Argentina - Canada May 24

Sam

Just because he won a friendly against Germany? I don't think so. I was tempted to believe that but after the game there was this funny incident... In Germany, it seems to be usual to make press conferences with players and coaches, when Maradona realizes there's a "person" besides him he wants to leave because he's used to do conferences alone. Not only he hasn't education at all but also he proved a lack of responsability as a coach. That "person" was a German player and it looks like Maradona didn't know all the players his side was playing against!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_Whz5MiV58

Well, if you have watched their last 6 or so games, you can see what he's trying to do. He's transforming Argentina from their current style of play to emphasize more athleticism in their game. Brazil went through the same painfull process throughout the late 80s and early 90s after their failure in 1982, despite playing really well. He's making them shift away from their attractive style of play to a more pragmatic one. You can see this with wingers like Jonas and Angel Di Maria. They are more athletic than any guys they have had in the last 5 or so years, and they back track like mother f*ckers. It will work out in the end.

Also, because of that incident, it changed your mind about the way the team is progressing? Seriously? Why does some random German player come into his press conference?

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, because of that incident, it changed your mind about the way the team is progressing? Seriously? Why does some random German player come into his press conference?

Yes, it has because it means the coach, as a strategist, didn't do his homework correctly. But on the rest that you wrote, I must say I agree on your assumption on the athletiscism (by athletiscism, I mean big, tall players) way of play, of course it will work in the end. Brazil understood this years ago and that's why they are far better than Argentina today. However, I can't say what's really on Maradona's mind, I don't know if understands this and what he's trying to do exactly but I can say he's giving a chance to many players, too many and that could be dangerous for team chemistry.

Yes, it has because it means the coach, as a strategist, didn't do his homework correctly. But on the rest that you wrote, I must say I agree on your assumption on the athletiscism (by athletiscism, I mean big, tall players) way of play, of course it will work in the end. Brazil understood this years ago and that's why they are far better than Argentina today. However, I can't say what's really on Maradona's mind, I don't know if understands this and what he's trying to do exactly but I can say he's giving a chance to many players, too many and that could be dangerous for team chemistry.

Yeah, athletic as in tall and fast. Brazil did understand this and that's why they became successful again in recent times no doubt. However, I wouldn't say they are far better than Argentina. I mean, Argentina were the better team from 2005-2007.

Yeah, athletic as in tall and fast. Brazil did understand this and that's why they became successful again in recent times no doubt. However, I wouldn't say they are far better than Argentina. I mean, Argentina were the better team from 2005-2007.

First of all, fast has nothing to do with size or height, I don't why you did mention speed. Second, Brazil has 5 WC and that's enough said, but also since years, and specially since I recall by myself, I saw Brazil win more times against Argentina than his opponent. If you can access to games results between the two since their beginnings, Argentina is the team with most wins but today is another history, Brazil proved to be far better than Argentina in the Copa America of these last years beating their A team with a B or C team.

First of all, fast has nothing to do with size or height, I don't why you did mention speed. Second, Brazil has 5 WC and that's enough said, but also since years, and specially since I recall by myself, I saw Brazil win more times against Argentina than his opponent. If you can access to games results between the two since their beginnings, Argentina is the team with most wins but today is another history, Brazil proved to be far better than Argentina in the Copa America of these last years beating their A team with a B or C team.

First of all, I mention speed because it is one of the things that encompasses athleticism like endurance and agility. Being big and tall has nothing to do with being athletic.

Second of all, all I said was that they were the better team in 2005-2007, which they were. They had their best squad out during the 2007 Copa America, but the squad Brazil brought was practically the current A team minus a few players like Kaka and Lucio. Also, Argentina were the much better team throughout the tourament and were heavy favourites going into the final. Brazil had a lot of luck on their side with Requelme hitting the post and Ayala scoring in his own net right afterwards. Had Requelme scored, the result would've been very different.

Anyhow, I was just protesting how you said Brazil are far better today, which I took exception to. Better? Yes. Far better? No.

First of all, I mention speed because it is one of the things that encompasses athleticism like endurance and agility. Being big and tall has nothing to do with being athletic.

Second of all, all I said was that they were the better team in 2005-2007, which they were. They had their best squad out during the 2007 Copa America, but the squad Brazil brought was practically the current A team minus a few players like Kaka and Lucio. Also, Argentina were the much better team throughout the tourament and were heavy favourites going into the final. Brazil had a lot of luck on their side with Requelme hitting the post and Ayala scoring in his own net right afterwards. Had Requelme scored, the result would've been very different.

Anyhow, I was just protesting how you said Brazil are far better today, which I took exception to. Better? Yes. Far better? No.

That's like saying "they were practically the US A team minus Donovan and Dempsey"...aka the B Team.

And Brazil is easily a significantly better team than Argentina. Both in the intangibles of teamwork, and the tangibles of technical skill. There's no dispute in my mind over whether or not Brazil is a vastly superior side to Argentina. There were never any questions as to whether Brazil would qualify for the 2010 World Cup.

That's like saying "they were practically the US A team minus Donovan and Dempsey"...aka the B Team.

And Brazil is easily a significantly better team than Argentina. Both in the intangibles of teamwork, and the tangibles of technical skill. There's no dispute in my mind over whether or not Brazil is a vastly superior side to Argentina. There were never any questions as to whether Brazil would qualify for the 2010 World Cup.

I'm talking about the last little while. I'm not denying they're a better team right now. I'm just taking into account the last ten years or so. However, even with that in mind, the two teams aren't as far apart as you think. 5-6 months ago, Brazil were vastly better. Now? It's closer than what most people think. Granted, Brazil still have the better side right now.

He knows what he's trying to do. As for giving a lot of players chances, he had to do that in order to let the players choose themsevles. Di Maria and Jonas are probably two guys who are locks on the team now.

HERE ARE THE LATEST DEVELOPMENTS FROM THE CDN EMBASSY IN BA:

Tickets to the public go on sale Monday. The Embassy is going to announce to the AFA tomorrow how many Canadian Staff and Contacts will attend, they will then proceed to buy the tickets Monday, staff only. HENCE, for now, the ticket outlet TICKTEK are selling Cdn seats for the visiting supporters where the embassy staff will have seats in the Centenario section, which I was told were good seats at a price of 120 pesos ($40 CDN?).

Also they are planning to have a get together with the players who are rumoured to be there by the 18th. I don't know the date they plan to do this. They are not getting this info from the CSA as they have not spoken with them yet.

The Cdn embassy wants to know how many Cdn Voyaguer supporters are coming,

For now, tickets for ex pats and Cdn supporters can't be purchased at the embassy and are to be purchased at Ticketek where we are all supposed to be sitting together.

http://http://www.ticketek.com.ar/Deportes/Futbol/LA-GRAN-FIESTA-DE-ARGENTINA__BICENTENARI

Just watched soccercentral and Dobson had an interview with DeRo who said he talked with SH and Preki about him playing that game. It could be a good thing if TFC let JDG and DeRo attend the game.

The game is on the 24th and TFC have games on the 22 and 29th. I guess it's possible to allow DeRo to leave after the May 22 game but a better solution would be taking a red card on the game before that ;)

BTW, Champions League final is on the 22, there's a big chance we won't see Messi against Canada.

The game is on the 24th and TFC have games on the 22 and 29th. I guess it's possible to allow DeRo to leave after the May 22 game but a better solution would be taking a red card on the game before that ;)
I can't imagine they should let DeRo or de Guzman miss important league games for a meaningless international friendly, which will also be missing big stars such as Messi. The difference between a win and a loss against New England could make a winning season and a losing season for TFC. We are already going to likely loose both of them ... and the centre defense, for the away games against Dallas and Chicago. Hmm ... I better go watch SoccerCentral ...

I can't imagine they should let DeRo or de Guzman miss important league games for a meaningless international friendly, which will also be missing big stars such as Messi. The difference between a win and a loss against New England could make a winning season and a losing season for TFC. We are already going to likely loose both of them ... and the centre defense, for the away games against Dallas and Chicago. Hmm ... I better go watch SoccerCentral ...

My theory is TFC would let go one or two players for the Argentina game in between their 2 MLS games. So the players wouldn't miss any MLS action but of course they would be a little bit tired for the last game.

Of course, I doubt Preki would accept that but maybe DeRo willingness to attend could have a certain impact on the decision. Anyways, I would understand if no TFC players attended the game and that would be just normal.

My theory is TFC would let go one or two players for the Argentina game in between their 2 MLS games. So the players wouldn't miss any MLS action but of course they would be a little bit tired for the last game.
Hmm ...

We play New England at BMO Field on Saturday. It's an afternoon game ... so in theory players could catch a direct Air Canada flight just before midnight that would arrive in Buenos Aires about 2 pm Sunday afternoon, giving them plenty of time to prepare for a Monday (presumably afternoon) game.

And if they don't stick around for the Venezuela game, they could be in Toronto by Wednesday (or Tuesday if the game is relatively early on Monday). Get's them to the game, with not too much impact I suppose. But for the CSA would they prefer the players were there for a few hours, or participating in the training camp?

DeRo seemed pretty keen in the interview.

Argentina´s All Domestic squad for next Wednesday´s friendly in Neuquen (small city in the North of Patagonia, getting ready for the cold) against Haiti, the last before the match with us. I expect that about 20 to 30% of these players will be on the bench against Canada (none would normally start for Argentina, and would only start if the Euro-Argies are really exhausted). 9 pm local here , 8 pm Eastern DT if you get it there on television, maybe just on Satellite TV. Of course, it will be on about 5 or 6 local stations here simultaneously.

However, there are rumours in the press that the match may be cancelled for various reasons, buy it has not been officially cancelled by the AFA. The first division clubs here are really upset about having to cram in the end of the season early because of FIFA´s pre-WC clearance rules (mysteriously inapplicable in lawless North America), and have been causing some grief.

--------------------

Según se había publicado en varios medios de comunicación, el encuentro entre la selección de Argentina y Haiti, había sido cancelado por diferentes motivos.

Pero al parecer el partido nunca fue cancelado oficialmente, ya que la AFA ha publicado en su web información sobre el mismo.

Finalmente el encuentro está pautado para el miércoles 05 de Mayo en el Estadio del Club Alianza. Cuatral Co - Provincia de Neuquén

Horario Argentina Vs. Haití = 21.00 hrs ( Argentina)

Lista de Convocados:

Arqueros:

Luciano Monzón (Boca Juniors)

Adrián Gabbarini (Independiente)

Diego Pozo (Colón).

Defensores:

Matías Caruzzo (Argentinos Juniors)

Paolo Goltz (Huracán)

Juan Manuel Insaurralde (Newell’s Old Boys)

Ariel Garcé (Colón).

Volantes:

Juan Mercier (Argentinos Juniors)

Patricio Toranzo (Huracán)

Facundo Bertoglio (Colón)

Sebastián Blanco (Lanús)

Nicolás Olmedo (Godoy Cruz).

Leonel Vangioni (Newell’s Old Boys)

Delanteros:

Martín Palermo (Boca Juniors)

Franco Jara (Arsenal)

Juan Pablo Pereyra (Atlético Tucumán).