Dero demands more money in a goal celebration

CanadianSoccerFan

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He deserves it, plain and simple.

Sure, but should he be raising these issues in a critical game? A critical game, and a critical moment in the game. Meanwhile SJ scores right after. Better to do it when things are decided one way or the other.

I thought it was kinda silly. The timing is disturbing, really. But then, look at the team. This team is really messed up... just another mess to add to the giant mess ball.

Not exactly the definition of class and leadership, but on the other hand you can see where he is coming from.

This is a must win game...you're team's down by two and you score a goal (albeit a quality finish) to get the momentum back....and then you do that kind of goal celebration? Sorry, I'll take the minority opinion here and voice my thumbs down on that stunt.

^ What I originally was going to write was "You stay classy, De Ro", but felt that would draw the ire of most of the TFC set. Like Grizzly and others on these boards, I'm not the biggest De Ro fan. It's due to less than inspired play for the MNT over the last 3 years, and some perceived attitude issues. But he is the MVP of TFC and probably deserves better. In the middle of a critical match which was far from decided is definitely not the time to make that point. It's something that should have been addressed in the off-season.

He should probably get a bump contract-wise, but TFC should be very careful about the length of any future deal as he is reaching the age when footballers' abilities tend to fall of pretty dramatically.

He probably thought he might not get another chance to show how unhappy he was! And to show up management (not that anyone thinks much of them) ... how sad is that? Hey, I scored in this critical game, but, wait a second, let's talk, I'm unhappy!

Shows one thing, he's an impulsive guy. And he must be unhappy. Strangely he didn't raise these issues before.. somewhat odd because of that, to wait until this point. The emotions on the team must be like boiling water left on the stove until all boils off and the handle of the pot begins to melt.

This is a must win game...you're team's down by two and you score a goal (albeit a quality finish) to get the momentum back....and then you do that kind of goal celebration? Sorry, I'll take the minority opinion here and voice my thumbs down on that stunt.

+100

I can't believe he did that. That's one silly move from DeRo. There's no way you can defend him, no way.

I can't wait to read PJ opinion on this.

This is over the top stupid on De Ro’s part, unbelievably classless display. If he wants more money he can negotiate that in the offseason, but this just illustrates he has an “all about me” attitude. I am not sure if you can build a successful team with a leader like that

Preki was wondering the same thing....

Maybe he just wants to be pen pals with you ;)

Seriously not the best of celebrations. Go back to the chicken dance thing. Maybe he had a 12 goal clause in his contract. Get 12 or more and you get the bonus. Kidding aside it was dumb in many ways.

At 32 he has a couple more years in him and he is producing as advertised. How much longer does TFC have him on contract for? He was out there giving it his usual effort and that was one hell of a nice touch shot he did there. Never misses the playoffs until he comes to Toronto. Watches as MLSE bring in Mista for how much for 1/2 a season while he gets less than that for the whole season. I can understand his frustration but still a dumb time and way to show it.

I can't help but think of what might have been for TFC this year. The players who replaced Wynne and Jimmy B at the 2 wing back positions are nowhere near as good and have been defensive liabilities most of the season.

PS. Seattle 1 - Chicago 0 so TFC are now 7 points behind with 1 less game than Colorado. See ya next year and good luck in the CCL.

Absolutely.

True enough, but he's in a tough spot to negotiate from. By that I mean he's 32 years old with two years (?) left in his contract. He's in great shape and looks like he could go on forever and all but that's never the case.

Still, I'd think at least half the teams in MLS would be willing to take him on as a DP. Not for de Guzman style money but with a sizable increase from his current earnings.

And why not? The franchise is a money printing machine, is increasing ticket prices (a-gin) for next season and has shown it's willing to pay serious coin on speculative moves bringing in players so what should a proven 10+ goal scorer earn?

Regardless of what anyone thinks of DDR if he decides enough is enough and takes his "act" elsewhere TFC loses a player who's scored roughly half their goals this season. Half.

Good luck replacing that.

Maybe he shoudln't have signed a 4 year contract. I hate it when players sign long term contracts, and then one or two years in they act like they deserve a raise. No, you signed a contract, live with it.

And him doing this stunt makes me wonder if perhaps the team itself would be better off wothout a trouble maker like that on the roster.

More fuel for my earlier speculation about him going into the huff after the Mista signing. Time for TFC to move him on, in my opinion. I don't think a stunt like this in the middle of what was a vital potentially season defining game for the team can be tolerated. If he wanted the really big money he should have taken the extended trial with Blackburn Rovers rather than signing with MLS to return to the Dynamo again. Ultimately he only has himself to blame if his career hasn't been as lucrative as it could have been.

It was obvious by webstream but the full significance of it didn't register with me at the time because I was too into the game to think about that angle. His quote leaves no room for doubt about it in the CBC story though:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2010/09/25/sp-dero-contract.html

What was he trying to communicate? Simple: He wants a pay raise.

“That’s what it was,” De Rosario said of the significance of the unusual gesture.

“I think I’ve shown my commitment to this team and this city and this franchise. It’s time for [the club] to show me some commitment as well.”

Archived