backs? boring. I would like the shirts to have yokes that do the same stripes as the chevron.

The words from Umbro sound good:

"..we will create, define and drive the culture of soccer in this country. We will change the look of our game, both on and off the pitch...We will tie into the emotive elements of the game and the Canadian Soccer Association will be at the very heart of these initiatives. We have a great opportunity to celebrate the Centenary year of the Canadian Soccer Association in 2012 and tell a great a heritage and authenticity story”. "

And while the link to the chevron to the military sounds nice but the military doesn't really define Canada for me and I would have preferred something that actually relates to Cdn soccer history since that is truly the way to "create, define and drive the culture of soccer in this country".

Wayne-Rooney1.jpg

You mean Nike/Umbro was thinking of Canada's Military heritage too when they designed Man U's or Holland's jersey?

Personally I thought it was more of an after-thought explanation, linking it to the military. If they were really serious of including Canada's rich soccer history, Umbro should be considering the 1912 crest or better, something refering to the historic 1986 World Cup appearance.

But kudos to the MSRP of $60! I'm tired of spending over $100 for a Canadian jersey, like the ones from Adidas.

Archived