GC - July 7 - Canada vs El Salvador(R)

loyola

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

All I want to add is....THAT WAS FUN!!!!!!

what I saw put a big smile on my face for nearly the entire 2 hours

I agree, I had a great time watching that. Lotsa possession and dispossession. Very enjoyable.

Well done Hutch and JDG!

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Juby

I don't think simpson played too bad, good ideas but lacked technical precision, and it doesn't help playing next to somebody like Julian

Yes it helps that much more when you are playing next to a much crappier player.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

LOL!

Any left foot! Any old one which may wash up on shore with the tide. Especially if it came with a boot!

Seriously, the groan which went through the pub with that wide shot...agonizing.

Otherwise, great match by the man. Absolutely the best match I can recall seeing him play.

But to be honest I think El Salvador lacked some jump tonight. The ref could only do so much for them, and clearly that alone simply wasn't enough.

I'm busy reading Declan Hill's, The Fix: Soccer and Organized Crime</u>

and I must say that I find it difficult to watch matches now without wondering which players are perhaps in on match fixing plots.

According to Hill match fixing was rampant throughout some of the Asian leagues in the 90s (Malaysian, Singapore leagues). Certain informants even claimed to have gotten to players on Liverpool, Crystal Palace, and Wimbledon. (p. 213)

According to this match fixer ("Chin"):

"I went to the Olympics in Atlanta in 1996...I fixed a game in the 1996 Olympics: Tunisia versus Portugal. I bribed some of the Tunisian guys to lose outside of the spread. They did it." (219)

Another instance:

"You see Mr. Hill, I am getting call. It is from the Philippines. You know the SEA Games that are going on now. I am arranging all the matches. Laos only lost 1-0 to Singapore. Everyone thought that Singapore would win 3 - or 4 - 0. I control the Laos team I told them to go all out. I knew they could keep the score level." (218)

"All the leagues in the world, EPL, Champions League, World Cup, they can be fixed. I had players on Crystal Palace, Wimbledon, and Liverpool. You say these are great teams? They are bull****. We can bribe them. You think because the clubs make big money in the transfer, that it means that the players won't take a bribe. That is not true. They will take the money." (221)

and on and on it goes. That's not even talking about the OFFICIALS who are bribed. With women, money, etc.

I had a Grade 8 teacher who told me that he didn't watch soccer because of "all the politics and corruption". When I read about the AFC, FIFA, etc. and their links to Russian mobsters and Asian gangs, and betting outfits, it's hard to enjoy the beautiful game.

Last night when Bernier missed that shot I had to wonder. Hill has a whole chapter explaining how various players (defense, midfielders, strikers) play their part to help fix the match.

For midfielders it could be a mistimed tackle, a poor pass, etc. Sure it looks like the guy just screwed up. But what he's really doing is fixing the match for himself or for his coach.

Who knows what sort of funny business is going on in the Gold Cup. I wouldn't be surprised if one or two officials in this tourny have been bribed.

quote:Originally posted by ottawaguy2009

and I must say that I find it difficult to watch matches now without wondering which players are perhaps in on match fixing plots.

According to Hill match fixing was rampant throughout some of the Asian leagues in the 90s (Malaysian, Singapore leagues). Certain informants even claimed to have gotten to players on Liverpool, Crystal Palace, and Wimbledon. (p. 213)

"I went to the Olympics in Atlanta in 1996...I fixed a game in the 1996 Olympics: Tunisia versus Portugal. I bribed some of the Tunisian guys to lose outside of the spread. They did it." (219)

Another instance:

"You see Mr. Hill, I am getting call. It is from the Philippines. You know the SEA Games that are going on now. I am arranging all the matches. Laos only lost 1-0 to Singapore. Everyone thought that Singapore would win 3 - or 4 - 0. I control the Laos team I told them to go all out. I knew they could keep the score level." (218)

"All the leagues in the world, EPL, Champions League, World Cup, they can be fixed. I had players on Crystal Palace, Wimbledon, and Liverpool. You say these are great teams? They are bull****. We can bribe them. You think because the clubs make big money in the transfer, that it means that the players won't take a bribe. That is not true. They will take the money." (221)

and on and on it goes. That's not even talking about the OFFICIALS who are bribed. With women, money, etc.

I had a Grade 8 teacher who told me that he didn't watch soccer because of "all the politics and corruption". When I read about the AFC, FIFA, etc. and their links to Russian mobsters and Asian gangs, and betting outfits, it's hard to enjoy the beautiful game.

Last night when Bernier missed that shot I had to wonder. Hill has a whole chapter explaining how various players (defense, midfielders, strikers) play their part to help fix the match.

For midfielders it could be a mistimed tackle, a poor pass, etc. Sure it looks like the guy just screwed up. But what he's really doing is fixing the match for himself or for his coach.

Who knows what sort of funny business is going on in the Gold Cup. I wouldn't be surprised if one or two officials in this tourny have been bribed.

^ Way to take the shine off a great win for us ottawaguy, so you think the fix is in because Bernier missed a sitter? He has only scored once in all the games he's played for Canada, he doesn't exactly have a strike rate of Ali Gerba! lol

quote:Originally posted by ottawaguy2009

Another instance:

How you can actually write such a post in all seriousness is beyond me. You obviously haven't seen Patrice Bernier play very often have you? He played very well last night, and will always put in the effort... but an offensive powerhouse he is not. Very often, things are exactly as they seem.

Just got back from Columbus after driving home through the night with BrennanFan and Razcle... There were about 30-40 of us in my estimation, which is more than was expected, and we had tons of banners there, including a gigantic Canadian flag. :D

Before I go to sleep, I'd like to give major kudos to the Salvadorans. Unlike their neighbours the Hondurans, they were VERY gracious in defeat and as we were leaving the stadium they came over and congratulated us and we ended up taking a big group picture. Very classy of them. Certain elements of our support could take a leaf out of their book, in fact.

quote:Originally posted by nolando

Fair enough, maybe I didn't give him enough credit for his work-rate, but don't tell me he gets a proper assist for Gerba's goal as that was more of an uncontrolled shot that that wasn't originally going to get past the keeper and into the net until Gerba touched it. That later, massive flub in front of goal may weigh more heavily in my mind that that brilliant cross. Maybe a B- tonight but unreliable over the long run and prone to making big mistakes in the middle of the park.

I'm not telling you he should get an assist but that he still put that shot on target and when you do that sometimes something good happens like Gerba being there. I don't think this was an easy shot to take so I'm glad it was on target.

I don't think it's fair to evaluate Bernier's game in regard of that miss in the second half. He never lost possession in the game while placing some excellent passes and when you do that as a midfielder I think you had a good game.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

I'm not telling you he should get an assist but that he still put that shot on target and when you do that sometimes something good happens like Gerba being there. I don't think this was an easy shot to take so I'm glad it was on target.

9 times out of 10, a volley like Bernier's goes 30 to 40 feet over the net. I was impressed that he was able to keep it down and get it on net.

And Ottawaguy, if there is one thing about Bernier it's that he seems to always have at least one or two near misses every Gold Cup. This is nothing new. Still think he played a fantastic game.

And I agree with Jakovic impressing. He's very strong defensively and he can move the ball up efficiently and accurately. He's awesome.

Nice to be back posting on the forum after a long break while completing my Masters Degree, but I have to say I am thrilled to see Canada playing this way under Hart. However, for every game we win, it brings forth feelings of bitterness towards the CSA for not keeping Hart for the WC campaign. Hart employs a tactical style of ball possession football and with our talented midfield, there is no reason to believe we cannot be one of the best teams in CONCACAF under his formations.

What's done is done, however, it's awesome to see the boys playing so well at the Gold Cup. Here's hoping for the best.

quote:Originally posted by I_AM_CANADIAN

Just got back from Columbus after driving home through the night with BrennanFan and Razcle... There were about 30-40 of us in my estimation, which is more than was expected, and we had tons of banners there, including a gigantic Canadian flag. :D

Before I go to sleep, I'd like to give major kudos to the Salvadorans. Unlike their neighbours the Hondurans, they were VERY gracious in defeat and as we were leaving the stadium they came over and congratulated us and we ended up taking a big group picture. Very classy of them. Certain elements of our support could take a leaf out of their book, in fact.

Glad you guys made it back ok. Props to all of you for making the trip to Columbus on a weeknight. Also good to hear the Salvadorans were friendlier than the Hondurans.

Hopefully, in 3 days, we'll all be planning for a trip to Philly.

As for the game itself, I thought we controlled the midfield easily, almost too easily. As long as we were only 1-0 up, I was looking to see if an animated dive in the box would have resulted in a penalty for the Salvadorans, which never arrived. Although we deserved to win by more, I'll take 1-0; but I can't believe how poor the opposition was.

quote:Originally posted by nolando

Simpson proved to me what I said after game one - that he hasn't progressed all that much as a footballer since his younger days under Yallop (or at least isn't showing it). He still has decent speed, but still can seem to do nothing to get around defenders except weave, which isn't working. He rarely plays off the ball at the right moment either. Why aren't we trying Nakajima over on that side and let him switch sides from time to time with Johnson who, despite poor finishing, showed oodles more creativity and passing ability than Simpson? DeJong didn't earn his spot back either with the few nervous touches he made in Simpson's place.

After watching this match that's my assessment of Simpson as well. I think he would serve us better as a latter stage sub than as a starter, regardless of the scoreline.

I took particular interest in watching Johnson because I haven't seen him play in awhile. He has some good instincts out there with an eye for playmaking. He nipped in a couple of times in a quick and stealthy fashion to force turnovers. He came close on that first half near post attempt on goal but really should have done better with the run and shot in the second half. Though he shows a lot of hustle he seems to get brushed off too easily in 1 v 1 defensive situations, both for quickness and for muscle, and he doesn't strike me as a guy who has that extra gear to beat a fullback to the line and cross. He's too much of a lightweight to be considered as d-mid candidate at this level but he looks like a guy who could play an attacking mid/second striker playmaker type.

quote:Originally posted by Lord Bob

I've already spent quite a bit of money to go to a game in Miami that is now, essentially, meaningless, but I'm okay with that. <i>Allez les rouges</i>!

It's not meaningless. I'd much rather play the quarterfinal against Honduras in Philadelphia where it won't feel like the away team. Mexico in Texas or the USA in Philadelphia are much less appealing alternatives.

^100% agreed. In fact, this next game is absolutely critical and the beauty is that only a tie is needed but, from JDG's comments in the interview with TorontoMB, its clear the team wants to keep the winning streak going.

quote:Originally posted by I_AM_CANADIAN

Good show, you did the country proud. And you guys were given lots of air time, including a nice shot of you guys celebrating after the goal.

quote:Originally posted by Markus

If any of you feel like watching the Spanish play by play of our goal, it can be found here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMEWTtUlbPc

I find the goals always sound better in Spanish. Too bad the ones from the last GC aren't still up. There were some great calls.

I agree. Besides these color commentators know their fútbol, not alike our esteem Gerry Dobson.

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

I agree. Besides these color commentators know their fútbol, not alike our esteem Gerry Dobson.

BTW, did Dobson die the top half of his hair gold in honour of the Gold Cup? Something looked a bit off to me.

Julian was simply outstanding last night, a cut above anybody else on the field, and ensured that my birthday was not ruined by a poor Canuck performance. Atiba was excellent as well.

As a team, I thought the back line was very good, Jakovic and McKenna should not be touched for now. The midfield was excellent, with Josh Simpson a bit weaker on the left. Gerba was a stud. Sutton was a bit scary at times.

As far as ratings go, pure inexplicable funkiness to rate Jackson above ANYBODY else in a Cdn jersey. He did nothing in his minutes. De Jong looked like a deer in the headlights in his couple of minutes. Go with the same starting lineup against the Ticos.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

As far as ratings go, pure inexplicable funkiness to rate Jackson above ANYBODY else in a Cdn jersey. He did nothing in his minutes. De Jong looked like a deer in the headlights in his couple of minutes. Go with the same starting lineup against the Ticos.

Agreed. Jackson didn't show anything as a like for like replacement for Gerba. And though he scored in the first half I thought Gerba was having a better second half but I guess he was gassed and needed to come off. Like you suggest, we should probably go with the same starters vs CR, unless Hart sees enough from Nakajima-Farran in training to warrant a start ahead of Simpson, but I don't think that will be the case.

Archived