Argentina - Canada May 24

Sam

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have just returned from a 2 week vacation from Argentina. The local media confirmed that the full Argentine roster will be used for the game on May 25th, unlike the recent friendly they played against Jamaica where only players from the Argentine domestic league were called up. The game against Canada is being treated as a dry run for their World Cup campaign, so they are not going to being pulling any punches. As for the city itself, Buenos Aires is wonderful and safe for visitors. One can get by with limited Spanish, although it helps out when ordering your steak (medium = a punto, well done = bien cocido).

I have just returned from a 2 week vacation from Argentina. The local media confirmed that the full Argentine roster will be used for the game on May 25th, unlike the recent friendly they played against Jamaica where only players from the Argentine domestic league were called up. The game against Canada is being treated as a dry run for their World Cup campaign, so they are not going to being pulling any punches. As for the city itself, Buenos Aires is wonderful and safe for visitors. One can get by with limited Spanish, although it helps out when ordering your steak (medium = a punto, well done = bien cocido).

Add "chimichurri" to your lexicon and you're set.

In terms of the Argentine squad, there has been some talk on some Canadian fan websites

such as http://canadiansoccerblog.ca/2010/02/12/argentina-has-may-club-v-country-clash-too/

("

Atletico Madrid qualified for its first final in ten years earlier today, beating Racing Santander to advance to the Copa del Rey final against Sevilla…. slated to be played May 26, most likely in Real Madrid’s Estadio Bernabeu.

Atletico president Enrique Cerezo has already told Argentinian journalists that star striker Sergio “Kun” Aguero will not be allowed to join the Argentinian national team for the friendly against Canada (which the report says will be played on May 24).")

that some Argentine players may not be available because of club commitments, such as Kun.

If Kun is preselected (not final selected) he will have to train and play for Argentina. FIFA has said that all preselected WC players need to be released as of May16:

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/administration/95/40/16/zirkular-1170daten2010wc-finalmatchdaymay2010e.pdf

The only stated exception is the Saturday, May 22 Champions league final, so some players like Messi may be given a rest. However, I would expect the 4 day gap would not stop many players.

EDIT: Apparently if Sevilla doe snot go to the Champions League Final, the Copa del Rey final will be May 13.

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copa_del_Rey_de_f%C3%BAtbol_2009-10

The game has been made official on TSN and RDS for May 24! Great can't wait to book my flight to Argentina.
Sorry guys, what I meant to say is that the game is now official as was reported on the TSN and RDS sites.

Yeah total bummer that we have to rely on CBC bold and Sportsnet's (that's when they do broadcast a game!) different regions too bad TSN are soccer haters because it is not in their interest to report on soccer or our national team. They're all about promoting hockey to death! But what can you say when Canada fans have to go on Cypriot/Polish/etc etc news sites to get a stream and can't even find a CSA shirt for sale :(

EXCEPT that the CSA, as often happens, has it wrong.

It is the 25th of May, the Tuesday, NOT the 24th the Monday, as stated in FIFA and Argentina. This is the National holiday, the Declaration of Independence Day (Independence Day is July 9).

MODERATORS, please change the date on the title of the thread to avoid confusion. :)

-----------------

from FIFA site:

Loading...ARGCANHead-to-Head»

Prev. Next

From 01.01.2010 To 31.12.2010 Argentina - Canada Head-to-Head»

25/05/2010 Buenos Aires Friendly

---------------

edit: I note on the old forum that the thread title says the 25th of May. When this thread was started on the new board, the OP made a mistake. It shows the influenece of the forum that many Canadian news sources and blogs, as well as the CSA, have compounded this mistake!

I was looking at the Tippeligaen schedule and we are looking at some potential keepers problems for this game. Lars probably won't be available (Valerenga plays on the 24th) so are Kenny S. and David Monsalve. I doubt we will be able to grab a North American keeper for this one with the NASL and MLS being in full season at that time. The only keepers who might be available are Al-Shaibani (currently not in our National program) and Wagenaar and I must say, not the ideal duo to go to SA to face a world power preparing for the WC.

Looking at the other Euro players, I think we'll be alright at others positions (Stalteri, Straith, Mckenna, Edgar, Kluka, De Jong, Cann, Bernier, Hutchinson, Peters, Jackson, Haber, Simpson and Friend) but maybe a little bit thin on the bench if a couple of those guys are injured.

Adam Street might go, especially if he is still the TFC back up. TFC would use a youth team keeper on the bench

EDIT: He also has a great history against Argentina, he was brilliant against the U-20s in 2008

Apparently, Street isn't with TFC anymore. Maybe someone can confirm that.

I think we will get a keeper either Stamtapolous or HOPEFULLY Monsalve

If not at worst Im sure Canada will get Greg Sutton who will likely not have a starting role this season. Some club will release a keeper to play Argentina... if Inter Turku doesn't release Monsalve in favour of a tie vs. Tampere United that would be a dumb move on their part. They'll be losing their keeper before too long. Luckily Im sure the clubs are smart and if Canada tells them that a keeper will get a starting role vs. Argentina they will oblige for one match.

This could be Canada's biggest match since WC qualifying 1993 against Mexico they should try to get guys like Hoilett etc.

I'd say a Gold Cup match against the US, Colombia or Mexico is a bigger match since its competitive also or our confederations cup match vs. Brazil

This could be Canada's biggest match since WC qualifying 1993 against Mexico they should try to get guys like Hoilett etc.

I'd say any World Cup Qualifier since 1993 was bigger. This match is big but its not a pressure filled match.

Archived