Dero demands more money in a goal celebration

CanadianSoccerFan

i totally agree with you grizz! he was and is making the national team worse. what he does in the mls, is no wear close to what he does with the national team. he is a very good mls player, but this league is way way way behind any other league in the world. that is exactly why he never played in europe(3rd league germany does not count). if i look back at the recent national teams matches, the gold cup was by far their best performance... for passing, working together and tactical positioning on the field... yet, DDR was not there. In montreal this past month, they played much better without DDR, because it gives the team the chance to play freely and no always have to wait 10 extra seconds to get the ball because DDR is doing some stupid trick.... he never played in europe because he holds on to the ball way too much and slows down the flow of the game with that sort of play...just go back and look at the games and you guys will see it as well.

example: Austria 2006, spain 2005, gold cup 2009(better because he was not there), argentina 2010, gold cup 2005(soooooo bad), honduras every year!!! just a few.... playing well vs Saint-Vincente does not count. even i can play well vs them

The question is how much his attitude is affecting the rest of his teammates. TFC is a team which as a whole doesn't have a good attitude and when the captain also has a poor attitude that doesn't help. It is not even about whether he sulks or not but whether he is really showing the proper example to the rest of his teammates particularly the younger ones. Yes, he usually gives and effort and works hard but is he working hard for the team or doing his own thing? Plus, regardless of the goals he scores, when he is not scoring he is mostly a negative on the pitch due to his selfish play and this often negates the positive of his goals. Although not exact in all details I think the Yashin comparison is apt and remember that the Sens played much better in the year that Yashin sat out despite all predictions to the contrary. Then Yashin came back and scored a lot of goals but the team as a whole played worse. I think if TFC could get a good young player like Johnson who would also clear some salary cap room that it would be a good deal for them.

DeRo has almost always played poorly for the national team especially against strong opposition and there have always been a lot of questions about his attitude and negative influence on teammates. As far as his ability on the field the only role I could see for him now is as a substitute striker to bring on in the last 15 minutes of a game when we need a goal and the opposing defenders are tired. However, I think this gesture confirms 100% all the questions we have had about DeRo's attitude in the past. If I were Hart he would never play another MNT game again after making this gesture. His attitude is not worth his mediocre contribution to the national team and we play better as a team without him. With young players like Jackson who have a better attitude and are more skilled, why should DeRo get called again?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DeRosario finally apologizes at least to his teammates:

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2010/09/captains-passion-remains

...De Rosario has been in the news this week following his goal celebration in the match against San Jose last weekend, and during the interview on The FAN, he acknowledged it was something he shouldn’t have done.

“At that point in time it wasn’t the right thing to do but I was coming off emotion and I reacted in that way. It was out of frustration and I apologized to my teammates. I don’t condone the gesture that I did. As professional athletes you are in a position where you get judged. Some people with agree with you and some disagree, that is the nature of anything in life. It’s unfortunate that people see the one wrong you do and tend to judge you off that and not look at the good things you do.”

but not as far as I can see to the fans or to the MLSE corporate types he aimed the gesture at. I suspect we'll have to wait until the season ticket renewal and seat allocation process is finished and the new GM is in place to see what the repercussions on this if any are eventually going to be.

DeRosario finally apologizes at least to his teammates:

<snip>

but not as far as I can see to the fans or to the MLSE corporate types he aimed the gesture at. I suspect we'll have to wait until the season ticket renewal and seat allocation process is finished and the new GM is in place to see what the repercussions on this if any are eventually going to be.

It's a good start. I don't know if he should apologize to the fans or not; I don't think he has to apologize to the suits. But dealing with the on field and locker room repercussions is an absolute must if he's going to captain this, or any other, team down the line.

I don't know if he should apologize to the fans or not; I don't think he has to apologize to the suits.

Oh I think he does. He should apologize to the people who paid his "low-level" salary: the "suits" and the fans.

He does acknowledge that what he did WAS bone-headed. He should know not to bite the hands that feed him. If he's underpaid, complain to his agent. Don't embarass your boss.

Some DDR stats for a bit of context:

#3 (tied) - GOALS (12)

#3 (tied) - GAME-WINNING GOALS (4)

#2 (tied) - MULTI-GOAL GAMES (3)

#1 - CONSECUTIVE GAMES WITH GOALS (5)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*From: http://www.mlssoccer.com/content/2010-full-season-stats

There are other stats worth looking at. For example, compared with other midfield/forward hybrids with similar goal totals, he is shockingly low in the assists charts. Donovan has 14, Schelotto has about 8. An out and out striker like Casey even has 5. De Ro has 3. For a guy that has the ball as much as Dwayne does, he has done little to provide for others on his team.

Of course, it doesn't help when the biggest waste of space in MLS, OBW, is on the end of his passes.

Archived