Argentina - Canada May 24

Sam

Has anyone travelled in Argentina at all? Is it fairly safe? Is it inexpensive. I am attracted by the possibility of heading down for this game. Especially if Argentina is bringing their A squad in prep for the WC

My good friend went to a Superclásico match in La Bombonera. He said it was the craziest experience ever. Whole blocks of streets around the stadium get closed and alcohol becomes a contraband within the stadium. However, I doubt a match with Canada will bring any of that. Anyhow, he said the area wasn't too bad. You just have to be smart and keep your head about you like any other city in the world.

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't want to put a damper on all this happy news but it has been suggested to me by someone in the know that no one should be booking a trip to Buenos Aires just yet.

I personally believe that this match is going to happen, based on the info I've gathered from a couple of sources, but apparently it is not signed, sealed and delivered yet and we all know how these kinds of negotiations can fall apart. So, for now, I have fingers firmly crossed.

What I do know is that the CSA is pushing to book two matches during this May window and are negotiating with a number of countries to make that happen.

Would there be much of a travelling contingent (this is something I'd love to travel for)...would it be safe (I heard the Argentina game would be in River Plate's stadium (yuk it has a track around it))

I'll bet Chile for the second May friendly and..... Engerland for Septembre

I have been thinking Chile as well, and that would be the team I'd love to see...Arturo Vidal is very entertaining.

Would there be much of a travelling contingent (this is something I'd love to travel for)...would it be safe (I heard the Argentina game would be in River Plate's stadium (yuk it has a track around it)).

Eh I was tossing this one around the other day. One thing about following the CMNT is that all of the away friendlies give many opportunities to see some awesome parts of the world while seeing the boys.

Flights to Buenos Aries out of Vancouver are running about $1200 return. Throw in another $450 for me to get to Vancouver and back and it's just a bit too expensive for me right now. A 5-day trip would run about $2250 I'm guessing - splurging on entertainment and nightlife but slumming it one of the hostels. But what a trip it would be if I could swing it. It's not every day we play in South America.

For what it's worth, I absolutely love road trips and I would love to drive south through the States and Mexico and into Central America for a match. If given enough notice I think I could make it work - either for TFC or Canada. A drive to Honduras or Guatemala would be epic.

I was just checking Air Canada for flights to Argentina when I saw this:

Effective December 28, 2009, Argentina charges a reciprocity fee to citizens of Canada, the U.S. and Australia arriving at Ministro Pistarini de Ezeiza International Airport in Buenos Aires.

The fee applies as follows:

* Canadian citizens: $70 USD (valid for one entry only)

* U.S. citizens: $131 USD (valid for ten years)

* Australian citizens: $100 USD (valid for one entry only)

The fee does not apply to Canadian, Australian or US citizens:

* with legal residence in Argentina,

* who hold a passport with an Argentine consular visa,

* who hold an official or diplomatic passport.

The fee is payable in cash or by credit card, traveller’s cheque or ARS (Argentine Peso) upon arrival at booths positioned in the immigration arrivals hall.

Air Canada recommends that travellers consult their local Argentina consular representatives before departure for entry requirements as they are subject to change

Thats another 80 bucks added to the flight, in addition to the taxes and fees

it's a long flight from Toronto (about 12 hours) so the price is about right.

If I wanted to go, I could stay with my mom's friends (my mother was raised in Buenos Aires) so that would cut some cost.

To answer Prizby's question about how safe such a trip would be:

Buenos Aires is neither the safest or most dangerous cities in the world. You have to have your wits about you but I wouldn't be any more concerned about travelling to BA than I would be travelling to any other major city. Every big city has its issues. The economy in ARG isn't great so petty crime is a growing concern but, again, no different than travelling to Mexico City, Rio, Santiago, Caracas, Bogota, etc.... If you speak the language, it always helps

so what if you don't speak the lang...i have very broken espanol

i wasn't think safety as in the city...i was more thinking about the fans and being in the stadium and being predominately out numbered (having seen Danny Dyer's Real Football Factories International...just a little spooked i guess)

^ I wouldn't worry too much about being in stadium. I don't imagine a match vs. Canada is going to evoke the type of passion that a match vs. Uruguay or Brazil would an not even close to the craziness that would break out for a Superclassico.

Hi all, just got back from vacation for 3 weeks to see all these changes.... wow!

First I heard about the match on May 25 too. I live about 1,100 km from Buenos Aires in the wine district of Mendoza, foothills of the Andes. May or may not take the bus down (15 to 18 hours), too expensive to fly (for domestic flights, they charge foreigners about twice what the locals pay).

Bummer about the new reciprocity fees at the BA airport (Chile has had them for years at the Sabtiago airport only, even higher, US $132, for Canadians).

In terms of the match, never go to the platforma/terraces , they are too dangerous (full of thieves, it is open season on everyone, and the police do not enter the terraces). Get tickets in the Platea, the grandstands. I would suggest not getting tickets to an away terrace if there is one, as that is where the robbers gather. Generally, though, it would not be dangerous to be a Canada supporter, not a rivalry, and in fact I think we would be treated very friendly by the Argie fans in such circumstances.

BA and Argentina are relatively safe.

I am personnally hoping that they relocate the match closer to me, such as Mendoza or Cordoba, where the weather would approximate more the conditions in South Africa. Believe me, Argentina is the land of last minute changes or cancellations.

I would love to get together again with some fellow V's if I go!

Not necessarliy. The Canadians did not have away sections in most of the WCQ's (in San Pedro de Sula, Hionduras, for example)

Only if the visiting teamFA/club requests an away section is it usually provided, especially for internationals. This is important work in many countries, but the CSA usually does not bother, both because of the usual low number of travelling Canadian fans, and, well because it is the CSA who avoid any complications (usually the assignment of requested away section tickets have to be arranged, through agents of whatever, by the away FA).

Someone should contact the CSA to try to get them to request such a section in the policed platea/grandstand, with a system that will ensure that only true away fans will get the tickets). In Argentina, anyone can get the tickets for the away sections for the less popular sides, and these are the sections that robbers thrive in with impunity. They gwill probably ignore the request, but it may be worth trying.

Argentina 3-2 Costa Rica

Argentina: Clemente Rodríguez, Carlos Matheu, Guillermo Burdisso, Fabián Monzón, Walter Erviti, José Sosa, Juan Mercier, Nicolás Gaitán, Gabriel Hauche y Martín Palermo.

Costa Rica: Keylor Navas, Darío Delgado, Esteban Maitlan, Oscar Esteban Granados, Michael Barrantes, Douglas Sequeira, Cristian Gamboa, Bryan Oviedo, Juan Diego Monge, Daniel Jiménez, Marco Ureña.

Argies with a C team. Don't bet on many, if any of these players being on the final 23-man squad. Costa Rica with a lot of U20 players in their squad, they're going to be really good in U23 qualifying. I caught the last 15 minutes, right after Argentina scored to make it 3-2 and it looked like a decent game.

No official confirmation yet, but the government of Argentina is planning a huge celebration with other activities at Stadium with presence of President (may 25 is Declaration of Independence holiday, and this year is the Bicentenial). This may make it difficult to get tickets unless the CSA makes arrangements for us.

see article from BA:

http://www.canchallena.com/1221947-el-seleccionado-disputara-dos-amistosos-en-el-pais-antes-de-viajar-al-mundial

Eh I was tossing this one around the other day. One thing about following the CMNT is that all of the away friendlies give many opportunities to see some awesome parts of the world while seeing the boys.

Flights to Buenos Aries out of Vancouver are running about $1200 return. Throw in another $450 for me to get to Vancouver and back and it's just a bit too expensive for me right now. A 5-day trip would run about $2250 I'm guessing - splurging on entertainment and nightlife but slumming it one of the hostels. But what a trip it would be if I could swing it. It's not every day we play in South America.

For what it's worth, I absolutely love road trips and I would love to drive south through the States and Mexico and into Central America for a match. If given enough notice I think I could make it work - either for TFC or Canada. A drive to Honduras or Guatemala would be epic.

This sounds like one hell of good trip and it sure has me thinking. Its far enough away so that you can plan well ahead and the game sounds like real experience although I would be under no illusions about he the result or outcome. But that would not dampen my overall experience because this is an international friendly against a team going to the WC and our next big matches are 4 years away. In some ways its best that way.

If anyone else wants to firm up details we can rent a apartment for a few days in BA ... and particpate in the party.

We can arrange tickets from CSA all it takes is some emails once there is a confirmation of the match.

If you speak italian BA is great city.. as it is if you speak english or french or spanish or portugese... remember you dont need a visa to fly into Argentina as a Canadian.

One question is if Buenos Aires is safe. It is safer than Los Angeles, if that answers your question. I did some digging into fares and info, so maybe this will help. Im using the dates of flying out on May 22nd to may 25th. I know its short but I thought its something for you all to work from.

Toronto- BA US$ 921- Lan chile or $1098 with delta

Van- BA US$1018 with continental with 2 stops, or 1200 with one stop

With Mexicana airlines from YVR, it can be as low as 860 dollars if you move the dates around and 618 dollars from Miami. Mexicana seems to be the lowest by far

Apartment rentals in BA is very, very cheap. About 250 dollars a week, or u can stay at IBIS hotel for about 50 dollars a night. BA is cheap in general, especially taxis.

I called ticketek about prices for the game, but they didnt even know about the game.

I may have to do a roadtrip down to BA for this game from here in Sao Paulo.

ANyone need any other info, let me know also.

I thought I would start a different thread for Travel to ARGENTINA on May 25 for those of us considering going, and leave this thread for the other aspects of this proposed match.

I will copy and paste the posts related to travel and tickets from the this thread.

I will open a corresponding thread in the baexpat forum BOTH for information for Canadians liviing in Argentina or elsewhere in South America who may want to come AND for Voyageurs who may want to get some info about Buenos Aires or whatever.

If this match goes through, I am surely going to attend. I'm working out of Lima, Peru. I've spoken to colleagues at the Cdn Embassy in Argentina and there are quite a few people interested in seeing the game. I think it will be kind of tough to get tickets since this will be Argentina's send off to their "troops" before they head to South Africa - that and what a Voyageur member stated a few posts earlier about being a very special day for Argentines. Is there not a representative of The Voyageurs who liaises with the CSA to ensure we acquire tickets in the same "away" section (not in the terrace w/ the thieves preferably)?

If this match goes through, I am surely going to attend. I'm working out of Lima, Peru. I've spoken to colleagues at the Cdn Embassy in Argentina and there are quite a few people interested in seeing the game. I think it will be kind of tough to get tickets since this will be Argentina's send off to their "troops" before they head to South Africa - that and what a Voyageur member stated a few posts earlier about being a very special day for Argentines. Is there not a representative of The Voyageurs who liaises with the CSA to ensure we acquire tickets in the same "away" section (not in the terrace w/ the thieves preferably)?

Hey, you know Moldy9, if some football fan colleague of yours at the embassy in BA contacts the CSA (and I know this would have to be done delicately) his would probably be more effective. I have had dealings with the CSA before, and at least before, they are a bit of a stuffy administration. Maybe they have improved.

This is an honour for Canada given the importance of the Bicenetennial Celebrations which are centred on this match, and I expect the embassies would alll receive invitations to attend becaus eof all the dignitaries such as Presidente Cristina (and maybe Hugo Chavez!!!!!!). There could be a request from the Canadian Embassy for a larger allottment for Canadians attending, who knows. I know that a Voyageur travelling to Honduras for the last WCQ match there sat with Canadian Embassy people. Who knows. Any suggestions from oyu or others as to how we could approach the CSA, the AFA, Canadian Embassy or whomever might be helpful.

Could I respectfully suggest that posts of this sort be put in the Travel thread, and that this thread could be kept for other aspects of the match?

Archived