Dero demands more money in a goal celebration

CanadianSoccerFan

Eh Luongo was captain for the Canucks not so long ago, so it works in hockey.

No, he wasn't really. Hockey goalies are not allowed to be captain because one duty of the captain is to come and argue the calls on behalf of the team; it is thought a goalie skating out to centre would take too much time.

Sure Luongo was called the captain and did on the off ice stuff (interviews which he would have done as a star anyway) but he didn't do any of the on ice stuff or got to wear the "C" as captain, he wasn't allowed by the NHL. In closing Gillis made a silly decision and fixed it this year.

No there isn't anything against a goalkeeper wearing the arm band

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is the video for those who haven't seen it. Pretty interesting that SJ went and scored again 1 minute after DeRo's goal and very motivational celebration. I think he is being paid fairly. He got a pretty decent raise on what he was making at Houston who basically didn't want him anymore. This incident probably sheds a lot of light on why they didn't want him anymore. Regardless of how he plays in MLS there isn't any international market for him and a player's worth on the international soccer market is usually what determines their salary. He is a star at a 2nd tier level who is not good enough to play at the 1st tier (something we see every time he plays for Canada) so a salary of $450 000 is pretty good for a player of that calibre. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9eU70Kk-Ws

In soccer can the goalkeeper wear the armband? I know in hockey that's verboten.

I'd keep DeRo in the lineup and strip him of the band. It probably would mean more to the team to show where the leadership lies. If he sulks then sub him out early and leave him out for the next game. And the next. And then wait and see what happens.

Incidentally, nothing to argue with PJ in that article.

Isn't Ilker Casillas The RM captain. I believ that at the 82 WC Dino Zoff was the captain.

If Dwayne wants a huge raise, he probably deserves it. If he expects DP-level money, well he hasn't played that level yet: those players have played in Europe and played with the best. Just because Julian was astute enough to accept a $1.7 million offer from TFC is not Julian's fault.

While I agree that other MLS teams would easily offer Dwayne more money if they could sign him, I doubt if they would pay him as nearly much as Julian's negotiated salary.

As for the "classy" way Dwayne made his case, no one should be surprised in North America, especially in this world of LeBrons, Yashins, Boshes, Beckhams, Favres, etc ...

What a shocker - star professional athlete demanding a new contract while in the middle of an existing one and showing a lack of class. From reading this thread you'd think this was the very first time this had ever happened, grow up people - this is the reality of pro sports no matter what anyone's opinion here is, I may not like it but I'll still be watching. I think the biggest crime is this team not being able to make any real improvements since year one.

lYou are oversimplifying the issue here. It's the way he did it and his role as the team captain that makes this event a "hot" topic. After something like that it's only fair for the fans to discuss DeRo antics.

I always enjoy the outburst when a player plays better than his contract and feels the Team should now renogotiate with them. I wonder what reaction would be if Team asked player who was not playing well to renogotiate a lower salary??? I bet support would not be as strong for Team???

If Dwayne wants a huge raise, he probably deserves it. If he expects DP-level money, well he hasn't played that level yet: those players have played in Europe and played with the best. Just because Julian was astute enough to accept a $1.7 million offer from TFC is not Julian's fault.

While I agree that other MLS teams would easily offer Dwayne more money if they could sign him, I doubt if they would pay him as nearly much as Julian's negotiated salary.

As for the "classy" way Dwayne made his case, no one should be surprised in North America, especially in this world of LeBrons, Yashins, Boshes, Beckhams, Favres, etc ...

I agree with this. There is a time and a place for this, but maybe he wanted a public display? Maybe there are some frustrations that are coming out in public ways. The last few weeks have been very interesting for this Toronto team.

If Dwayne wants a huge raise, he probably deserves it. If he expects DP-level money, well he hasn't played that level yet: those players have played in Europe and played with the best...

Think the issue may be more that MLS doesn't want the DP roster spot to be used on domestic players already in the league (yes I know about Donovan). It wants it used on big name players coming in from outside. Hence why FC Dallas were not allowed to use their DP roster spot to keep Kenny Cooper:

http://theoriginalwinger.com/2009-08-04-kenny-cooper-sr-mls-must-change

I always enjoy the outburst when a player plays better than his contract and feels the Team should now renogotiate with them. I wonder what reaction would be if Team asked player who was not playing well to renogotiate a lower salary??? I bet support would not be as strong for Team???

Actually the NFL's Seattle Seahawks re-negotiated two contracts to a lower number this season. Leroy Hill and Juluis Jones, both took a cut of Millions and had multiple years left on there deals.

It takes a ballsy management to ask a player to do that, but it takes even more to accept it. I'm not saying it's common practice or ever will be, but in certain points it has happened.

I disagree with this. I don't think many teams in MLS would make him a DP. They'd probably pay him about what he's making now. His value is highest in Toronto and it is with TFC that he has the opportunity to maximize his wages, so going public with his demands for more money in the way he did was the absolute worst negotiating tactic. There isn't the demand for him across the league or in other leagues that he thinks there is.

lYou are oversimplifying the issue here. It's the way he did it and his role as the team captain that makes this event a "hot" topic. After something like that it's only fair for the fans to discuss DeRo antics.

Indeed. I think DeRo has an argument that he should be paid more in relation to what he's done for the team and what other players are being paid. However it is an argument that shouldn't be made on the field, and especially not when the team's season is on the line. Also, if it is okay for the team captain to be making such gestures on the field, it therefore should be okay for the other players to do so, including the ones that have an even greater argument for being under-paid. As such, we can now expect to see Adrian Cann making the same "cheque-signing" gesture to the fans after every header he wins in the air, while Nana will no doubt do a "airplane flying" movement after every attack that he manages to break up to signify that he will fly to Europe and play there if they don't pay him more, etc.

Of course I am joking about the latter examples, but I think it demonstrates how silly DeRo's gesture was in the first place.

Um, this is completely different. Not one single facet is the same.

It is, however, how Alexei started. I didn't say it was how DeRo was NOW, I said he had to avoid becoming that.

I was an avid Sens follower at the time, I remember it well. (I'm thinking of the first go-'round, and the season prior to the training-camp hold-out. Not the second hold-out.)

Actually the NFL's Seattle Seahawks re-negotiated two contracts to a lower number this season. Leroy Hill and Juluis Jones, both took a cut of Millions and had multiple years left on there deals.

It takes a ballsy management to ask a player to do that, but it takes even more to accept it. I'm not saying it's common practice or ever will be, but in certain points it has happened.

You can't compare NFL contracts to the contracts in other professional sports, as NFL contracts are not guarenteed. Because of this, a team can say either we re-negoatiate or we'll cut you, meaning the player could end up with nothing. MLS contracts guarentee after a certain date.

Also, if it is okay for the team captain to be making such gestures on the field, it therefore should be okay for the other players to do so, including the ones that have an even greater argument for being under-paid. As such, we can now expect to see Adrian Cann making the same "cheque-signing" gesture to the fans after every header he wins in the air, while Nana will no doubt do a "airplane flying" movement after every attack that he manages to break up to signify that he will fly to Europe and play there if they don't pay him more, etc.

Of course I am joking about the latter examples, but I think it demonstrates how silly DeRo's gesture was in the first place.

Continuing in that train of thought, I can think of a few TFC guys who should hide a real hundred dollar bill and a book of matches in their kit and then light the bill afire after a bad play resulting in a goal against or a missed sitter: I guess they would have to hide a lot of bills!

But seriously, I totally agree about the silliness of the gesture

Definitely a bit of a backlash building against Dwayne DeRosario now. If he was expecting the fans to back him and put pressure on MLSE to comply with his request as a way to bolster season ticket renewals it hasn't really panned out that way so far. Was surprised that this Youtube video wasn't shouted down on the RPB board:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1505KENay-A

Tom Anselmi's take on things:

http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=335463

"I think the message sucked," he told "Prime Time Sports" on Rogers Sportsnet and The Fan 590 on Monday. "Because that is putting personal interest above team and that's not what good teams do."

Anselmi called De Rosario "a good guy" whose behaviour was out of character.

"That's just not team behaviour and just unacceptable."

Added Anselmi: "We all do stupid things once in a while and hopefully that's what it's about. And Dwayne's happy to be part of this team and we're going to move on. That's what I'm assuming the situation is."

Definitely a bit of a backlash building against Dwayne DeRosario now. If he was expecting the fans to back him and put pressure on MLSE to comply with his request as a way to bolster season ticket renewals it hasn't really panned out that way so far. Was surprised that this Youtube video wasn't shouted down on the RPB board:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1505KENay-A

LOL. Hey, that's not bad. Pretty good actually but what the Hell, bit into my cups so I'll have a go to...

“Hi, I'm Dan Gargan. I've only scored one goal for my team this season, Toronto Football Club, and don't bloody look likely to score another.

“Fact is, it's very unlikely that anyone I play along side with outside of Dwayne de Rosario or maybe the cross-eyed Chad Barrett is every going to score a goal for this team, but that's entirely beside the point I wish to address tonight.

“Here in the TFC family, as we work hard towards an MLS record fourth season in a row of not making the playoffs there has been some criticism with the way in which our team leading scorer, Dwayne de Rosario has expressed, at this most critical time of the league season, his displeasure with the monetary compensation he's been receiving.

“Yes, it might be true we only have a snowball's chance in Hell of making the league playoffs because Dwayne rather selfishly scored all those goals through-out our season while other, higher paid team-mates where failing to, and yes it's also true I shudder to think where as a club we'd be at this point if Dwayne wasn't siting on a goal scoring tally which puts him at, or above, a level with Designated Players like Juan Pablo Angel, or Freddie Ljungberg, but we also have to remember that in this sport it isn't always about the quality of football you play, but how hard you play it.

“I'm reminded of something our most recently dismissed manager was fond of saying. “Run you fu'kers. Run 'til you puke. The commitment and dedication of a footballer isn't measured by the countless hours needed in honing the skill in his boots or sharpening that mental muscle between his ears with tactical exercises. Plain & simply it's measured by the countless hours in the exercising of his legs.”

“I, like many of my MLS comrades subscribe to this theory. Admittedly, I did miss having a soccer ball around, ANY soccer ball, during our training sessions with Coach Preki, but it would be fair to say that I, like so may of the ticket purchasing public, did enjoy the simple, clear, and physical focus of those training sessions. If only Coach Preki were given the chance he truly deserved to mold this club in his image we wouldn't now be facing the controversy brought on by Dwayne's display earlier in the week.

“And so while I feel Dwayne is now, and I hope going forward in the years to come, an important part of the TFC family I can't support the recent dramatic actions which he saw fit to unleash onto the public recently with his latest “goal scoring” celebration.

"Stupid "goal scoring" celebrations. Glad I or anyone else I know at TFC isn't burdened with such tripe.

“Anyway, I wish to say to our many dedicated supporters, come what may in 2011, that as you look around you into the growing numbers of empty and increasingly expensive seats, that you can rest assured that we the players of TFC will continue to commit ourselves, with or without Dwayne de Rosario, to ultimately working hard in the same fashion we've shown this past year towards making the playoffs in the future.

“And in contrary to past patterns, with better results of course.

“Yours Truly in wishing that all that evidence which suggests MLS level goal scorers are a tough commodity to come by is incorrect.

Non-MLS Goal of the Year winner, non-MLS Cup winning MVP, and non-4 time MLS Cup Champion

Dan Gargan”

Continuing in that train of thought, I can think of a few TFC guys who should hide a real hundred dollar bill and a book of matches in their kit and then light the bill afire after a bad play resulting in a goal against or a missed sitter: I guess they would have to hide a lot of bills!

Good idea, but to take that even further I think the currency used should not necessarily be the Canadian dollar but should actually be the currency of the nation that the player in question originates from, so as to reflect the multinational flavour of the club and (where those players are foreigners) emphasize that they aren't just overpaid, but overpaid foreigners taking the spots of Canadians.

In the event that the matches are not allowed on the field, I think just throwing the money away would be an adequate substitute gesture.

Good idea, but to take that even further I think the currency used should not necessarily be the Canadian dollar but should actually be the currency of the nation that the player in question originates from, so as to reflect the multinational flavour of the club and (where those players are foreigners) emphasize that they aren't just overpaid, but overpaid foreigners taking the spots of Canadians.

In the event that the matches are not allowed on the field, I think just throwing the money away would be an adequate substitute gesture.

I like it. It would introduce the fans to such exotic currencies as kunas, lats, and rubles!

Archived