Dero demands more money in a goal celebration

CanadianSoccerFan

Regardless if it wasn't a class move, kottonihavemunchies is right, another team will take him in a heartbeat.

But I doubt we'll found any taker for much more than what he is making. The reason why DeRo pulled that stunt is because Mo overpaid JDG and Mista. He won't find that situation in another club.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In a league where a very sizable portion of the players are on 40 to 70k, I suspect there is likely to be considerable resentment towards a player who complains in the middle of a game about making only $443,750 plus money from endorsements and corporate appearances. That's more than somebody like Dan Gargan might make in his entire career.

Nobody on that sad sack team has earned a raise and certainly making a public display of it like that is classless. But then why should we expect anything different.

TFC is a busines and DeRo an employee...one of the better ones to boot. If his employers are free to raise ticket prices despite a sad sack team, then DeRo is free to pursue a higher salary. And pursue it in whatever way the market will bear. Why do you hold DeRo to a different standard than MLSE?

In all honesty there's only two gamebreakers/savers on TFC, if anyone plays like a DP its DeRo, Without him and Frei TFC would be in shambles.

If he wants more money give it to him or another team in the MLS will.

Apparently Preki wanted to purge Dero and Frei if you can believe it. Where would they be without those 2? It was the wrong time and place to make the statement but he gives 100% in spite of other players brought in for double and triple his salary pretty much stinking.

TFC are royally screwed. Look at the situation: Attakora, Cann, Frei, Dero have all performed very well and all will be leaving when their contracts are up unless paid more. That is the core of the team.

Preki was a disaster for TFC. Just the icing on Mo's cake.

To be honest, I don't think anyone in the crowd noticed him doing it. I certainly didn't.

I noticed it.. I dont think it matters though. He wont have the same leverage next year when Canadians and american count for same as far as domestic spots. What I dont get is, why didn't he ask for that kind of money when he negociated his current contract? no one would have argued against it based on his past performance in MLS. But for someone who is not far off from beyond his peak perfomance years, i could see the reluctance now in giving him the money.

TFC is a busines and DeRo an employee...one of the better ones to boot. If his employers are free to raise ticket prices despite a sad sack team, then DeRo is free to pursue a higher salary. And pursue it in whatever way the market will bear. Why do you hold DeRo to a different standard than MLSE?
He can pursue all he likes, doesn't mean he or anybody else on the team warrants it based on team performance - how many years and never made the playoffs? 8 wins out of 26 games so far? You're obviously not an employer.

This is over the top stupid on De Ro’s part, unbelievably classless display. If he wants more money he can negotiate that in the offseason, but this just illustrates he has an “all about me” attitude. I am not sure if you can build a successful team with a leader like that

Preki was wondering the same thing....

But that doesn't erase the fact that the real problem was Preki more than any other person in the organisation. I agree that DeRo has a bad attitude "it'a about me" and also the timing to protest was wrong and his a classless man by doing that... Hell, I wouldn't even mind if he's not called anymore to play for our NMT but all this doesn't justify TFC management to get rid of a player like him. I believe he's very important to the organisation and to the city. Maybe his time with our NMT is done (altought I understand many peolple will disagree with me) but his time with TFC is not done yet.

That said, I'd like to know how much will make DeRo happy and how much the organisation is ready to pay.

I think it's kind of cute, how De Rosario signs a four-year contract, and now wants more money. You can say he's the heart of the team, and how they'd be nowhere without him, but it's worth noting that they are nowhere WITH him. He's under contract for two more seasons, which sounds like a great commitment from the club if you ask me. This whole thing wreaks of the crap he pulled before the Mexico game.

To do this in a such a meaningful game, at a point when they were still trailing is pretty dumb too. They were losing. He scored a goal to cut the lead in half. This type of stunt should happen when you score a goal that really means something.

At 32 years old, the fact is that he is on borrowed time. He surely can play for many more years, but I would be shocked if he continues to perform so well next season and beyond. There is no way that he should get a new contract.

He can pursue all he likes, doesn't mean he or anybody else on the team warrants it based on team performance - how many years and never made the playoffs? You're obviously not an employer.

Been there done that Richard. I simply do not distinguish between business motives and employee motives as you appear to. Both DeRo, in his demands despite a sad sack team, and MLSE, in their raising ticket prices despite a sad sack team are acting in ways that are contrary to good business practices (and that is most definitely not focusing on short term profit as is so popular among businesses today) It is, to start, simplistic to suggest the second leading scorer in the league should be judged soley by team results in the sports environment. It is hardly DeRo's fault that his employer sucks (lousy GM, lousy coach, lousy employee recruitment). Why shoud he suffer because his bosses are incapable of putting a decent product on the field? I trust you certainly don't believe that management has nothing to do with business results? DeRo is pursuing what he thinks the market will bear, just as MLSE is pursuing what they think the market will bear. MLSE has more leverage than DeRo, simply because they do not have a locked in contract with their ticket holders. Nevertheless, their motivations are identical so I hardly see how one attempting to increase their revenues, despite a product that doesn't warrant it is any different, than another. Now if you had come at it from the angle of "he has a contract, he should honour it" we would not be disagreeing. Undoubtedly DeRo would not be giving back a portion if he had played poorly this season.

And for the record, I disapprove of DeRo's antics just as much as I disapprove of MLSE's ticket gouging. I believe that both actions will come back to bite them in their asses. Time will tell I suppose. Of course, I am foolish enough to believe a contract is a contract, and that businesses have stakeholders (customers, employees, community) in addition to shareholders. I have always been a fan of great businesses over good businesses.

I noticed it.. I dont think it matters though. He wont have the same leverage next year when Canadians and american count for same as far as domestic spots. What I dont get is, why didn't he ask for that kind of money when he negociated his current contract? no one would have argued against it based on his past performance in MLS. But for someone who is not far off from beyond his peak perfomance years, i could see the reluctance now in giving him the money.

Having now seen it (on video replay) I can't say I like the gesture either and I think it looks selfish - definitely ill-timed. On the other hand, with now 12 of team's 26 goals in MLS play (not counting V-Cup and C-league goals) it's clear that he's not really let it get in the way of his productivity this year.

He can pursue all he likes, doesn't mean he or anybody else on the team warrants it based on team performance - how many years and never made the playoffs? 8 wins out of 26 games so far? You're obviously not an employer.

Whoah there cowboy.

Things are what they are but capable management (ie the employer) has to be sure they're correct in where they attach the blame for shortcomings. The man is sitting on 12 league goals (an impressive number) on a club which has scored 26 goals (a less than impressive number). He's done his bit. More than his bit. In spades, and like it or not TFC has gone out and hired players, unproven players on speculation at great expense whilst DDR has been delivered the goods. End of story.

If DDR isn't worth DP salary with what he's delivered to TFC through very difficult times then I'd say that pretty much tells Mr de Rossario everything he needs to know about TFC and his future with them. Loooong past time he sat down and really considered his position with this club.

He'll take his "clown act" elsewhere, maybe for more money, maybe not but either way it'll leave TFC out trying to find a goal scoring replacement. Which of course shouldn't be a problem because they're so easy to come by in this game.

It's all a result of paying some other guys too much. It threw the order out of whack. In other words, yet another example of mismanagement. This club needs someone with vision.

I thought it interesting, someone wondered if DeRo would have pulled the stunt if Preki was still coach. If not, isn't this a bit of an insult to Dasovic? If Dero wasn't looking at him as he did it, he was darn close, and it couldn't have felt great even if it wasn't directed at him personally.

It's all a result of paying some other guys too much. It threw the order out of whack. In other words, yet another example of mismanagement. This club needs someone with vision.

I thought it interesting, someone wondered if DeRo would have pulled the stunt if Preki was still coach. If not, isn't this a bit of an insult to Dasovic? If Dero wasn't looking at him as he did it, he was darn close, and it couldn't have felt great even if it wasn't directed at him personally.

If I'm Dasovic, next game I bench DeRo for his antics. I don't care if the goals will be tougher to get, DeRo needs to be punished for this. Frei or Cann should get the armband.

Whoah there cowboy.

Things are what they are but capable management (ie the employer) has to be sure they're correct in where they attach the blame for shortcomings. The man is sitting on 12 league goals (an impressive number) on a club which has scored 26 goals (a less than impressive number). He's done his bit. More than his bit. In spades, and like it or not TFC has gone out and hired players, unproven players on speculation at great expense whilst DDR has been delivered the goods. End of story.

If DDR isn't worth DP salary with what he's delivered to TFC through very difficult times then I'd say that pretty much tells Mr de Rossario everything he needs to know about TFC and his future with them. Loooong past time he sat down and really considered his position with this club.

He'll take his "clown act" elsewhere, maybe for more money, maybe not but either way it'll leave TFC out trying to find a goal scoring replacement. Which of course shouldn't be a problem because they're so easy to come by in this game.

His behaviour was nothing short of public insubordination, intolerable for any employer no matter who the employee.

Champions League or Bust!

http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/2010/09/champions-league-or-bust/

Even though there is still a mathematical chance, the 2010 MLS Playoffs are now out of reach for Toronto FC after losing Saturday at home to the San Jose Earthquakes. In this edition of the video blog I take a quick look back at the match, I agree with DeRo and his wish to get a raise but disagree with the tactics and I make a call for TFC to go all out for what is left this season to build upon for 2011, namely the chance to qualify for the knockout stages of the CONCACAF Champions League.

If I'm Dasovic, next game I bench DeRo for his antics. I don't care if the goals will be tougher to get, DeRo needs to be punished for this. Frei or Cann should get the armband.

In soccer can the goalkeeper wear the armband? I know in hockey that's verboten.

I'd keep DeRo in the lineup and strip him of the band. It probably would mean more to the team to show where the leadership lies. If he sulks then sub him out early and leave him out for the next game. And the next. And then wait and see what happens.

Incidentally, nothing to argue with PJ in that article.

What a shocker - star professional athlete demanding a new contract while in the middle of an existing one and showing a lack of class. From reading this thread you'd think this was the very first time this had ever happened, grow up people - this is the reality of pro sports no matter what anyone's opinion here is, I may not like it but I'll still be watching. I think the biggest crime is this team not being able to make any real improvements since year one.

Archived